Phantom 4 Won't fly beyond ~100 meters
592 7 2020-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erin.a.krahn
lvl.1

United States

I received this drone used from a friend and for some reason am unable to fly it beyond ~100 meters. He had no issues the entire time he owned it, and flew it many locations.

I have tried flying it both in the suburbs of a city, and in very rural areas, and have had no luck. Once I get to about 100 meters, the camera starts to black in and out and says "weak image transmission" or something similar. It's unclear how much further I could fly it as I turn around once the image blacks out. Additionally, it often says "strong interference detected" and the radio channel quality is "poor" even when in very rural areas. I have done a lot of troubleshooting with no luck, including some updating and calibration via the DJI assistant 2 app, disconnecting and reconnecting the controller, trying new iphones/ipads etc. Beginner mode is off, max distance is off, max altitude is 120m.

Any ideas? I have had this since December and have had the same issue every time I have tried to use it.

2020-6-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There are really only two possible answers to this, either the aircraft or RC unit has a fault, or you are operating it in such a way that it cannot properly transmit and receive. Even though you say you are in an urban area, are there any buildings either near you or the aircraft?
2020-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there erin.a.krahn. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Phantom 4 will not fly beyond 100 meters. Kindly please check whether the remote controller's antennas are placed properly, you may refer to the below tutorial video. In addition kindly please fly your DJI Phantom 4 to another open field without interference to check there will be changes, you may enable the flight mode when flying. Thank you and fly safe always.

2020-6-8
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

follow Geebax advice and be sure you are not near any vehicle
2020-6-8
Use props
erin.a.krahn
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-8 19:17
Hello there erin.a.krahn. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Phantom 4 will not fly beyond 100 meters. Kindly please check whether the remote controller's antennas are placed properly, you may refer to the below tutorial video. In addition kindly please fly your DJI Phantom 4 to another open field without interference to check there will be changes, you may enable the flight mode when flying. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thank you, I will try this out. We also have a Mavic Pro, which has had no issues, maybe because it's a newer model? Hoping this isn't an issue with my drone or RC
2020-6-9
Use props
erin.a.krahn
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 6-8 15:01
There are really only two possible answers to this, either the aircraft or RC unit has a fault, or you are operating it in such a way that it cannot properly transmit and receive. Even though you say you are in an urban area, are there any buildings either near you or the aircraft?

In the urban area, I am near buildings, but in the rural areas I was not. I also flew it on a closed ski mountain with no luck. Do you think a boat would have a lot of interference? I can try the ocean later today.

Notably, we have a Mavic Pro which has had no issues around here.
2020-6-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

erin.a.krahn Posted at 6-9 04:51
In the urban area, I am near buildings, but in the rural areas I was not. I also flew it on a closed ski mountain with no luck. Do you think a boat would have a lot of interference? I can try the ocean later today.

Notably, we have a Mavic Pro which has had no issues around here.

Try signing out of your DJI account in the app and signing in again.
2020-6-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

erin.a.krahn Posted at 6-9 04:49
Thank you, I will try this out. We also have a Mavic Pro, which has had no issues, maybe because it's a newer model? Hoping this isn't an issue with my drone or RC

Hi there erin.a.krahn. Thank you for the reply and for the additional update you have given. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules