Lost range after only 900m - twice on day 1, at 2 locations
1026 25 2020-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

Hi there.
First time with a DJI product today, I purchased a mavic air 2, fly more kit and spent the day charging batteries and getting it setup.

first, the picture quality is excellent. No complaints at all there - However, at both of my test locations (Mackay, Queensland, australia) the drone lost signal and returned to home after only 900m from my home position.  That's less than a 10th of the advertised distance.

I was shooting at 4k, 25fps - does this mean I can't go further than that?!

I'm a bit worried I've spent $1800 AUD on a dud.

Thanks!

David
2020-5-23
Use props
Coheavand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183051 ft
Singapore

I would think it depends on why you're flying. Over in Singapore, I can't go farther than 1km.

That said, did you point the remote control towards the drone?
What was your altitude? Did you fly in a rural/urban area?
2020-5-24
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

Only 900m? Should be longger
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

Yes, I was facing the drone.

I was shooting over this field;

Got to 950ish m, then got a poor signal warning on my phone, then the video froze, and the unit returned to home.
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_UphPZSLVHbbD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41083 ft
Australia

Hey mate I have had the same issue in SE Qld Sunshine Coast

I am rather disappointed

I have reported the problem, have you seen any fixes? I’m very u happy that it doesn’t go even half the advertised

I had clear skies etc too

Let me know if you get any fixes
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_UphPZSLVHbbD Posted at 5-24 02:12
Hey mate I have had the same issue in SE Qld Sunshine Coast

I am rather disappointed

I'll keep you updated.

Do their support ever post here or should I open a support ticket?

I'm going to try again tomorrow at 1080p / 25fps.
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_UphPZSLVHbbD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41083 ft
Australia

I see the off comment or two here but maybe email

I’m about to post here as well

Seems to be a lot of people having the same issue as us with the Air 2
2020-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They’re two things here, 1/ VLOS you can’t physically see further than 900m, so really shouldn’t be flying further.
2/ it’s your drone and you’re in charge. So environment and set up are key to how much signal you create between drone and RC. If you’re flying in an open area no buildings no housing estates no radio interference you should get maximum signal and fly close to distance parameters of the drone.
You should as much as you can point antennas in a direct line to your drone, more height with distance will also help, so 900m altitude 200ft 900M to 2k 400ft altitude.
You should also remember that others might be using this airspace like hand gliders balloonists low flying aircraft, the onus is on you.
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

I've not seen any antennas. Are they inside the remote? I've been flying in a straight line the the icon at the bottom of the display with the triangle dead centre.

I see some videos with people replacing USBs and getting 3500m in urban areas.  So I'm confused.

I'm also using a Samsung note 9 of that matters at all :-/

2020-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Toldorn Posted at 5-24 02:37
I've not seen any antennas. Are they inside the remote? I've been flying in a straight line the the icon at the bottom of the display with the triangle dead centre.

I see some videos with people replacing USBs and getting 3500m in urban areas.  So I'm confused.

The Antennas are at the top of your mobile bracket holder.
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

Makes sense.

I've read that I need to spoof GPS the unit to make it think it's I. America so it enters FCC mode.

When the suns up I'll try this and report back.

Gnite all.
2020-5-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi David, here are some suggestions you may refer to:
1. Always position the antenna properly, the antenna of the Mavic Air 2 locates on the top of the mobile phone holder, please ensure it is pointed directly to the drone.
2. Please turn off other wireless devices during the flight in case the RC's signal is affected.
3. Stay away from electromagnetic interference such as Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage wires, high-voltage power transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, and TV broadcast signal towers and so on.
4. Please fly in the open areas, tall buildings, mountains, rocks, and woods may affect the aircraft's compass and GPS signals.
5. Fly higher, the signal would be better.
2020-5-24
Use props
默默地微笑了很久
lvl.2
Flight distance : 507336 ft
China

what height your drone fly?
2020-5-24
Use props
默默地微笑了很久
lvl.2
Flight distance : 507336 ft
China

what height your drone fly?
if your height is 34m,and distance is 1000m,the angle is ony 2 degree,,,in this case the nearly house/tree will block the signal on the straight line of drone and remote controller
2020-5-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I took mine out yesterday for its maiden flight and went over 3000m one way and had no signal loss whatsoever. I do live out in the country with little interference. Was shooting at 4k 60fps no issues. Are those places in Australia rural?
2020-5-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems you were flying low and probably within many wifi bubbles.
2020-5-24
Use props
Kimosabe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166703 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-24 03:57
Hi David, here are some suggestions you may refer to:
1. Always position the antenna properly, the antenna of the Mavic Air 2 locates on the top of the mobile phone holder, please ensure it is pointed directly to the drone.
2. Please turn off other wireless devices during the flight in case the RC's signal is affected.

Dear Mindy,

Do you mean it is advised to switch off wifi and bluetooth on the mobile device that is used on the controller? Just wifi and Bluetooth or switch to Airplane mode?

Regards,

Thijs
2020-5-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Toldorn Posted at 5-24 03:53
Makes sense.

I've read that I need to spoof GPS the unit to make it think it's I. America so it enters FCC mode.

You are reading and listyening to bull.... Forget spoofing anything, the drone will never reach FCC transmission level anyway, it is set for Australian conditions, and they are not far different to the FFC ones. The problem is you are flying out over houses full of WiFi gear, and that works on the same frequency as your drone. Switch your phone to aircraft mode to start with and get away from the houses. Finally, the DJI range figures are not what you think they are:

Max Transmission Distance = 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE), 6 km (SRRC), 6 km (MIC)
In Australia were are under the SRRC spec.

2020-5-24
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

kiminx Posted at 5-24 01:10
Only 900m? Should be longger

Mine only goes 670 meters???? 2200 ft. here in USA before it hits RTH.
2020-5-24
Use props
motia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14452 ft
United States

Is it possible that your transmission frequency stuck or set to 5.8 GHz rather than auto switch between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz? I think that the 5.8 GHz have less interference but much shorter range compare to 2.4 GHz? You can check the transmission frequency in the app  
2020-5-24
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

motia Posted at 5-24 15:05
Is it possible that your transmission frequency stuck or set to 5.8 GHz rather than auto switch between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz? I think that the 5.8 GHz have less interference but much shorter range compare to 2.4 GHz? You can check the transmission frequency in the app

so your saying o switch to auto going to check my setting tomorrow.
2020-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

motia Posted at 5-24 15:05

You can manually switch .
2020-5-24
Use props
USS ENTERPRISE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

occusync is no match for CE
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

In all the videos I'm seeing if people flying their drones 3km+ they seem to be in FCC.

Im in Australia so will only be flying as far as I can see, but I'm a bit spooked that something advertised as going up to 10km, failed sub 1. I'm intending on flying a lot over water and can't have it going to 'home' as my 'home will be moving a lot!
2020-5-24
Use props
Toldorn
lvl.1
Australia

UPDATE TIME : I took my drone to the coast today, and just flew it in a stright line down the beach... It travelled 3200 before I flew into restricted airspace, so i turned around and flew it back.

Must of been a wifi congestion issue.
2020-5-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kimosabe Posted at 5-24 14:28
Dear Mindy,

Do you mean it is advised to switch off wifi and bluetooth on the mobile device that is used on the controller? Just wifi and Bluetooth or switch to Airplane mode?

Hi there, it is no necessary during the normal flight unless you would like to test its flight distance.
2020-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules