Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mbehzadpix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2126677 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Guys!

in MM User's manual, it s mentioned the max height that the Mavic Mini can fly is 3000m!

My question is  that whether it s kind of advice or we are limited to fly under this partcular height!

Thanks

2020-5-30
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

To be honest, I wouldn't even try to fly that high.

First of all: Everything looks like viewing something in Google Maps. Everything just looks boring and the same.

Second: The Mini is too light and very sensitive to wind. I would be pretty afraid about that it gets blown away or something like this. I'm pretty sure you can expect heavy trouble in these heights with something small like the Mini. If you're willing to risk 400€, feel free to give it a try. ;)
2020-5-30
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

there are a lot of videos from heights above 3000m you can check on youtube, i think i have seen as up to as 3600 m height
2020-5-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mizzu Posted at 5-30 03:29
To be honest, I wouldn't even try to fly that high.

First of all: Everything looks like viewing something in Google Maps. Everything just looks boring and the same.

I think he means to start flying at 3000 meter, i.e.  from a moutain etc

2020-5-30
Use props
AndreaBB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 542044 ft
United Kingdom

MM is limited via software to 400 meters in height from the take off point. That value is in case you want to take off from a mountain
2020-5-30
Use props
AndreaBB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 542044 ft
United Kingdom

MM is limited via software to 400 meters in height from the take off point. That value is in case you want to take off from a mountain
2020-5-30
Use props
mbehzadpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-30 03:54

Exactly! starting from somewhere above 3000 m in mountains
2020-5-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mbehzadpix Posted at 5-30 04:36
Exactly! starting from somewhere above 3000 m in mountains

guess the limited power of the MM will cause problems flyinh that high.
Not only height but temperature and barometric pressure will have effect.

So start a flight and be very carefull, keep in mind that max power warnings are possible.

cheers
JJB
2020-5-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching out. Yes, you can fly on that specific height as indicated on the website as a maximum takeoff altitude of the DJI Mavic Mini. However, we strongly suggest to please make sure that the drone is well calibrated and also please make sure that you are flying on a recommended temperature to avoid any possible errors. Please be more careful about flying on this height. Please let us know if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support!
2020-5-30
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Here's a video of a mini flying at 3500m above sea level...  No sweat..
2020-5-30
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Very nice vídeo
2020-5-30
Use props
mbehzadpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PhasedSpaces Posted at 5-30 10:01
Here's a video of a mini flying at 3500m above sea level...  No sweat..Video

Very Nice! Thank you
2020-5-30
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

AndreaBB Posted at 5-30 04:12

MM is limited to 500 meters, but the question is flying in mountain.
2020-5-30
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

3500m no probs here. So be gentle on the sticks. Braking time is a bit longer than at sea level
2020-5-31
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

stephjant Posted at 6-1 02:43
Why are people even discussing this. In the U.K. you cannot fly above 120 metres. The idiots that flaunt this rule are just going to spoil it for the rest of us as more regulations are brought in because of the idiots

why are you even commenting if you don't have anything higher than 1500 m there and the question is not how high you can fly the drone but the height at taking off...
2020-6-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can fly the mini as high as the radio signal will allow, so I presume 4 miles USA. Only problem you’ll have is bypassing djis limit of 500m altitude.
2020-6-1
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Nice video!
2020-6-1
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Very nice video. We have so beautiful landscapes in France
2020-6-1
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

The 3000M is a MM limit is merely the service ceiling which is measured above mean sea level (MSL) and the max height MM can safely be flown. It is NOT the height above the ground (AGL). The two are NOT related. The service ceiling is not an absolute limit as is not a limiting factor on how high it can be flown and you are not limited to 3000M as long as your drone is within 400' AGL. This means you can fly your drone legally above 3000M as long as the MM is within 400' AGL.

2020-6-1
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

If people start sending their Mini at that altitude, the government will control it and you and every body doing those dangerous behaviors will totaly ruine the hobby for the rest of us.

I guess taking off from a mountain is different, but the wind can be 10km at ground level and be 100km at 3000 feet. bye bye drone.

YOu can check www.ventusky.com before flying. you can check at many altitude and on different dates. Very useful!
2020-6-5
Use props
Athiril
lvl.1

Australia

The air gets thinner and the load on the prop goes down which means less thrust and less current draw from the motors, there’s videos online showing the Mini dropping because it doesn’t have enough thrust in some areas on a mountain, it could happen on a very hot day too

If you have some kind of prop adapters where you can put either bigger props on, or props with more pitch etc (or even, 3, 4 blade props) you can get the current draw back up and produce enough thrust to fly in thinner air
2020-6-5
Use props
Athiril
lvl.1

Australia

Why are people even discussing this. In the U.K. you cannot fly above 120 metres. The idiots that flaunt this rule are just going to spoil it for the rest of us as more regulations are brought in because of the idiots

Everybody else in the world should follow UK laws rather than their own country’s and also only fly from sea level
2020-6-5
Use props
Gregory.Opera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151122 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-30 03:54

This was my understanding - that this figure refers to the maximum altitude you can take-off from, not the maximum altitude you can fly to.

When I first got my Mavic Mini, I was playing around with my settings and discovered that I could fly my Mavic Mini as high as 500M (relax - I was in a remote area with no air traffic)... It's interesting to know that my drone can fly that high, but I don't think I'd make a regular habit of it because the wind is awfully strong at that height, it's unnecessasary (how often does one actually need to operate at this height in the Real World?) and of course, it's awfully dangerous to fly at such a height (jets, helicopterrs, etc).

I'm sceptical that the Mavic Mini could hit 1,000M, let alone 3,000M - and to be honest, I don't think that consumer drones should even have that capability...
2020-6-6
Use props
BrokenKds
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344423 ft
Australia

Learn to read moron.
2020-9-26
Use props
nevac
First Officer
Flight distance : 9776798 ft
Serbia

I did not fly over 3000 m because we do not have such a high mountain. I flew at altitudes from 1200 to 2400 m without any problem.

2020-9-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

All aircraft have a service ceiling.  In the case of real aircraft (either fixed or rotary wing), here in the US, there are rules in the part of the FAA rules that relate to aircraft certifications, that define what constitutes the service ceiling.  As I recall, it is something like the density altitude where rate of climb drops down to 50 feet per minute at max rated weight.  Several factors effect the rate of climb of an aircraft.  One of the biggest is loss of power from the engine because of less oxygen available to the combustion chamber due to less ambient air pressure.  This can be partially compensated for by turbocharging the engine.  However some of the other factors are not that easy.  Propeller efficiency drops off with less ambient air pressure.  That can be compensated for by designing a propeller for high altitude flight.  A variable pitch propeller helps, but not completely.  Wings can be designed for use at higher altitude as well.  There are a few other factors as well, but that is the obvious major ones that the aircraft affects.  Temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure also have a factor - and we humans have no control over those.  For a fixed wing aircraft that is not turbocharged, performance falls off the higher you get.  Helicopters are the similar.

Of course for our electric motor powered drones, loss of engine performance due to less oxygen being available is not an issue!  However wing / propeller efficiencies and the weather related factors still do.  There will be a density altitude where a Mavic Mini will be incapable of lifting itself off the ground at all.  That is likely well above the previously mentioned 3,000 meters.  However at 3,000 meters, I would expect performance to be much poorer than it is at or near sea level.  In a  couple weeks, I will be at Mammoth Mtn in California with my drone.  That is around 3,000 meters and I will be doing some flying.  I have every expectation that performance will be substantially degraded - I know mine is!

In full disclosure.  I am a licensed fixed wing pilot with a Commercial license with Airplane Single Engine Land and Instrument Airplane ratings.  I learned some of the rules behind how service ceilings are determined in ground school - but that was almost 45 years ago.  I need to know what the service ceiling of an airplane that I fly is, but not how the rules determine what that service ceiling is (Cessna can worry about that part).
2020-9-26
Use props
Gregory.Opera
lvl.2
United States

And here come the Drone Police...

*Rolls eyes*

MM  is limited via software to 400 meters in height from the take off  point. That value is in case you want to take off from a mountain

No  it's not - I've hit 500 meters with my Mavic Mini... It's hard to do  though, because usually the wind just become too much for the Mavic  Mini; it needs to be an especially calm day.

2020-9-26
Use props
Gregory.Opera
lvl.2
United States

No it's not - I've hit 500 meters with my Mavic Mini... It's hard to do though, because usually the wind just become too much for the Mavic Mini; it needs to be an especially calm day.

2020-9-26
Use props
Gregory.Opera
lvl.2
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 6-5 17:01
If people start sending their Mini at that altitude, the government will control it and you and every body doing those dangerous behaviors will totaly ruine the hobby for the rest of us.

I guess taking off from a mountain is different, but the wind can be 10km at ground level and be 100km at 3000 feet. bye bye drone.

UAV Forecast is handy, too... Like Ventusky, they have both a website and applications for Apple iOS / Google Android.

I  have preset the hardware limitations of my Mavic Mini (e.g. it's maximum wind  tollerance, it's maximum environmental temperature, etc...), then all I  need to do is open the application and I can see at a glance whether I'm  good to go or not.

I also use the Ventusky application, but mostly for the wind direction (because I live in a coastal city, next to the Pacific Ocean)... UAV Forecast is my primary go-to application.

2020-9-26
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

nevac Posted at 9-26 09:08
I did not fly over 3000 m because we do not have such a high mountain. I flew at altitudes from 1200 to 2400 m without any problem.

https://youtu.be/aDmPj86ld5I

Was that w/ the Mavic Mini?
2020-9-26
Use props
nevac
First Officer
Serbia

AntDX316 Posted at 9-26 20:45
Was that w/ the Mavic Mini?

Yes everything was filmed with a Mavic Mini
2020-9-27
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Great videos guys Thank you
2020-9-27
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

nevac Posted at 9-27 00:19
Yes everything was filmed with a Mavic Mini

Was it straight off the camera or edited?
2020-9-27
Use props
nevac
First Officer
Serbia

AntDX316 Posted at 9-27 07:06
Was it straight off the camera or edited?

Everything has been edited in Adobe Premiere with color correction
2020-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules