JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Short video from a Dutch Windmill.

Plus a nasty experience with my MA2!

What happend ; flying forward in P-GPS (apas) mode with full forward stick and wanted to make a right turn towards HP.
MA2 did not react in right yaw input. Uh ?
Released forward stick to stop motion, nope   still flying forward with 10m/s.
Again little fwd stick and back to zero, now MA2 slowing down to zero. This i did not noticed, watching the sky and thinking what to do.
Oke, see if RTH does work, and yes....craft turning and returned to HP. After that all controls OK again, manual landing no problems.

In the video combined actual screen recording and screen recording fly app, not 100% synced to each other.
But synced at RTH turning ; see the difference in flight time....uh?

BTW in the flightlog no errors at all, same for DAT file. Only the DAT file flight time is shorter than the log. Never seen that before.

During next flights i will have more than normal attention to drone behaviour.

[ in the vid you see the miller start running.....to me, he wasn`t pleased with a drone around his home. Asked me to get the drone out if the sky, ofcourse i did that as i had my circle shot...would have stopped anyhow, wasn`t time to argue with the miller listning to his tone of voice ]

cheers
JJB

2020-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That was a close call,  but the footage of the windmill at the start is stunning,  we have a few old windmills here in the UK but its extremely rare to see one working like that.
2020-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A bit of luck and 'nuchterheid'
Strange experience though.
2020-6-23
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Scary situation! Would be good to know what happened...
2020-6-24
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Stunning windmill shots buddy. Really nice orbit as wel.

Really suprised that the miller took such offense to you flying ?

2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scary moment - I noticed both the OA and APAS were more sensitive than normal when flying yesterday. According to the manual you need to be 'extra cautious' when flying with APAS enabled in bright conditions (>10,000 LUX) and APAS does not function when the drone is not flying forward/backward in straight lines. So I put it down to flying in very bright sunlight myself but the fact your drone didn't stop flying after releasing the sticks is a serious concern mate. Keep an eye on it.
2020-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I see no movement in triangle on video, but right turn should be with right stick, you were moving right stick straight forward and yawing Craft with left stick , so drone should not turn right it should move forward in a circle movement (or Yaw) it should not turn right unless you give way on forward movement and accelerate after. I’m not sure if log shows yawing , in maybe RC needs calibration .

It's difficult to see even slowing down the footage, but looks like yaw did not engage.
2020-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 6-24 01:25
I see no movement in triangle on video, but right turn should be with right stick, you were moving right stick straight forward and yawing Craft with left stick , so drone should not turn right it should move forward in a circle movement (or Yaw) it should not turn right unless you give way on forward movement and accelerate after. I’m not sure if log shows yawing , in maybe RC needs calibration .

It's difficult to see even slowing down the footage, but looks like yaw did not engage.

my right turn = yaw right, so that`s my left stick to the right.  ;-)
Aircraft language is indeed right turn = right bank = move stick to the right (but ac only have one stick....)

It clear in the log, yawing did not change craft heading! and not only yaw did not respond, stick pitch to zero and still flying with 10m/s

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 6-23 23:57
A bit of luck and 'nuchterheid'
Strange experience though.

yes, lucky with some knowledge and no panic yet....

Quick thinking  1) rth ?  2) pause btn 3) omg  wft now??   guess switching to another mode

cheers
JJB
2020-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-24 00:51
Scary moment - I noticed both the OA and APAS were more sensitive than normal when flying yesterday. According to the manual you need to be 'extra cautious' when flying with APAS enabled in bright conditions (>10,000 LUX) and APAS does not function when the drone is not flying forward/backward in straight lines. So I put it down to flying in very bright sunlight myself but the fact your drone didn't stop flying after releasing the sticks is a serious concern mate. Keep an eye on it.

yes, i was thinking the same about APAS   and indeed heading was into a very bright sun

APAS is now off for normal flights.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 6-24 02:00
yes, lucky with some knowledge and no panic yet....

Quick thinking  1) rth ?  2) pause brn 3) omg  wft now??   guess switching to another mode

That is the best way!
2020-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 6-24 00:27
Stunning windmill shots buddy. Really nice orbit as wel.

Really suprised that the miller took such offense to you flying ?

well, if every day bikers stop there and orbit his mill with a drone.....think i understand his action, so no problems to stop flying there
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-24 02:03
yes, i was thinking the same about APAS   and indeed heading was into a very bright sun

APAS is now off for normal flights.

Same here - it slows the drone down anyway and when I'm 400' above the ground I just don't need it. It's kind of useful in confined areas for sure but something I'll probably use a handful of times. It would be good to have an icon on the FPV screen (as with the Mavic Air 1) to tun it on and off more easily.
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

[ in the vid you see the miller start running.....to me, he wasn`t pleased with a drone around his home. Asked me to get the drone out if the sky, ofcourse i did that as i had my circle shot...would have stopped anyhow, wasn`t time to argue with the miller listning to his tone of voice ]

Always best to do these stood a mile or two away mate - he wouldn't know where to run then.
2020-6-24
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

A J Posted at 6-24 09:16

Always best to do these stood a mile or two away mate - he wouldn't know where to run then.

Clever idea!
2020-6-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact JJB pulled up outside a strangers house and did an orbit around their back yard without their permission is comedy gold! I wondered why the 'miller' was running like Forest Gump. Priceless. Hahahahahaha
2020-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good tip, but i prefer to have some visual on the flying spot doing qiuckshots ect.
Just in case.....my eye ball mark1 connected to brains still quicker that only watching the screen

and btw, in my black motorgear i look very mean....  

cheers
JJB
2020-6-24
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

This is everyone's nightmare, when the drone is going full speed and your not inputting anything in the remote. I only read this in forums, hope that never happens to me. I read once about hijacking drones, some dude was flying and his drone went away with no possible explanation, never finding it after that. Luckily you got your controls back and managed to come to HP. Did you asked DJI about this?

Nice scenery you have there!
2020-6-25
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

Yeeah that's a good one.

But a mile away is a bit far for flying at such low altitudes.
2020-6-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

twilight Posted at 6-25 00:02
This is everyone's nightmare, when the drone is going full speed and your not inputting anything in the remote. I only read this in forums, hope that never happens to me. I read once about hijacking drones, some dude was flying and his drone went away with no possible explanation, never finding it after that. Luckily you got your controls back and managed to come to HP. Did you asked DJI about this?

Nice scenery you have there!

Nope   i did not asked DJI for this.

Few next flights in bright sunlight with APAS off went without events.

DJI will ask logs and dats, than sent in your drone ect....i read so many unlogic messages in LOGS and DATS sometimes, not all errors written in the logs and for sure not seen in the fly app screen.

In one of my last MM flights i read a warning "Navigation system error. Restart aircraft" in the log. (craft was flying that time)One would think that such a message will pop up the screen with an audio as well !!

Checking the screen recording of this flight afterwards: nothing to see/hear that time.
Checking the DAT file for this flight: no errors that time.
So DJI need to improve ofcourse, having said that  i do love my MM and MA2, they fly almost all time without real errors.

cheers
JJB

2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-24 23:15
Good tip, but i prefer to have some visual on the flying spot doing qiuckshots ect.
Just in case.....my eye ball mark1 connected to brains still quicker that only watching the screen

Hahahahaha - all is well that ends well mate. Have to say, this did make me laugh and well worth it as the orbit looks great.
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-25 00:04
Yeeah  that's a good one.

But a mile away is a bit far for flying at such low altitudes.

The MA2 can easily handle a mile if there are no obstructions in the line of sight - the drone will be out of visual range at around 1,000' anyway so any further makes no difference. I've had full control of this drone at over 16,000'
2020-6-25
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

It's worrying to hear that there are many unlogic messages.

It's true that DJI support front line hears a lot of people and a great percentage of that people don't know many things. But in my experience with the support, they are very limited in knowledge and the things they say are like "restart windows if internet is not working". "Sending the drone for checking" it's not such a good option, because it's taking the fun away

I guess the best way is to wait for half a year after one drone is released, and then buy one It takes time to perfect a product.
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-25 01:23
It's worrying to hear that there are many unlogic messages.

It's true that DJI support front line hears a lot of people and a great percentage of that people don't know many things. But in my experience with the support, they are very limited in knowledge and the things they say are like "restart windows if internet is not working". "Sending the drone for checking" it's not such a good option, because it's taking the fun away  

The MA2 is an exception for me as I normally never a buy a new release drone straight away - always wait three months after release for any bugs to be cleared out.
2020-6-25
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

A J Posted at 6-25 01:37
The MA2 is an exception for me as I normally never a buy a new release drone straight away - always wait three months after release for any bugs to be cleared out.

Yeah AJ, i guess this would be the best way

And MA2 comes with a new app, that only adds problems to the drone being new!

I never crashed my Mavic Air 1 in tens of hours of flying, but i crashed my MA2 the second day   
2020-6-25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twilight Posted at 6-25 04:04
Yeah AJ, i guess this would be the best way

And MA2 comes with a new app, that only adds problems to the drone being new!

I've never crashed a DJI drone outdoors I'm pleased to say - though I nearly blinded myself when my M2P started flying toward my face when flying it in my house!
2020-6-25
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Romania

I don't like hijacking JJB's post but I must say I have actually crashed twice:

The first time was with a Phantom Advanced, in the second of it's flights. It was 20% battery and it just stopped it's motors by itself. I believe it was because i did not expect the battery to fully charged, and was blinking 4 leds for a while when I decided to take it out of the charger and fly the drone with it this way. The battery has started at about 90 percent, but at that moment i thought this would not be a problem. I was kind of lucky with it dropping only 7 meters in height, and landed on grass in front of my house, and not hurting or damaging anything. The gimbal was broken tough, but warranty took care of that.

The second time was my Mavic Air 2 with it's parallel (not so parallel) tracking and the triggered rth by someone dialing my number on 1.1.3 v of DJI Fly app.

But I consider none of the two crashes being my fault.

It's nice that you havent crashed any of your drone. It's actually a normal thing not having them crashed!

2020-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JJB. I ams sorry to watch and for know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Air2 and it is good to know that there is no unfortunate incident that happened on that said flight. Kindly please try to fly the said drone to a different location to see if the issue will still persist? Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules