916 8 2020-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37923 ft
France

Hello

I am new to drone video & Mavic AIR 2 and have a small problem with my video settings or quality. But I guess it is rather user error than hardware

Tried to fly last weekend for the third time, as it was a bright & sunny day (afternoon) I out on the ND 16 (but forgot to but the shutter speed on manual). I looked to the histogram and did a minus -0,7 exposure compensation and locked that value.

For best quality in slowing the video down in post I selected 4K 60 frames. I may need to add that it was a bit a windy day and I think I flew in normal, not tripod modus.

I flow over a canal with trees on both sides (10-15 meters away on each side) and when I now look to the video the leaves the leaves of threes look very artificial / strange even when I reduced the video speed to 50% = 30 frames per second. Same in 100% or even 200%.

I expected a better quality (the canal is nice & sharp) so is this due to

• Not manual setting a correct shutter speed of 1/120 sec
  • Filming in 60 frames for quality & possibility to slow down, 30 frames would have been better
  • The wind moving the little leaves & the drone too much (but gimbal did a great job to keep drone footage stable)

Or the mix of all three ???? Really wondering, in a first impression I was more happy with the 2,7 K of my mini … therefore I am sure its is a user setting error.

Thanks for any help and TGIF

Bjoern

Video link added:  Premiere export source resolution:

2020-6-5
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

You would likely get some qualified feedback if you shared some video it could be related to sharpening or something completely different providing some example footage makes it much easier for people to offer comment.
2020-6-5
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

Uploaded the video but no further comments after ? Any help or suggestion please ...

Thanks in advance
2020-6-8
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

b_hirsch_photo Posted at 6-8 00:00
Uploaded the video but no further comments after ? Any help or suggestion please ...

Thanks in advance

Your clip is very short and it is hard to analyze what is not quite right with the view.
When I slow it down it looks as if it was recorded at 30fps - not 60fps (the leaves jump).

Was this clip recorded 4K60fps? Or did you post-process in 60fps?

Also, there seem to be a bit too much sharpening of leaves. This is known issue which you cannot correct but you could negate it a bit with slower shutter speed and motion blur.

Can you describe what is the "strangeness" in the trees you don't like and how it differs from your 2.7K Mavic Mini experience?

Mirek
2020-6-8
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

Hello Mirek

the spot was. recorded in 4K 60 and is played back with 50% speed in the beginning & the end and 100% speed. in the middle .  I dont like the visual "mass" of the small leaves in the trees ....  but this is maybe due to wind, wrong shutter speed. or 4K60 recording. I have the impression that I had finer details & less a "undefined mass of leaves" when shooting trees with the mini .. hard to explain .. I just feel the trees miss. resolution?

Thank you for having a look & sorry for the short clip only.

Greetings Bjoern
2020-6-8
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

My "problem" is that I more frames /sec would give more quality .. so. expected to. see better quality &. details when moving up from 24 frames to 60 . .... and this is not what I. see. in my. video
2020-6-8
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

b_hirsch_photo Posted at 6-8 09:44
My "problem" is that I more frames /sec would give more quality .. so. expected to. see better quality &. details when moving up from 24 frames to 60 . .... and this is not what I. see. in my. video

All right - quality does not increase with frame rate.

As a matter of fact, you can have sometimes quite opposite effect depending on your video player and your h/w. 4K60fps does use H.265 codec. This may tax your h/w or editing software and may cause that what you see is actually worse than if encoded with H.264.

To give you an example. I use Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve editor - it is a full blown professional editor used by Hollywood studios. To edit H.265 videos you need to run through optimization first which blows the size of the videos but is absolutely necessary for editing software to be able to work properly. Usually, when you render final video, you would ask editor to use original files, not optimized. But with H.265 it is tricky. Sometimes final render of H.265 files looks worse than optimized version. Weird but true. At least with the h/w I have.

In any case - from what you described and what I see, the following may have contributed to "subpar" perception of your clip:
  • slight oversharpening by MA2
  • wind - with ND16 filter - perhaps you were getting more motion blur than you would like

If you are certain that your h/w and s.w support H.265 perfectly, than fine - you can use 4k60fps. If not, it is better to wait until DJI provides us with 4K 60 fps H.264 encoding.

Also, if such details are bothersome to you, make sure that you use D-Cinelike profile. Your videos will require postproduction to increase contrast and saturation and do some other tweaks, but are generally more pleasing to the eye since you control the process and the amount of corrections and are not stuck with default settings and processing DJI applies.

Other than that - I think your video is quite good. I do not expect miracles from MA2 and such small camera.

Mirek
2020-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There are many factors that influence 'video quality' and youtube is a big one that is not helping you out on the areas with high details (trees)
To my eyes it looks like a good youtube quality (with artifacts) but this is just trial and error (there are many many many video's on best settings for youtube, you should be ok finding them).

Let me try to understand what you did with the footage : you recorded 60fps and slowed it down to 30?
Because youtube still says 60fps.
Which looks like you rendered in 60fps.
2020-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2020-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules