Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi

Does anyone elses get gimbal drop/flop ( No funny jokes about my gimbal flop) when flying into the Wind or in Sports mode?
Really annoying. Your flying along and then the gimbal drops down about 20degrees and you have to manually raise it again.
its like the small gimbal motors cant handle any kind of wind over 20mph if your flying into the wind or in SM.

2020-5-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Does it only happen on windy days? It could be the drone pitch trying to compensate so no damage comes to the gimbal at high speeds.
2020-5-28
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 5-28 22:46
Does it only happen on windy days? It could be the drone pitch trying to compensate so no damage comes to the gimbal at high speeds.

Yeah only on windy days. 18mph+ flying into the wind.
2020-5-29
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Suren Posted at 5-28 22:46
Does it only happen on windy days? It could be the drone pitch trying to compensate so no damage comes to the gimbal at high speeds.

That makes no sense. Gimbal facing downward while flying forwards only *increases* drag, and thus forces on the gimbal.

Gimbal facing in the direction of movement would reduce it, so approximately towards the horizon (i.e. upwards)  if flying level.

This video mentions it too, no wind mention, but flying in sport:

Around the 6:00 mark.

One interesting tidbit is that the original Air had a similar bug initially, where the gimbal would flop after flying backwards and stopping suddenly due to collision avoidance. AFAIK they eventually ironed it out (not sure, i’ve flown mine without collision avoidance after the first month or so, and sold it recently so can’t check).
2020-5-29
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

SLiWooDy Posted at 5-29 01:37
Yeah only on windy days. 18mph+ flying into the wind.

Does it change at all if you enable/disable allowing gimbal to face upwards in the Fly app settings?
2020-5-29
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

Gimbal dropped on my MA1 in sports mode. My MA2 does the same thing.  It is what it is.. Still love her!
2020-5-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

When the aircraft is flying forward against the wind, in order to resist the wind, the aircraft needs to maintain a larger attitude, and the gimbal is relatively easy to reach the upper limit position, which may cause the phenomenon of dropping down. It is recommended to adjust the gimbal downward or slow down the flight speed when flying forward against the wind;
When flying forward in Sport Mode, since the speed is faster and the aircraft attitude is larger, in this case, the gimbal may easily drop down, you are recommended to adjust the gimbal downward or control the aircraft to smoothly to avoid a sudden change in speed.
2020-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

0rcinus Posted at 5-29 15:54
That makes no sense. Gimbal facing downward while flying forwards only *increases* drag, and thus forces on the gimbal.

Gimbal facing in the direction of movement would reduce it, so approximately towards the horizon (i.e. upwards)  if flying level.

All new dji craft react this way, orignal Mavic pro was probably the last craft not to do this, but many orignal mavics were lost due to strong winds and a inability to change its attitude. If you think about it against the wind craft has to increase its pitch, if gimbal doesn’t turn down wind could easily force camera up so catching the wind.
The video you posted is totally wrong and does not give a fair review, this absolutely does not occur unless wind is very strong or flying fast in sport mode.
2020-5-30
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 5-29 15:54
That makes no sense. Gimbal facing downward while flying forwards only *increases* drag, and thus forces on the gimbal.

...ouch...thx for pointing out those early booboos...hopefully DJI will adress those issues shortly...canceled my order for now and will see how the firmwares unfold...
2020-5-30
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have only had it happen in fairly brisk wind, say 15mph + .
In Normal mode and sports mode.  
2020-6-4
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121407 ft
United States

only had it happen once in sport mode and it was quite windy.  so far only the one time.
2020-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules