video file sizes
8980 13 2020-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

not sure what im doing wrong but i see that my video file sizes are max 3.76GB then it creates a new file.  i formatted my card in the mavic should i format it as ntfs on my computer first?  i would have thought formatting the card in the mavic would allow for unlimited file sizes.
2020-6-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I record in 4K it starts a new file after 4:51 - you need to record in a lower resolution (2.7K or 1080p) if you want say an 8 minute video on one file or try recording in H.265 though I haven't tested that as yet.
2020-6-14
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

The video files are always broken into segments that are less than 4 GB in size. That’s the maximum file size supported by FAT32, which uses unsigned 32-bit values to record the file size. Even though exFAT supports much larger files, the MA2 still breaks up the files even when using that format. NTFS is not supported.
2020-6-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MisterFrag Posted at 6-14 16:40
The video files are always broken into segments that are less than 4 GB in size. That’s the maximum file size supported by FAT32, which uses unsigned 32-bit values to record the file size. Even though exFAT supports much larger files, the MA2 still breaks up the files even when using that format. NTFS is not supported.

Actually, all DJI drones do this. It is intentional, and is a hangover from years past when there was a higher import duty on video recorders that recorded more than 4 GB files. These days DJI say it is done to protect your files from loss.
2020-6-14
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

A J Posted at 6-14 16:12
If I record in 4K it starts a new file after 4:51 - you need to record in a lower resolution (2.7K or 1080p) if you want say an 8 minute video on one file or try recording in H.265 though I haven't tested that as yet.

Using H.265 instead of H.264 doesn't reduce the file size, although it should along with fewer artifacts and again I can't see fewer artifacts Here are the results of some file size tests
2020-6-14
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-14 18:09
Actually, all DJI drones do this. It is intentional, and is a hangover from years past when there was a higher import duty on video recorders that recorded more than 4 GB files. These days DJI say it is done to protect your files from loss.

The import duty wasn’t based on file size but recording duration. Any device that was capable of recording 30 or more minutes of video was considered professional video equipment and had a higher import duty. Many digital still cameras of the time were limited in firmware to recording a maximum of 29 minutes.

The DJI drones allow the use of FAT32-formatted cards (they must to comply with the SD card specification), and that file system simply does not support files larger than 4 GB.

If DJI has given any other reason for why files are broken up like that, it’s either uninformed conjecture or a lame excuse.
2020-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the explanations. I was aware of the 30 minute issue in years past. But forgot about the FAT32 limit. I was wondering why my files got split.
2020-6-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MisterFrag Posted at 6-14 19:23
The import duty wasn’t based on file size but recording duration. Any device that was capable of recording 30 or more minutes of video was considered professional video equipment and had a higher import duty. Many digital still cameras of the time were limited in firmware to recording a maximum of 29 minutes.

The DJI drones allow the use of FAT32-formatted cards (they must to comply with the SD card specification), and that file system simply does not support files larger than 4 GB.

Yes, I was aware of the finer detail, I was trying to keep the explanation short and simple.

'If DJI has given any other reason for why files are broken up like that, it’s either uninformed conjecture or a lame excuse.'

Correct!
2020-6-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 6-14 18:51
Using H.265 instead of H.264 doesn't reduce the file size, although it should along with fewer artifacts and again I can't see fewer artifacts Here are the results of some file size tests
[view_image]

Thanks for sharing your findings.
2020-6-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, the supported file systems of the camera are FAT32 and exFAT, it is recommended to format the SD card via the DJI FLY app. For DJI products, the maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB.

1. For SD cards with a memory less than 64GB, only FAT32 file system can be used (SD Association stipulates that files can be formatted into exFAT in Windows system for non-standard usage). Files larger than 4GB cannot be stored on a FAT32 volume.
2. For SD cards with a memory larger than or equal to 64GB, only exFAT file system can be used (which is specified by SD Association). Theoretically, a single file can exceed 4GB. However, in order to avoid errors resulted from files being too large, we still split files when the capacity exceeds 4GB.
2020-6-15
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Pappy3 Posted at 6-14 18:51
[view_image]

Yes - I had identical findings when I compared identical videos (same length, same conditions) done using H.264 and H.265.
Apparently DJI's algorithm uses exactly the same bitrate in compression no matter if the codec is H.264 or H.265.

This does mean that H.265 files contain more information, but with 100Mbs bitrate anybody would be hard pressed to see any real difference on 4K30fps videos in H.264 or H.265.
The noticeable quality difference would probably be very small. What I am trying to say is, that 4k30fps videos compressed to 100Mbs with H.264 codec are not loosing a lot of information and that such loss is very hard to spot. The situation may be different with 8k or higher frame rates. But MA2 does not use H.264 for 4k at 60fps so the discussion is mute.

Mirek
2020-6-15
Use props
fans92642ccc
New
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-6-15 03:49
Hi there, the supported file systems of the camera are FAT32 and exFAT, it is recommended to format the SD card via the DJI FLY app. For DJI products, the maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB.

1. For SD cards with a memory less than 64GB, only FAT32 file system can be used (SD Association stipulates that files can be formatted into exFAT in Windows system for non-standard usage). Files larger than 4GB cannot be stored on a FAT32 volume.

I would be interested to know how many errors are likely to occur using larger files, and would hope that at some point it could be made an option for the user to decide if they would like to choose the option anyway and take the risk of having them. Unless of course the errors would cause issues other than within the file itself.
2021-8-11
Use props
Piper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26946 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-6-15 03:49

1. For SD cards with a memory less than 64GB, only FAT32 file system can be used (SD Association stipulates that files can be formatted into exFAT in Windows system for non-standard usage). Files larger than 4GB cannot be stored on a FAT32 volume.

DJI needs to make this optional.  I video races and to have to stitch multiple files together for a complete race is time consuming and pointless, when technology exists that would far exceed these limitations.
2021-9-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Piper Posted at 9-24 19:43
DJI needs to make this optional.  I video races and to have to stitch multiple files together for a complete race is time consuming and pointless, when technology exists that would far exceed these limitations.

what technology would you be referring to?
2021-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules