Fly over Greenwich Park, authorized or not?
5163 13 2020-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trunks1983
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105 ft
France

Hi,

Just bought my first drone ever.

However, I am wondering where I can fly (live on Isle of Dogs).

For example, is it autorized to fly over Greenwich Park?

According to dji fly safe, it should be allowed without any authorization:

FlySafe.jpg

But according to their website, it isn't allowed without authorization:

Greenwich Park Rules.jpg

How can I be sure which area I can safely fly over?
What are the risks if I accidentally fly over an unauthorized zone?

Thanks a lot

2020-6-11
Use props
jmshelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193970 ft
United Kingdom

You can’t take off or land there. But you can fly over at an appropriate height. If it’s busy, it may come under the definition of a congested area, in which case you can’t fly over at any height.
The drone code should explain the general rules if you haven’t seen them yet.
2020-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Ummm, you have registered with the CAA & completed the test? All the guidance you’re looking for is in the material you need to read to pass the test.  However, the advise you’ve been given in the 1st response is spot on
Edit:

Actually, having checked the park on Drone Assist, there's no way you can fly there! It sits in a high risk area within London City Airport Controlled airspace
Link to the iOS version

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/nats-drone-assist/id1172916055
2020-6-11
Use props
Trunks1983
lvl.1
France

jmshelley Posted at 6-11 14:33
You can’t take off or land there. But you can fly over at an appropriate height. If it’s busy, it may come under the definition of a congested area, in which case you can’t fly over at any height.
The drone code should explain the general rules if you haven’t seen them yet.

Thank you for the quick reply
2020-6-11
Use props
Trunks1983
lvl.1
France

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-11 14:39
Ummm, you have registered with the CAA & completed the test? All the guidance you’re looking for is in the material you need to read to pass the test.  However, the advise you’ve been given in the 1st response is spot on

No I haven't.
Just received my drone today.
Thank you, I will complete it ASAP.
2020-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

See my edited comments....

2020-6-11
Use props
Trunks1983
lvl.1
France

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-11 14:47
See my edited comments....

Thanks for the updated reply.
So, the Dji Fly safe is not accurate?
I have to check to drone assist whenever I would like to know if I can use my drone?

So, according to Drone Assist, the full London area is forbidden from any flight?

Screenshot_20200611-235615.png

Thanks a lot
2020-6-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Trunks1983. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. I will post a link where in you can check the said location if it is free to fly your DJI Mavic Air 2 or if the said location is a no fly zone. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2020-6-11
Use props
jmshelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193970 ft
United Kingdom

Trunks1983 Posted at 6-11 15:01
Thanks for the updated reply.
So, the Dji Fly safe is not accurate?
I have to check to drone assist whenever I would like to know if I can use my drone?
[Image]

I always use NATS Drone Assist - it’s more accurate than the DJI maps IMO. London isn’t good for flying drones unfortunately.
2020-6-11
Use props
Voyager30
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53625 ft
United Kingdom

I bought lately mavic mini and was wondering about the same thing where can I fly close to greenwich ....
Can u tell me guys if it is safe to self unlock autorization  zone? I mean do I have to have any kind of qualifications on paper that would prove I know hiw to fly? Im new with the drone topic :-)
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Voyager30 Posted at 7-9 11:46
I bought lately mavic mini and was wondering about the same thing where can I fly close to greenwich ....
Can u tell me guys if it is safe to self unlock autorization  zone? I mean do I have to have any kind of qualifications on paper that would prove I know hiw to fly? Im new with the drone topic :-)

Flying a drone in manned airspace and thus placing manned aircraft at risk can get you five years behind bars in the UK... I strongly suggest you check out the UK CAA drone code on their website. Bear in mind that even if the airspace you want to fly in is safe you will also need to check out who regulates the land you want to take off from and land on as that is beyond the CAA’s remit - many councils, especially around London, have banned drones. London is one of the worst places in the UK to fly a drone due to the number of airports, level of built up and congested areas and local by-laws. You’ll be better off downloading the NATS drone assist app and loading up google maps to find some safe areas where you won’t end up in court! The further away from buildings and people the better and no closer than 5KM from the centre of any airport or 150M within any direction of a congested area. Contact the CAA for special permissions - be very prepared!
2020-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Voyager30 Posted at 7-9 11:46

And just so you’re clear - flying the Mavic Mini for recreational purposes in UK airspace means you don’t need to pass the test and get a flyer ID or register yourself as a drone operator with the CAA as it weighs less than 250g. However, once the Mini has taken off outside your flight is regulated in exactly the same way as any drone flying in line with the drone code.
2020-7-9
Use props
Voyager30
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53625 ft
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 7-9 15:08
And just so you’re clear - flying the Mavic Mini for recreational purposes in UK airspace means you don’t need to pass the test and get a flyer ID or register yourself as a drone operator with the CAA as it weighs less than 250g. However, once the Mini has taken off outside your flight is regulated in exactly the same way as any drone flying in line with the drone code.

Thank you gery much for the info.
2020-7-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Voyager30 Posted at 7-12 00:23
Thank you gery much for the info.

You’re welcome
2020-7-12