564 5 2020-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmshelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193970 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

For those interested and UK-based, the CAA in the UK has updated the CAP1789 document which gives a general outline of the UK application of the legislation - https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789%20Edition3%20June2020.pdf

Few key points to note:
  • All dates have been updated following the postponement to December 2020.
  • Transition period is defined as 31st December 2020 to 31st December 2022.
  • Clarification added for those able to fly in A1 (i.e Mavic Mini owners), can use 'follow me' mode, flights may be conducted within residential, commercial, industrial and recreational areas, and can fly over people if the drone is <250g.
  • Class A2 also allows flights within residential, commercial, industrial and recreational areas, with a separation distance of 50m for transitional drones.

So for those that have a MA2 like me, you have a couple of options at the start of the 2021:
  • Fly in A3 with no additional qualifications. Minimum of 50m from uninvolved people, and 150m away from residential, commercial, industrial and recreational areas.
  • Fly in A2 with the new A2 CoC (£250). Minimum of 50m from uninvolved people but can fly in residential, commercial, industrial and recreational areas. This will only apply until 31st December 2022, but by then get a new drone

The stance is reiterated that anything on the market now that isnt CE marked, will be classed as a legacy drone and subject to the above.

Hope this helps!
2020-6-17
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the update. I think 2022 is going to be better for us. Once the regulations are in place and classifications are up and running. Its going to be less restrictive but then the drones themselves will probably be a lot smarter with newer tech by then.
2020-6-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Although Im irked by the new drones not being marked and the old drones all defaulting to legacy category I doubt very much if anyone will ever check.  
2020-6-18
Use props
jmshelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193970 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-18 00:22
Although Im irked by the new drones not being marked and the old drones all defaulting to legacy category I doubt very much if anyone will ever check.

It’s like most rules - they only end up being enforced if something goes wrong or someone comes to harm.
2020-6-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jmshelley Posted at 6-18 00:26
It’s like most rules - they only end up being enforced if something goes wrong or someone comes to harm.

Exactly.    Although the police round here in the summer setup road blocks and stop cars with tinted windows and test them, then if you fail the test they either fine you are make you remove the tint on the spot.
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jmshelley. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this update and these information with us. This thread will be a very big help to all of our DJI co pilots based in UK. Again, thank you for your valued support and fly safe always.
2020-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules