DJI Fly - What Am I Losing from Go 4 App?
1047 19 2020-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rochambeaux
lvl.2
United States

Sold my Mavic Air when I ordered my Air 2.  While I hated the way the original Air sounded, I had no idea that the Air 2 would not have Go 4 support.
In addition to all the detailed controls and info about the drone, am I losing all the Quickshot capabilities, etc?

I just  unboxed and connected the drone (no flight time yet).  Seriously debating returning it while I can due to the apprent huge downgrade in app support going from Go to Fly.

For those that use the original Air and the Air 2, can you live with Fly vs. Go 4?
2020-6-1
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi
I am like you. I sold my Mavic Air when I decided to get the new Air 2.
My reasons are similar if not almost identical to yours. ( noise level, battery, WiFi transmission)

I am so used to the Go4 app and am disappointed that there is no gimbal sensitivity controls for the Mavic Air 2 in the Fly app.
They say that they will upgrade the app. But there is really no indication as to when, just the vague ‘Future’.
I regret selling my Mavic Air but this is a good drone and it is quieter and has some great features over the original.
If you feel strongly return it.  But what will you get to replace the Mavic Air 1?
2020-6-1
Use props
Rochambeaux
lvl.2
United States

ET214 Posted at 6-1 16:33
Hi
I am like you. I sold my Mavic Air when I decided to get the new Air 2.
My reasons are similar if not almost identical to yours. ( noise level, battery, WiFi transmission)

Likely wait for the Mavic 3 series.  This whole situation is deja vu.  I ordered the OnePlus 8 Pro becuase it touted dual SIM.  After I received it I found out that dual SIMs is to be implemented "in a future update".  So I returend it - good idea because 2 months later still no update on the horizons.
2020-6-1
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rochambeaux Posted at 6-1 19:00
Likely wait for the Mavic 3 series.  This whole situation is deja vu.  I ordered the OnePlus 8 Pro becuase it touted dual SIM.  After I received it I found out that dual SIMs is to be implemented "in a future update".  So I returend it - good idea because 2 months later still no update on the horizons.

Well maybe this may help you.  
Mavic Air 2 Big Updates In Q3: Gimbal/Camera/Exposure Settings And More!

If you return it you can always buy it again  if you wish but I did hear rumors about tariffs again on Chinese goods.
2020-6-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

What makes you think that the Mavic 3 series will not use the Fly app also? All indications from DJI are that they are done with the old platform.
2020-6-1
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

I fly a Mavic Pro with the Go4 app. Just flew the Mavic Air 2 over the weekend with the GoFly app. I do prefer the Go4 app for the ability to control gimbal speed and the advanced camera settings for stills and video. Now the GoFly app takes a few flights to get used to the menu and camera settings. I used the work around for the gimbal control on the MA2. If you hold your finger on the screen you can control the horizontal and vertical movement of the gimbal.
2020-6-1
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

I concur Go 4 is a 32 bit app. The Fly app (64 bit) is most likely the future.
2020-6-1
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-6-1
Use props
Rochambeaux
lvl.2
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 6-1 19:40

So is the plan/rumor that DJI will update Go 4 to support the Air 2 or that those features will be rolled out on Fly?
2020-6-1
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

https://bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=245486
2020-6-1
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Do you often make expensive purchases without doing a reasonable amount of research? It was discussed in detail on several forums & in the press that the MA2 uses the DJI Fly app. But yes, it takes a bit of getting used to and most of the functions are there and, in most cases, easier to get to.  We all await the return of gimbal sensitivity adjustment & TapFly, but the MA2 flys much more smoothly than the original, and in Tripod mode, smoothe video transitions can be achieved.
2020-6-1
Use props
Rochambeaux
lvl.2
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-1 22:37
Do you often make expensive purchases without doing a reasonable amount of research? It was discussed in detail on several forums & in the press that the MA2 uses the DJI Fly app. But yes, it takes a bit of getting used to and most of the functions are there and, in most cases, easier to get to.  We all await the return of gimbal sensitivity adjustment & TapFly, but the MA2 flys much more smoothly than the original, and in Tripod mode, smoothe video transitions can be achieved.
Thanks for the snarky troll. Yes I do a substantial amount of research and never came across it. Guess I'm just not as smart as you. Feel better about yourself now?
2020-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rochambeaux. Thank you for reaching out. The major difference between the DJI Go 4 and the DJI Fly appication lies in the products supported by each application. Other than some minor user interface variations, DJI Go 4 is quite similar to DJI Fly application. In addition, the DJI Fly application interface was designed to be simplified and ultra-intuitive and it is compatible for DJI Mavic Mini,DJI Mavic Air 2. While the DJI Go 4 application is compatible with the DJI Mavic Series, DJI Spark, DJI Phantom 4, and more. Thank you.
2020-6-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 6-1 19:40

Go 4 on IOS must be 64 bit as since IOS 12 32 bit apps were dropped.
2020-6-2
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-2 00:08
Go 4 on IOS must be 64 bit as since IOS 12 32 bit apps were dropped.

At the time Go was coded most handsets were 32bit and those apps will usually run on 64bit architecture however, your comment for IOS app store is valid perhaps the question that should be asked is whether or not a 32bit version of Go is still available via other means; for IOS and Android handsets for those not on 64bit but with a desire to fly albeit enforcing an older drone choice.

There are rumoured Q3 updates coming for the Fly app that will hopefully improve it greatly but it will never be coded to operate on 32bit architecture at this point nor would it make sense to do so.  It doesn't matter what's added typically users (myself included) will always want more and for less.
2020-6-2
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Rochambeaux Posted at 6-1 22:52
Thanks for the snarky troll. Yes I do a substantial amount of research and never came across it. Guess I'm just not as smart as you. Feel better about yourself now?

2020-6-2
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

HI,

DJI Fly is simply DJI Go 5. You can check it by going to internal storage on your Android mobile and opening DJI folder. You will see no DJI Fly but dji.go.v5 folder. This folder contains all your DJI Fly data.

To see more suggestions for DJI Fly improvements and add yours for DJI to consider see: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216584

Mirek
2020-6-2
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mirek L Posted at 6-2 05:42
HI,

DJI Fly is simply DJI Go 5. You can check it by going to internal storage on your Android mobile and opening DJI folder. You will see no DJI Fly but dji.go.v5 folder. This folder contains all your DJI Fly data.

The folder might be titled so but DJI refer to the app as DJI FLY suggesting otherwise is pointless and just leads to confusion in some quarters.  If it were really DJI GO 5 then one would expect an enhancement to and not a total replacement interface.  It's a horses for courses conversation but since the vendor titles it as FLY that should be the reference we use (as per the app forum section) regardless of folder naming unless pointing someone at specific files/location surely
2020-6-2
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 6-2 06:22
The folder might be titled so but DJI refer to the app as DJI FLY suggesting otherwise is pointless and just leads to confusion in some quarters.  If it were really DJI GO 5 then one would expect an enhancement to and not a total replacement interface.  It's a horses for courses conversation but since the vendor titles it as FLY that should be the reference we use (as per the app forum section) regardless of folder naming unless pointing someone at specific files/location surely

My point was different. It was that DJI moved on from DJI Go 4.
I believe that all new DJI drones will start using DJI Fly and there will be no more DJI Go 4 development. DJI  already used version number 5 for DJI Fly so no more major updates for DJI Go.
Anyways - just speculation.

Mirek  
2020-6-2
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mirek L Posted at 6-2 06:27
My point was different. It was that DJI moved on from DJI Go 4.
I believe that all new DJI drones will start using DJI Fly and there will be no more DJI Go 4 development. DJI  already used version number 5 for DJI Fly so no more major updates for DJI Go.
Anyways - just speculation.

I suspect you are right in respect of Go but given the lacking features in Fly currently it doesn't bode well for a MP3 any time soon, more over I suspect the Q3 updates suggested to FLY might be the warm up for a new year MP3 delivery with EU certification etc. Having said that there are a lot of items to get into FLY before any 'pro' would be happy to use it full time and due to the dynamic nature of features based on drone connected could also introduce complexity unnecessarily.  A better approach would be leave the option in place and just enable disable rather than hide/remove but I guess they are trying to cover all ends of the market from starter upward.
2020-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules