Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,
I was watching this earlier

It's mentioned that the Air 2 can dynamically return to home.  I haven't found anyway of doing this.  Has anyone else?

@techdronemedia ?
2020-6-7
Use props
dellhem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 749288 ft
Norway

Hi. It's all automatic. And also documented in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200519/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en_.pdf
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dellhem Posted at 6-7 14:30
Hi. It's all automatic. And also documented in the manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200519/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en_.pdf

Hi,

Thank you, I know all about return to home.  It’s dynamic return to home, where the drone will return to the controller that I’m talking about, but thank you for taking the time to reply
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I may have miss titled this.  What I’m looking for is a way to get the drone to return to the location of the controller.  I don’t believe this is possible?  Does the pro 2 have this feature?
2020-6-7
Use props
dellhem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 749288 ft
Norway

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 14:32
Hi,

Thank you, I know all about return to home.  It’s dynamic return to home, where the drone will return to the controller that I’m talking about, but thank you for taking the time to reply

It sounds like you are asking about the failsafe RTH. There's nothing called "dynamic" RTH.
Or do you mean that it can return to the controller even if it has moved? I'm pretty sure that it can not. You have to manually update the home point.
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No......  on other drones, there is a feature where the drone can return to the location of controller, for example if you are mountain biking etc.  You don’t want the drone flying back to where you set off, you want it coming back to the controller.  There is such a thing as dynamic RTH.  Google it
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 14:44
No......  on other drones, there is a feature where the drone can return to the location of controller, for example if you are mountain biking etc.  You don’t want the drone flying back to where you set off, you want it coming back to the controller.  There is such a thing as dynamic RTH.  Google it

You mean like the Mavic 1 pro if you know.
I do not know if this one has but the next best thing is to select the new home point from the map
GO TO SETTINGS - SAFETY  and press the fourth option which is Update home point
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-7 14:54
You mean like the Mavic 1 pro if you know.
I do not know if this one has but the next best thing is to select the new home point from the map
GO TO SETTINGS - SAFETY  and press the fourth option which is Update home point

I do know!  Sorry, but you don’t seem to get the point.  How would you do that with the controller in your backpack?  
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I know the fly app inside out.  The video just specifically states that it has dynamic (sorry to spell this out, but this means constant change) RTH.  I don’t need help with any of the documented RTH features.  
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:00
I know the fly app inside out.  The video just specifically states that it has dynamic (sorry to spell this out, but this means constant change) RTH.  I don’t need help with any of the documented RTH features.

If it is dynamic all the time then the precision landing is not going to work
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-7 15:11
If it is dynamic all the time then the precision landing is not going to work

I don’t think you understand what dynamic RTH is.  It is an option on some drones, where it can return to the controller if you choose that option.  It has nothing to do with retuning to where the dron took off from.
2020-6-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:14
I don’t think you understand what dynamic RTH is.  It is an option on some drones, where it can return to the controller if you choose that option.  It has nothing to do with retuning to where the dron took off from.

I think you are mistaken, here is no such thing as dynamic RTH in DJI aircraft, because there is no guarantee that the GPS receiver in your phone is working.
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

I don’t think you understand what dynamic RTH is.  It is an option on some drones, where it can return to the controller if you choose that option.  It has nothing to do with retuning to where the dron took off from.

Yes but the Air 2 hasn't that option
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-7 15:17
Yes but the Air 2 hasn't that option

I shall repeat myself once more..... the video I posted stated that it does... Hence the thread!
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:19
I shall repeat myself once more..... the video I posted stated that it does... Hence the thread!

Ok, where is it? The Mavic 1  pro had this option in the settings menu to choose between dynamic and normal
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 6-7 15:17
I think you are mistaken, here is no such thing as dynamic RTH in DJI aircraft, because there is no guarantee that the GPS receiver in your phone is working.

Nope, you are wrong.  For example, here is a DJI drone using dynamic RTH.  Thanks for your input though   
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-7 15:22
Ok, where is it? The Mavic 1  pro had this option in the settings menu to choose between dynamic and normal

Last time....  I don’t believe the air 2 has it, but the video states it does!!!
2020-6-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:23
Last time....  I don’t believe the air 2 has it, but the video states it does!!!

I read the manual for the MA2 and there is no mention of it. He has been wrong before about other things.
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 6-7 15:35
I read the manual for tha MA2 and there is no mention of it. He has been wrong before about other things.

I know this, hence the thread!  
2020-6-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:22
Nope, you are wrong.  For example, here is a DJI drone using dynamic RTH.  Thanks for your input though   https://youtu.be/b-D8aCZsiCE

Yes, it appears you are correct about those models of aircraft, but I would question the value of having it update to the current position of the aircraft. Who needs it to update to the position of the aircraft when the aircraft just got lost?
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:22
Nope, you are wrong.  For example, here is a DJI drone using dynamic RTH.  Thanks for your input though   https://youtu.be/b-D8aCZsiCE

Yes, this is what I am saying and I haven't seen that in MAVIC AIR2 DJI FLY and I have 1.1.4
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 6-7 15:38
Yes, it appears you are correct about those models of aircraft, but I would question the value of having it update to the current position of the aircraft. Who needs it to update to the position of the aircraft when the aircraft just got lost?

Of course I’m correct!  If you go for a bike ride and you are 2. Isles in, you do t want the drone to return to take off point, it makes sense to let it return to the last dynamically updated home point.  
2020-6-7
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Niknik Posted at 6-7 15:40
Yes, this is what I am saying and I haven't seen that in MAVIC AIR2 DJI FLY and I have 1.1.4

Maybe it is Automatic in Active track but I do not know.
Of course, I will test it but it is not a good idea especially if you are somewhere with lots of trees, etc
DJI what do You say about that?
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 6-7 15:44
Maybe it is Automatic in Active track but I do not know.
Of course, I will test it but it is not a good idea especially if you are somewhere with lots of trees, etc
DJI what do You say about that?

The option is t there! This was the point of my post.  But it would be great if it was, as this is what the video stated!
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I wish I could close the thread!!
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

See what you started @techdronemedia ! Hahaha! Hope all is good, love your videos.
2020-6-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I don’t think you understand what dynamic RTH is.
For a start the proper term for what you are asking about is Dynamic Home Point.
And second, most DJI aircraft don't have that feature.
For those that do, it only operates in Active Track.

Outside of active tracking, all DJI drones have the ability to reset the homepoint (if you have the right phone or tablet).
But that only resets the homepoint to the current location of the controller and does not continue to update it dynamically.
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-7 16:40
I don’t think you understand what dynamic RTH is.  It is an option on some drones, where it can return to the controller if you choose that option.  It has nothing to do with retuning to where the dron took off from.

Thank you.  I obviously got the terminology wrong.  Thanks for chipping in.  It would be rather helpful if we could do this.  

Always enjoy your posts, always learning
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-7 16:40

Do you understand what the word Dynamic means? I know it doesn't relate to the take off point.  Where did I say it does?  
2020-6-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 17:11
Do you understand what the word Dynamic means? I know it doesn't relate to the take off point.  Where did I say it does?

Yes, I very much understand the meaning of the word dynamic.
I'm not sure how your post relates to what I wrote ??
2020-6-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

But does anyone in this discussion know the meaning of the word "semantics" ;-)
2020-6-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 17:11

Yes, it means 'something changing all the time'. But the point is, do you want the Home Point changed to where the aircraft is at any given time, or where the RC unit is?

Making it change the Home Point to where trhe aircraft is located at any given time is pretty useless, because you can simply change the RTH behavour to 'land in place', and it will achieve the same effect.

On the other hand, having the Home Point updated to where the RC controller is currently is a more useful function, but not one that is offered in the software.
2020-6-7
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 6-7 19:07
Yes, it means 'something changing all the time'. But the point is, do you want the Home Point changed to where the aircraft is at any given time, or where the RC unit is?

Making it change the Home Point to where trhe aircraft is located at any given time is pretty useless, because you can simply change the RTH behavour to 'land in place', and it will achieve the same effect.

Yes. Dynamic home point updates is not available with Mavic Air 2 with DJI Fly app. It was available in DJI Go 4 for other drones.

In active tracking mode it has been suggested to add Hover option for low battery RTH. The reason for adding Hover instead of returning to RC is that the drone, while in Active Tracking, could be under trees and returning to RC location may result in a crash.

Mirek
2020-6-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-7 18:53
But does anyone in this discussion know the meaning of the word "semantics" ;-)

But does anyone in this discussion know the meaning of the word "semantics"
That all depends on what you mean by semantics.
2020-6-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 6-7 20:08
That all depends on what you mean by semantics.

Or does it?
2020-6-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-7 20:08
That all depends on what you mean by semantics.

I don't understand the context ;-)
2020-6-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The only work around is in the FlyApp is to select Update HomePoint, at opening the default is the current craft position; so open menu and click update.
This works when craft is already in a RTH mode, it instantly turns heading and moves to the new location (it it is already flying towards a HP).

So if the 'pilot' is quick, during the initial climb the homepoint can be updated.

A semi-automatic-dynamic-homepoint-setting?  

The FlyApp uses GPS data drone to reset HP, The GoApp uses mobile device GPS data (wich not always work on Apple) to set HP to the controller position.

BUT ofcourse ; doesn`t work when there is no connection to the drone....
And for DJI ; as it is so simple for a pilot to update an homepoint to the current craft position, must be easy to add an option in the fly app to do this every 10 seconds or after 10 meters or.....

EDIT  in the latest app fw (or i missed it in the previous version) ; two options 1) craft position [ default ]  2) rc position at start!**.So FlyApp uses craft GPS for 1) and device GPS for 2), have to check this out better as in the log no GPS data for my device is recorderd so ** guess it is the craft position at take-off

cheers
JJB

HPset.png
2020-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not seen dynamic RTH mentioned anywhere for this drone.
2020-6-8
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-8 01:22
Not seen dynamic RTH mentioned anywhere for this drone.

Henrik suggested it's available but I've not seen anything for DHP or DRTH in the app to date and I suspect the DJI contact Henrik is chasing for an explanation may have missed something in translation specific to the word 'dynamic'.  FLY app only allows manual home point update to controller or drone location in its current 1.1.2/1.1.4 build though I'd be happy if there is a truly dynamic option it would be useful for filming aspects of motorcycle tours.
2020-6-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

urbanweb Posted at 6-7 15:37
I know this, hence the thread!

Have you heard of the expression “banging your head against a brick wall”? You have my sympathy!  
2020-6-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules