CSC Command, if you don't know what it is then WATCH THIS!
4292 14 2020-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

So many drone operators don't understand the benefits OR use of the CSC feature of our DJI and other drones, if you're not sure then watch this tutorial!

2020-5-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the link.
2020-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very informative!
2020-5-25
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks hope the thumbnail wasn't too 'sensationalist' for ya hehe
2020-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

sergeant Posted at 5-25 12:05
Thanks  hope the thumbnail wasn't too 'sensationalist' for ya hehe

Ghegheghe.
Whatever works for the views
2020-5-26
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 00:43
Ghegheghe.
Whatever works for the views

Haha, well hopefully you can see that this one is entirely informational and useful for newbies
2020-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

sergeant Posted at 5-26 00:47
Haha, well hopefully you can see that this one is entirely informational and useful for newbies

True. It is.
2020-5-26
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Always good for a review on these in-flight procedures.  Fortunately, I haven't had to use any emergency maneuvers.  
2020-5-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you actually tried either of the CSC methods?
A while back I did, as an experiment, a mid air CSC and restart but with a Phantom 3 adv.
Stemming from this I was concerned when, in connection with my Mavic Mini, I read about the new approach.
In experiments where I attached the Mini to a tether coming from above I have found that an  "anytime" CSC stops the motors, dead, when the CSC position is held for around two seconds.
With the "emergency" mode the results are more ambiguous. I found I had to hold the CSC position for five or more seconds and then the motors stopped ONLY AFTER releasing the joysticks. The attempted CSC's unerringly failed if the joysticks were released before the five seconds are up. The ambiguity lies in the fact that the "hold for five seconds and the release" approach does not always stop the motors.
Obviously the flight path followed by the drone during these experiments was constrained by the tether and is not the flight path that would be followed if the attempt were made in free flight. In an attempt to replicate free-flight I hand-held the Mini and moved it about. The results were even more uncertain.

I am deaf and relying on subtitles which makes following subitle and a video awkward.

For clarity then, are you saying that in "emergency" mode the software will only allow the CSC maneuver to work when it 'considers' the drone to be in an emergency situation?
Have you verified this with DJI?
For me the manual is badly phrased in regard to this. It does not, IMO, make clear that, as I understand your 'suggestion', the stopping of the motors is at the discretion of the software based on some citeria over which we have no control nor knowledge.

This might explain the ambiguity I found but, in theory, is not the flight path followed by the drone whilst the sticks are in the CSC position is fairly unusual? A radical descending helix with yaw obviously but also possible spin? If I am correct I think and must be fairly close to an emergency in its own right.
2020-6-1
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-1 01:21
Have you actually tried either of the CSC methods?
A while back I did, as an experiment, a mid air CSC and restart but with a Phantom 3 adv.
Stemming from this I was concerned when, in connection with my Mavic Mini, I read about the new approach.

Thanks for the comment, yes that's absolutely the understanding and the content of the video, sorry about the subtitles, sadly they're auto-generated and YouTube often makes mistakes.

'Anytime' means that the CSC will allow you to cut the motors off at any stage, while 'Emergency Only' means that if the software of the drone deems there to be an issue (stuck prop, drone tilted beyond threshold or otherwise' then it'll allow a CSC, but otherwise it won't.

In my view, 'Anytime' should be the default, but DJI default it to 'Emergency Only'.
2020-6-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks. I suppose that then leaves a pilot who is attempting am emergency mode CSC relying on the consequent flight path being deemed suitable.
Assuming this is correct I really think the manual needs ammending to reflect that, in emergency mode, the implementation of the motor stop is at the discretion of the software and NOT the pilot.
I realise of course that there is a trade off between being able to avoid a collision with a person etc. and averting the risk of an accidental CSC but, coming from a P3, I find the two second hold of the anytime mode a bit quick and I do think the manual should specify any delay times. I can not guarantee that my experiments yielded results that would be seen in free flight.

I know the auto subtitles are 'uncertain' lol, frequently comical and not your fault.
There is also a feature, accessed via the 3 buttons below a video, which allows a transcript of subtitles to be viewed and although. presented like that, they often makes more sense than the flashed up subtitles they do suffer from the auto generation.
2020-6-1
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-1 02:14
Thanks. I suppose that then leaves a pilot who is attempting am emergency mode CSC relying on the consequent flight path being deemed suitable.
Assuming this is correct I really think the manual needs ammending to reflect that, in emergency mode, the implementation of the motor stop is at the discretion of the software and NOT the pilot.
I realise of course that there is a trade off between being able to avoid a collision with a person etc. and averting the risk of an accidental CSC but, coming from a P3, I find the two second hold of the anytime mode a bit quick and I do think the manual should specify any delay times. I can not guarantee that my experiments yielded results that would be seen in free flight.

Actually the manual does state this, you'll notice in the video that we put a screenshot showing this specific line, pause it there and have a read.

Hopefully this video will be useful as this feature really is misunderstood by many operators, let's hope that one day this tip helps someone to avoid an accident/
2020-6-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, not wishing to be awkward but if you are referring  to the sections of the video around 4:23 & 7:22 I am afraid we will have to disagree about whether or not the "Stopping the motors mid-flight" section makes clear that the stopping of the motors is at the discretion of the software. If you are referring to some other section of the video then you have my apologises, I have missed it.

To my mind the "Stopping the Motors Mid-flight" section quite clearly implies that the pilot has command and makes no mention or implication that the drone has discretion or is in command. Though I must admit that I found the mentioning of "emergency" and various scenarios very puzzling because I asked myself "why would they mention these when an in flight CSC would normally only be used in an emergency, was I missing sommething"?

Anyhow, I think it is safe to say we agree that the emergency mode is not to our liking. Your video and this discussion have improved my understanding of it, I sincerely thank you for that.
2020-6-1
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-1 03:51
Hi, not wishing to be awkward but if you are referring  to the sections of the video around 4:23 & 7:22 I am afraid we will have to disagree about whether or not the "Stopping the motors mid-flight" section makes clear that the stopping of the motors is at the discretion of the software. If you are referring to some other section of the video then you have my apologises, I have missed it.

To my mind the "Stopping the Motors Mid-flight" section quite clearly implies that the pilot has command and makes no mention or implication that the drone has discretion or is in command. Though I must admit that I found the mentioning of "emergency" and various scenarios very puzzling because I asked myself "why would they mention these when an in flight CSC would normally only be used in an emergency, was I missing sommething"?

Apologies no you're right, I was actually referring to the DJI explanation of this setting elsewhere but now can't locate it, I'll keep digging but do agree that this manual could definitely benefit from more explanation.
2020-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sergeant. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative video you have posted regarding the CSC Command function. Just a reminder that the motors can be stopped mid-flight anytime once the pilot performs a combination stick command ( CSC ). Stopping the motor in mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. In addition I will post an additional information about the CSC. Great find and thank you for your support.

2020-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules