3771 22 2020-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EffyTech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332884 ft
Israel

Hi I just upgraded from mavic pro 1 and very disappointed from the range
wich stated by DJI 10km ,3 flights and after 1km I get disconnection and RTH is triggered
tried with Samsung s20 plus and also ipad mini 4
tested in Israel (5.8ghz disabled on fly) only 2.4ghz works here in Israel
Take off spot: my garden and fly to a farm type area with no high buildings just villas
please share your experience regarding the range
on Mavic Air 2

2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10KM is for FCC compliant areas such as the US. If you live in a CE compliant area the range limit is 6KM as advertised. There must be no obstructions blocking the line of sight between the AC and RC and little interference caused by WiFi in the area. Given the new RC uses a patch antenna you must have the top of the RC pointed directly at the drone during flight. In my experience flying in a CE area I have never lost signal on the MA2 in 30 flights. Not once. I've had full control over the drone at all times using my iPhone XS with the latest FW and Fly App versions. Dustin Dunhill did a range test with the drone and experienced zero glitches at >26,000 feet / 5 miles before safely flying back. Back gardens next to WiFi routers in the house are not the best places to test the transmission system on drones, especially if restricted to 2.4ghz and wishing to fly beyond VLOS.
2020-6-30
Use props
EffyTech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332884 ft
Israel

A J Posted at 6-30 01:16
10KM is for FCC compliant areas such as the US. If you live in a CE compliant area the range limit is 6KM as advertised. There must be no obstructions blocking the line of sight between the AC and RC and little interference caused by WiFi in the area. Given the new RC uses a patch antenna you must have the top of the RC pointed directly at the drone during flight. In my experience flying in a CE area I have never lost signal on the MA2 in 30 flights. Not once. I've had full control over the drone at all times using my iPhone XS with the latest FW and Fly App versions. Dustin Dunhill did a range test with the drone and experienced zero glitches at >26,000 feet / 5 miles before safely flying back. Back gardens next to WiFi routers in the house are not the best places to test the transmission system on drones, especially if restricted to 2.4ghz.

First thanks for your reply
I will test the range in an open area with no obstructions in between
but as i mention in my post i compared my experience with Mavic pro 1
and i just felt less comfortable do to many signals lost so i really don't understand why DJI
insist to announce that the range is better than Mavic pro 1 ...
but as you mentioned its probably the patch antenna that works differently   
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EffyTech Posted at 6-30 01:31

It has most definitely improved over the M2P let alone the M1P which uses an older version of OcuSync. The key with the MA2 is to ensure there are no obstructions between the AC and RC and keep that new antenna pointed directly at the drone at all times.

2020-6-30
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

Does it help to have your phone in airplane mode? I got a few weak signal messages flying line of sight in my neighborhood roughly 1,500 feet out.
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

EffyTech Posted at 6-30 01:31

I've also had some experience with range ...

If I compare that with the MM, then what the MA2 does is a huge step forward.
"Aiming" with the RC towards the MA2 is actually a very important finding.
With the MM you always had to hold the "flat" side of the antenna towards the drone.
2020-6-30
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

InTheReeds Posted at 6-30 11:19
Does it help to have your phone in airplane mode? I got a few weak signal messages flying line of sight in my neighborhood roughly 1,500 feet out.

Personally I do not think it makes a difference at all. I use an i pad mini 4 with cellular and have flown over 3kms away doing range tests and have never lost connectivity once. I do live out in the country side and could have gone way further as at that range I still had full signal.
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InTheReeds Posted at 6-30 11:19

It definitely helps turning off WiFi and Bluetooth but having cellular data running whilst flying seems to make no difference to the signal. However, a lot of flyers do simply enable airplane mode so nothing is running to interfere with the app.

That said, I was reading through the smaller print of the DJI manual for the Air 2 recently, it advises that 'mobile cellular data is required when using the DJI Fly App' - that is news to me!

2020-6-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went 1.75 km away on my last flight, so far the longest. I wasn't even trying to go far, just got carried away following something. There were no errors or dropouts.
2020-6-30
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

A J Posted at 6-30 14:33
It definitely helps turning off WiFi and Bluetooth but having cellular data running whilst flying seems to make no difference to the signal. However, a lot of flyers do simply enable airplane mode so nothing is running to interfere with the app.

That said, I was reading through the smaller print of the DJI manual for the Air 2 recently, it advises that 'mobile cellular data is required when using the DJI Fly App' - that is news to me!

I think the mobile cellular data is used for maps and there have been a couple of YouTube videos recently noted in this forum that show how to cache maps for times you want the cellular off or can't get any because you're way out in the boonies.
2020-6-30
Use props
Henry7722
lvl.3
Taiwan

You can try downgrade to
AC: 130
Remote: 108
Fly app ios 1.1.3/ android 1.1.3
Many people including me find new firmware reduced range
2020-6-30
Use props
Spooky Spirits
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1204255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I get about 3.5 miles out of my Mavic Air 2 in wide open flat farm country.
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 6-30 15:14
I think the mobile cellular data is used for maps and there have been a couple of YouTube videos recently noted in this forum that show how to cache maps for times you want the cellular off or can't get any because you're way out in the boonies.

Yeah, that has always been the case but I have never read in any drone manual the need to have cellular running to use an app. It also states further down that list the need to cache the map over the internet - which you don't need to do if you have cellular running. I'm wondering if cellular is needed for any other reason on the Fly App?  
2020-7-1
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 7-1 00:59
Yeah, that has always been the case but I have never read in any drone manual the need to have cellular running to use an app. It also states further down that list the need to cache the map over the internet - which you don't need to do if you have cellular running. I'm wondering if cellular is needed for any other reason on the Fly App?

Well, a lot of people fly in airplane mode with no problems and when I select airplane mode cellular turns off. So I’m guessing cellular is only used for maps.
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 7-1 07:21
Well, a lot of people fly in airplane mode with no problems and when I select airplane mode cellular turns off. So I’m guessing cellular is only used for maps.

That's what I thought so why does the manual state that - very odd.
2020-7-1
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 7-1 07:22
That's what I thought so why does the manual state that - very odd.

Why don't you start a new thread...we're not getting much help here.  Put DJI Mindy in the Subject field someway...like " DJI Mindy Does Cellular have to be on???" Reference Page 40, second Caution bullet.
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 7-1 07:48
Why don't you start a new thread...we're not getting much help here.  Put DJI Mindy in the Subject field someway...like " DJI Mindy Does Cellular have to be on???" Reference Page 40, second Caution bullet.

Good point. It's up in the Mavic section. Let's see what they say (if anything).
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there EffyTech. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try flying your DJI Mavic Air 2 to a different location to see if the issue will still persist and kindly please put your mobile device on Airplane mode as well. Putting the mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Finally, please try to refere to A J's post #4 for the proper way for the DJI Mavic Air 2's  remote controller antenna are positioned in relation to the aircraft. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.
2020-7-1
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

I have flown my mavic air 2 CE version at 6.5 km in a less dens rural area. The height at witch you max your drone is also important, the higher the further! I had my cellular data plan on, so that does not seem to matter in my setup, with an iphone 11pro. Latest fw and latest DJI Fly app.
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 7-1 07:48
Why don't you start a new thread...we're not getting much help here.  Put DJI Mindy in the Subject field someway...like " DJI Mindy Does Cellular have to be on???" Reference Page 40, second Caution bullet.

As we expected - it only makes a difference to the maps according to DJI Mindy so at best an incomplete statement in the manual. If you're willing to cache the maps over WiFi then no problem flying in airplane mode - though I always leave 4G running anyway.
2020-7-2
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

a week ago I've tried to reach Rampion Offshore Wind Farm from Hove promenade (it was stupid idea 'coz, as I've read latter, it's at least 13 km far from shore ). any way it was a good test for MA2 range flying over water. during flight I had 2-3 warnings 'weak signal. adjusting' then I reached 4.5 km when the signal has been lost and MA2 got into RTH.
2020-7-2
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

vitaly258 Posted at 7-2 09:42
a week ago I've tried to reach Rampion Offshore Wind Farm from Hove promenade (it was stupid idea 'coz, as I've read latter, it's at least 13 km far from shore ). any way it was a good test for MA2 range flying over water. during flight I had 2-3 warnings 'weak signal. adjusting' then I reached 4.5 km when the signal has been lost and MA2 got into RTH.

I'd love to have this much trust in my MA2. Am I crazy for not?
2020-7-2
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

No problems with range here easily go more than 10000ft here in Urban city. You guys in CE areas feel sorry for you.
2020-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules