POI Failure and Near Miss
513 15 2020-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swooshdave 1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 629488 ft
United States

I had my first autonomous failure. I was doing a POI in tripod mode. I selected my bike and then in POI you just move the stick left in the direction it’s going to rotate around the selection. As you can clearly see when it gets to the other side of the bike it freaks out. It’s not responding to stick input from what I can tell. I think I managed to either mash the RTH button or tap the stop on the screen. Maybe both in the moments of panic. It doesn’t look scary on the video but it sure looked like it was going to ram the bike, despite having obstacle avoidance on. Latest firmware, etc.
2020-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

What numbers did you enter for radius and flight speed? It says in the manual that you should avoid tracking an object that will change shape dramatically when moving. I assume that also means to be seen as changing shape as it revolves around it. Notice that things go wrong when it starts viewing the front of the bike, looking much narrower than the side where it started. Perhaps Spotlight mode would have been more appropriate here, or being farther away.
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yeah...agree with GaryDoug...also practice practice practice finding that RTH button.  You never know when you're going to need it and being able to abort (RTH button) without thinking about it should be second nature.
2020-6-26
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

You're awfully close for a POI. Are you sure you had a lock and if so, did it lose POI tracking?
2020-6-26
Use props
swooshdave 1
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-26 18:36
What numbers did you enter for radius and flight speed? It says in the manual that you should avoid tracking an object that will change shape dramatically when moving. I assume that also means to be seen as changing shape as it revolves around it. Notice that things go wrong when it starts viewing the front of the bike, looking much narrower than the side where it started. Perhaps Spotlight mode would have been more appropriate here, or being farther away.

Do you have a Mavic Air 2? You don't set those two things anymore.

I have successful rotate around one of my other bikes so I assume it would work again.

Here's the deal, regardless of anything, if it loses locks or anything it shouldn't have freaked out. Period.

If it loses lock at the very least it should stop. The last thing is should do is fly erratically.

Anyone disagree with that?
2020-6-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Correct - you no longer enter the radius - though you can control the rotation speed and adjust the altitude and radius through manual inputs using the controller sticks during the orbit. Looking at the video POI 3.0 uses predictive AI tech so it won't just stop if the subject is lost, it will search for the subject in an attempt to predict it's movement where it will likely regain a lock on it. You can do an emergency stop yourself by quickly pressing the RTH button. I think the bike was too close but I agree, this was a total failure.
2020-6-26
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

The AC most likely was "looking for the object" when you thought it was flying erratically.

As stated, the shape changed and being that close doesn't help. SO,  being prepared for such an encounter is requiring practice.

Setup in a field, 3 or 4 cones.....see how close the POI in TriPod mode can get before losing control......then PAUSE BUTTON or flip the switch to Normal or sport mode ( not touching the sticks ) to get it out of the MODE it's in.  The bird will just stop and hover.

The key is to practice...when the bird does something unexpected, practice what you will do to maintain safety.  

Randy
2020-6-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

swooshdave 1 Posted at 6-26 21:28
Do you have a Mavic Air 2? You don't set those two things anymore.

I have successful rotate around one of my other bikes so I assume it would work again.

Yes I do have one. You can see it in my icons below my avatar and nick. Why doesn't it show up for you?

2020-6-27
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

From my experience playing with the air 2 it looks like it was too close to the bike for it to work, had a similar situation myself.  Moved out a couple of feet and worked without issue.  May be wrong, just sharing what happened to me.  I always have my finger over RTH when doing anything involving automation.  Saved me a fair few times.  
2020-6-27
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-27 14:48
Yes I do have one. You can see it in my icons below my avatar and nick. Why doesn't it show up for you?

Hi GaryDoug,

I can’t find where I would enter these on the app.  Please can you point me to the setting?
2020-6-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

urbanweb Posted at 6-27 15:20
Hi GaryDoug,

I can’t find where I would enter these on the app.  Please can you point me to the setting?

As others have mentioned, I was wrong about the entry method. Sorry to mislead you.
2020-6-27
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-27 17:45
As others have mentioned, I was wrong about the entry method. Sorry to mislead you.

No need to apologise! Thought I was missing something.  Thanks for replying.
2020-6-27
Use props
swooshdave 1
lvl.1
United States

A J Posted at 6-26 23:12
Correct - you no longer enter the radius - though you can control the rotation speed and adjust the altitude and radius through manual inputs using the controller sticks during the orbit. Looking at the video POI 3.0 uses predictive AI tech so it won't just stop if the subject is lost, it will search for the subject in an attempt to predict it's movement where it will likely regain a lock on it. You can do an emergency stop yourself by quickly pressing the RTH button. I think the bike was too close but I agree, this was a total failure.

As long as the obstacle avoidance still works I'm not too concerned but the drone came way too close which makes me think that obstacle avoidance was disabled by the mode. Or that it was ignoring it. Either way DJI should look at the algorithm again.
2020-6-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I just tested the POI mode using several different objects as the subject, including myself. I had no issues with any of them and one test was using a bicycle with the kickstand down. I did not try it as close as you did however, just as close as maybe 10 feet. Each one was tested with the speed at default minimal and at highest. While using myself as the subject, I also moved around a lot and the drone's circle adjusted accordingly. Height in all tests was about 5-6 feet.
2020-6-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

swooshdave 1 Posted at 6-28 13:31
As long as the obstacle avoidance still works I'm not too concerned but the drone came way too close which makes me think that obstacle avoidance was disabled by the mode. Or that it was ignoring it. Either way DJI should look at the algorithm again.

Interesting as POI has worked flawlessly for me so far and it's my favourite intelligent flight mode so use it quite a bit. Hopefully it was just a one off glitch for you.
2020-6-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern, kindly please try a different subject to isolate the issue. In addition, please refer to this link for more information about the FocusTrack POI 3.0. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules