Reflective Tape on Mini so it doesn’t cover antennas.
3769 11 2020-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paulaleroux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28379 ft
Canada

"Reflective Tape on Mini so it doesn’t cover antennas.  Where are the Antennas?"

I recently lost my first Mini in a very grassy, weedy and bushy areas. Gone for good....

So with my new mini I applied small peices of reflective tape so it more visibile and reflective at night with a good flashlight.

However, I just want to make sure I am not covering any sensors or antennas or GPS antennnas.  

I didn't put any of the belly of the drone.  

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 09.21.00.png
2020-6-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Just have to watch the compass(es) also....
Relective tape usually has metal in it.
2020-6-8
Use props
Paulaleroux
lvl.2
Canada

Flycaster Posted at 6-8 05:51

Thanks for the reply....Do you know where the compass on the Mini?
2020-6-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

No, I don't. Still with my happy Mav Gen I..
2020-6-8
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

The transceiver Antennas are in both front legs. The GPS module & most probably the compass is up on the back above where the battery slides in.. Check out this site to see a MM in the nude...  
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/ ... ardown-whats-inside
2020-6-8
Use props
Paulaleroux
lvl.2
Canada

PhasedSpaces Posted at 6-8 12:18
The transceiver Antennas are in both front legs. The GPS module & most probably the compass is up on the back above where the battery slides in.. Check out this site to see a MM in the nude...  
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/ ... ardown-whats-inside

That nailed it.  Thanks.

Looks like the main GPS unit (they call it the Loom) Is right above the gimbal.  

And the RF antennas are in the front legs as you mentioned.

I cleaned up my tape based on that info.   
2020-6-8
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LOL PhasedSpaces I wonder how many people have that rcgeeks page saved and bookmarked, good isn't it?

Paulaleroux did you try the @find my drone@ thingy in the app?  BTW I can vouch for the rear light being a pretty good locator at night if the drone gets lost but you know its general area.  

2020-6-8
Use props
Paulaleroux
lvl.2
Canada

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-8 12:33
LOL PhasedSpaces I wonder how many people have that rcgeeks page saved and bookmarked, good isn't it?

Yes....to the square meter I have its last position.  But the drone ran out of power before I could get close or hear the alert beeping.   Went back to the spot 3 days in a row to look for it.   

to compound the issue, we last RF to the drone for about 5minutes so I don't 100% trust the coordinates.  

High wind flyaway. I learnt a ton of lessons.
2020-6-8
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah the find me coordinates and likely inaccurate if it flew for a time after the connection was lost. If you post the flight logs over on the Mavicpilots forum there are a couple of people there who are great at giving lines of drift and landing estimates, sar104 comes to mind
2020-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Paulaleroux. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. You DJI Mavic Mini looks cool.  Just a reminder to place the said stickers on your DJI Mavic Mini on a location where in it will not interfere with the air-vents of the said drone to prevent overheating or any issue while flying your DJI Mavic Mini. Again, great work and have a safe flight always.
2020-6-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use a multimeter set to the highest resistance range to check for conductivity of the reflective tape...on both sides. I use tape that is all Mylar and is not conductive or magnetic/ferrous.
2020-6-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flycaster Posted at 6-8 05:51

That metal is aluminium, so it will not affect the compass.
2020-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules