Samsung SM-T590 repeated disconnect/connect to DJI Go 4
1690 7 2020-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_pGvIU1JL95TN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116772 ft

United States

I posted this in the Mavic 2 Pro section, but meant to post in the general support as I don't believe it is a Mavic 2 Pro issue and just noticed that even though I selected General Support under the Mavic section, it is now in the Accessories section???? Maybe a moderator can move it to the General Support where it might actually get an answer.

Anyway, yesterday I picked up a new tablet to use with my drone, its a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, SM-T290. I'd read a few people using the tablet with no problems and since my phone is awkward to fit in the controller arms (note 10+ it barely fits) decided to pick one up.
Removed everything I didn't need, installed DJI Go 4, powered everything on and the tablet simply connects and disconnects about every 2 seconds. Restarted the tablet, tried again and it connected. Turned drone and controller off, went outside for a test flight, powered everything up and its doing the same thing. Connect disconnect non stop.

Here's a video showing how fast it connects / disconnects.

https://youtu.be/BSwy_WYx0wY

So far I have:Plugged the tablet into a wall outlet to confirm it stays connected, which it does,
Tried 3 different USB cables, and with them all it does the same disconnect every 2 seconds.
Tried first powering on the RC, then the AC and then the tablet.
Enabled developer mode on the tablet and set USB debugging to enabled.
Set the default USB connection method to File Transfer.
Connected tablet to my PC and verified it stays connected.
Performed a factory reset on the tablet - same result.

One thing I noticed was that the little pop up appeared on the tablet saying device charging slowly, check cable or something to that effect. It's a pretty standard message if you are plugged into a USB port (I get the same message when plugged into the PC). This time I checked the box on that message saying "Don't show this again" and the tablet remained connected! The message was not always displayed, not sure if the remote is sometimes able to provide enough power to charge and other times not or what actually triggered me seeing the pop up this time, but not previously. Excellent I go into DJI Go 4 and change a couple settings just to make sure it stays connected, which it does. So far so good. I then decide OK, I better power everything off and then back on again to see if it is still working as it should.

Power back on, same thing. Refuses to stay connected.

After the factory reset while it was looping between connect/disconnected the "Device Charging Slowly" pop up appears and disappears in the blink of an eye. It eventually remained on the screen (at the same time as a message to automatically launch DJI Go 4) and at that time I was able to click "OK" but this time did not click the "Don't show this again" box. As per the first time I was able to click OK on the slowly charging message, it remains connected if you can click on OK. However, as I mentioned previously, the message does not appear consistenly on the screen where I can actually click OK. If the message popped up reliably when first plugging it in and turning the controller on, then I think it would stay connected.

I also confirmed that the tablet will stay connected if I use small USB that connects to the side of the controller. The problem with using that though is that the short USB that connects to the side is not long enough to reach to where the tablet needs to go and I am not sure how reliable the connection would be if I added an extension. Looking at possibly finding a micro USB-A to micro USB-B cable if I cannot get the bottom USB connection to work.

The bottom USB port functions correctly, I have used it with both a diffferent tablet and with my phone. Both stay connected on the bottom USB port ruling out an issue with that. There just appears to be something going on with the SM-T590 connected to the bottom USB port that causes constant disconnects.

Any suggestions? I literally just purchased the tablet to use for the drone and nothing else.

Thanks.

2020-6-29
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

Some suggestions:
Try disabling battery optimization for the DJI Go app. Check the USB connection options for your tablet.
Try custom USB cable with the 5V pin cut.

2020-6-30
Use props
djiuser_pGvIU1JL95TN
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the reply...

Disabled battery optimization - no difference
The USB connection options I have under USB debugging are:

Transferring Files
MIDI
Transferring Images
Charging Tablet Only

I can set any of those as a default, currently set to default as Transferring Files.

I don't have any custom USB cables to try, ordered a longer cable that I can use on the side port of the controller as that appears to work with the tablet. But, I would really like to figure out why the bottom full size USB port does not seem to work with this tablet (it works with another Samsung tablet, albeit one that is too unwieldy to use with the drone).
2020-6-30
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

Yes I think "transferring files" should do it, btw have you unplugged the DJI side cable before connecting to the auxiliary port?
For a "no charging" custom cable you only need to remove a jacket portion from an existing cable and cut the red wire, have a look at the pinout (and custom cables howto) here:

2020-6-30
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

If everything else fails you can always  try downgrading DJI Go app to see if it solves your problem.
2020-6-30
Use props
djiuser_pGvIU1JL95TN
lvl.1

United States

Yep, side cable removed when using the bottom cable. I believe I have a couple USB-A to micro-USB cables so will give cutting the charging wire a go on one of them later today. Typically I would always have the tablet fully charged before flying anyway (part of a pre-flight routine, make sure whatever device I am using be it phone or tablet is also fully charged).

2020-7-1
Use props
djiuser_pGvIU1JL95TN
lvl.1

United States

Yep, side cable removed when using the bottom cable. I believe I have a couple USB-A to micro-USB cables so will give cutting the charging wire a go on one of them later today. Typically I would always have the tablet fully charged before flying anyway (part of a pre-flight routine, make sure whatever device I am using be it phone or tablet is also fully charged).
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Upon checking the Samsung SM-T590 is not on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. The said mobile device may work but since DJI has not yet tested the said device. We cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility during flight. Rest assured that our DJI R&D team are continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said list in the near future. For more details about the recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Kindly please refer to the posted image below. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

2020-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules