Flew MM out of range and could not connect again
1984 25 2020-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I flew my MM to 500 meters away from me at a altitude of 50 meters and lost connection, I waited for 5 minutes and did not hear or see the drone, thought it had self landed in the bush, I located the last possition it showed on the Find My Drone app, alass no drone to be found, 18 minutes later I got back home and found the drone had auto landed back in my yard. LOL, I got lucky this time.

2020-5-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Wow. Lucky you.
2020-5-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love the failsafe.
2020-5-24
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
South Africa

I love my MM even more now
2020-5-24
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

you are lucky

The log file would help to understand what causes it not to be back after 5 minutes.
2020-5-24
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
South Africa

Francoisd Posted at 5-24 08:04
you are lucky  

The log file would help to understand what causes it not to be back after 5 minutes.

I will down load the file and have a look, just busy polishing the MM and giving it some TLC now LOL
2020-5-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucky indeed.
2020-5-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Something worked as it should have. I bow to the engineers who made that happen ;-)
2020-5-24
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's no place like home
2020-5-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Glad you found it, but I'm not sure how to read your story... drones don't magically find find their way home, they return precisely to the Home Point. So why were you expecting the Home Point to be where you were, when it actually was in your backyard? Post the flight record, if you want people to help you figure out what happened.
2020-5-24
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1644009 ft
United States

dronespilot Posted at 5-24 21:21
There's no place like home

… the drone was wearing ruby slippers...
2020-5-24
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Akirasho Posted at 5-24 23:16
… the drone was wearing ruby slippers...

And 18 mins later it went home
2020-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

120ccpm Posted at 5-24 21:24
Glad you found it, but I'm not sure how to read your story... drones don't magically find find their way home, they return precisely to the Home Point. So why were you expecting the Home Point to be where you were, when it actually was in your backyard? Post the flight record, if you want people to help you figure out what happened.

Drones don't magically find find their way home, they return precisely to the Home Point. So why were you expecting the Home Point to be where you were, when it actually was in your backyard? Post the flight record, if you want people to help you figure out what happened.
It's no mystery.
Find-my-drone showed the place where he lost contact (because it only shows where the app last had contact).
He assumed the drone had come down there, but it didn't.
It did exactly as it's programmed to and came home after losing signal.
No mystery and no need to see flight data to work it out.
2020-5-25
Use props
ichan.id
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54183 ft
Indonesia

maybe it came back home when you're going to search to last position. so probably it isn't took 18 minutes.
2020-5-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-25 06:10
Drones don't magically find find their way home, they return precisely to the Home Point. So why were you expecting the Home Point to be where you were, when it actually was in your backyard? Post the flight record, if you want people to help you figure out what happened.
It's no mystery.
Find-my-drone showed the place where he lost contact (because it only shows where the app last had contact).

sounds like he was flying in a different location than his back yard but it for some reason returned to his backyard.  that's the mystery people want to figure out.     it is possible that homepoint did not update or record properly if that is the case and reverted to an old homepoint.  

my original mavic pro i used to own did this a couple of times and i think more of defective hardware issue with GPS, where lost connection with GPS module very briefly like bad solder joint and caused it to bug out.  usually when it did this it would update to drones current location but was very rare time where it would update to an old location i last flew..
2020-5-25
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
South Africa

120ccpm Posted at 5-24 21:24

Nothing to figure out, I flew the MM away from me and it lost connection with the controller, I tried everything I could to get the controller to connect and it would not due to the MM being out of range. The MM took to long to return and I panicked and went and looked for it using the Find My Drone function on the FLY app. When I finally arrived at the spot where the app showed the last point of communication with the drone, two kids said a drone stopped above them for a while and then flew back in the direction it came from. Obviously it worked on the RTH function as it should of, I had however been in to much of a panic to tough it out and wait to see if it would return.
2020-5-25
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 5-25 06:10
It's no mystery.
Find-my-drone showed the place where he lost contact (because it only shows where the app last had contact).

I flew the MM from my back yard and updated the home point where it returned to. To explain the 18 minutes - this is the time it took me to drive to the location on the Fly app look around for the drone, speak to the children and then finally return to my house, Prior to me leaving to look for the drone it felt like I had waited for 10 minutes without hearing or seeing the MM, due to my panicked state it was possible a couple of minutes at most.
2020-5-25
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
South Africa

I hope this has cleared up my story, I was so happy to be re-united with my drone I had to stand on the roof top and shout it out LOL
2020-5-25
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 488196 ft
United States

If you love something set it free. If it comes back it's yours. If not, it was never meant to be
2020-5-25
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Droneflier Posted at 5-25 09:18
Nothing to figure out, I flew the MM away from me and it lost connection with the controller, I tried everything I could to get the controller to connect and it would not due to the MM being out of range. The MM took to long to return and I panicked and went and looked for it using the Find My Drone function on the FLY app. When I finally arrived at the spot where the app showed the last point of communication with the drone, two kids said a drone stopped above them for a while and then flew back in the direction it came from. Obviously it worked on the RTH function as it should of, I had however been in to much of a panic to tough it out and wait to see if it would return.

Got it. You said the AC was 500m away when you lost control and you waited 5 minutes for it to come back, so it sounded like it went somewhere else (which turned out to be your backyard). Maybe it was facing some headwind and took a long time to come back, or maybe what felt like 5 minutes to you, was more like 1 minute... :-)
2020-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 5-25 06:37
sounds like he was flying in a different location than his back yard but it for some reason returned to his backyard.  that's the mystery people want to figure out.     it is possible that homepoint did not update or record properly if that is the case and reverted to an old homepoint.  

my original mavic pro i used to own did this a couple of times and i think more of defective hardware issue with GPS, where lost connection with GPS module very briefly like bad solder joint and caused it to bug out.  usually when it did this it would update to drones current location but was very rare time where it would update to an old location i last flew..

it is possible that homepoint did not update or record properly if that is the case and reverted to an old homepoint.  
No, that's not possible.
As soon as the drone gets GPS, it records a homepoint.
And there is no chance of "reverting to an old homepoint" as old home points are completely lost as soon as you turn off the drone.
When you power up, it has no old home point.
That's impossible as explained above.
Examination of the recorded flight data would show what really happened.

2020-5-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-25 17:36
it is possible that homepoint did not update or record properly if that is the case and reverted to an old homepoint.  
No, that's not possible.
As soon as the drone gets GPS, it records a homepoint.

not interested in what you think is or isn't possible... just telling everyone what happened before and that it is possible, regardless what you beleive
2020-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 5-25 20:20
not interested in what you think is or isn't possible... just telling everyone what happened before and that it is possible, regardless what you beleive

I'm not interested in your ignorant thoughts and misinformation.
I was just pointing out the facts for anyone that might have been confused by the nonsense you wrote.
There's no uncertainty in how GPS and homepoint recording works.
It's extremely easy to test and demonstrate how incorrect your ideas are.
2020-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 5-25 20:20

You need to lay off the beer, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard on this forum, just as well his last flight wasn’t in France ;+)::::::
2020-5-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

unfortunately for the two trolls (whom are the same people FYI), they just dont understand the reality of programming and interaction between HW and SW. yes it is very possible, has happened to me on several occasions, you cant tell me what i did or didn't see and encounter, you were not there to witness it.  the GPS module was increasingly flakey on my mavic pro before i sold it, it was commonly re-updating its home point to current position in the air or throwing "navigation system error" without going into Atti mode then reverted to last good homepoint moment later, usually last flight's HP.   
2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Droneflier. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this experience with us. It is great to know that you were able to retrieve your DJI Mavic Mini. Before your next flight kindly please check the drones status. Again, thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules