9947 19 2020-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35797 ft
United States

Hi Everybody.
Do we need to remove the propellers after the flight for the day and store the aircraft without propellers if we fly every other or 2 days ? Or do we need to remove them after every flight ? I am asking this because during the pandemic or even later due to bad weather conditions I won't be able to fly everyday. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

If we do not fly for a long time like 1 week or more or when we travel that makes sense. Keeping them on could damage the level and the balance for a long time period .

I justed talked to the DJI phone support but honestly he could not satisfy my question . First he said I needed to remove after the flight if I would not fly everyday . When I stated that my online searches showed me most of the pilots say putting them on and off constantly would damage the propellers and the motors ; he said then, if I would keep the aircraft in a nice bag and careful with propellers there wouldn't be any issues whatever my flight schedule . So I am really confused.

What you guys think? Experiences ? Thanks in advance      

2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Lucas, I'm sorry to hear your confusion about the propellers, the intention to advise remove the propellers after the flight is to protect the propellers. If you can protect the propellers well, then keep them on the drone is also ok. Avoid bending and crushing, and be sure to spread the propellers before each takeoff. Thanks.
2020-5-29
Use props
djiuser_a3Fq2a2oIFcb
New
United States

I have not been removing the propellers It's been a week since i flown
2020-5-27
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
United States

You don't need to remove them, but at the same time it doesn't harm not to take them off.

I personally take mine off as I don't want to bend the props while sitting in the bag and also to relief the prop springs that hold them in place.
2020-5-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only remove the props if Im boarding a plane with the drone, the rest of the time they stay on.
2020-5-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 5-28 01:22
I only remove the props if Im boarding a plane with the drone, the rest of the time they stay on.

just curious, what's the reason for that?
2020-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 5-28 01:28
just curious, what's the reason for that?

Two reasons,  one if they want me to power it on at customs then I don't have to worry about connecting the controller to it, also because of travelling if it gets dropped or bumped there's not worries about damaging the props.  The rest of the time its either in a hard case or the fly more bag with them attached.
2020-5-28
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have seen a post where DJI recommend storing in the bag without the props on. Personally I keep the props off when I'm not using the drone. If I'm going flying ill stick the batteries on charge to top them up and pop the props back on. Load up the bag and go shoot. When I get back I take the props off for storage.
2020-5-28
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

My view is it always goes back in the bag (FMC) after use, props on.  I don't ever want to have a prop failure, due to taking them off and on.  Once they are one, they don't come off unless I damage one.
2020-5-28
Use props
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
United States

Cravenfan Posted at 5-28 05:55
My view is it always goes back in the bag (FMC) after use, props on.  I don't ever want to have a prop failure, due to taking them off and on.  Once they are one, they don't come off unless I damage one.

Cravenfan, actually your process is what I really like to do, putting them on and off could damage the props and maybe the motors or the connections. But obviously DJI support and some pilots suggest to put them off if you do not fly frequently . There must be an explanation , there must  be a maintenance requirement  since the props are actually the main parts during the flights.
2020-5-28
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Lucas Parker Posted at 5-28 06:00
Cravenfan, actually your process is what I really like to do, putting them on and off could damage the props and maybe the motors or the connections. But obviously DJI support and some pilots suggest to put them off if you do not fly frequently . There must be an explanation , there must  be a maintenance requirement  since the props are actually the main parts during the flights.

Ya, wonder if there is any tension issues on the rotors, with the props on?  That's all I could think of...would be nice if an Admin clarifies the reasoning behind it.  
2020-5-28
Use props
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
United States

Cravenfan Posted at 5-28 09:39
Ya, wonder if there is any tension issues on the rotors, with the props on?  That's all I could think of...would be nice if an Admin clarifies the reasoning behind it.

Exactly ! We need a clarification on this .
2020-5-28
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5871467 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never taken them off unless they need to be replaced. Already have the original mavic air, the mavic 2 zoom and planning on getting the mavic air 2. Most don't take them off anyways, plus the props are cheap and you can always get more. And if your worried about damaging your props you can get prop guards for them, they are probably out already by many accessory companies like pgytech...
2020-5-28
Use props
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
United States

ting-ting Posted at 5-28 12:59
I never taken them off unless they need to be replaced. Already have the original mavic air, the mavic 2 zoom and planning on getting the mavic air 2. Most don't take them off anyways, plus the props are cheap and you can always get more. And if your worried about damaging your props you can get prop guards for them, they are probably out already by many accessory companies like pgytech...

Right now there is no prop guards for Mavic Air 2. Props are cheap to replace but I am worried if I am gonna miss the defection on the props and get in trouble during the flight and also the tension on the motors.
2020-5-28
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas Parker Posted at 5-28 13:02
Right now there is no prop guards for Mavic Air 2. Props are cheap to replace but I am worried if I am gonna miss the defection on the props and get in trouble during the flight and also the tension on the motors.

https://www.pgytech.com/collections/for-mavic-air-2/products/mavic-air-2-propeller-holder
2020-5-28
Use props
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
United States

ting-ting Posted at 5-28 13:17
https://www.pgytech.com/collections/for-mavic-air-2/products/mavic-air-2-propeller-holder

Thanks for the info. Its on pre order. Ships after June 10th. I am gonna buy . Thanks again
2020-5-28
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas Parker Posted at 5-28 13:24
Thanks for the info. Its on pre order. Ships after June 10th. I am gonna buy . Thanks again

Glad to help... Prop guards on my Mavic 2 Zoom
20200528_163127.jpg
20200528_163132.jpg
2020-5-28
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas Parker Posted at 5-28 13:24

Glad to help... Prop guards on my Mavic 2 Zoom
20200528_163132.jpg
20200528_163127.jpg
2020-5-28
Use props
Lucas Parker
lvl.2
United States

ting-ting Posted at 5-28 13:35
Glad to help... Prop guards on my Mavic 2 Zoom

Awesome... Thanks again...