Does connecting the battery to the charger prevent the battery fr...
4189 17 2020-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Does "short" connection of the battery to the charger prevent the battery from discharging automatically?

When the batteries are fully charged, the automatic discharge starts a few days later to save the batteries, so to extend their lifetime ...

My question:
For example, if the batteries (fully charged two days before) are briefly connected to the Multi Charger on the eve of a planned flight, they will of course not be charged any further (... they are - according to the assumption - still 100% charged).
But is the time retriggered after which this automatic unloading process is started or can it happen that the unloading starts a few hours later, i.e. overnight?
Sometimes you don't want to have to recharge all the batteries immediately before the flight ...
So it would be helpful if you could stop / delay / postpone the discharge process by briefly connecting the batteries to the charger ...

Frank
2020-6-30
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Nope - their intelligent design means that, once fully charged, they stop charging - they don't have a 'trickle charge' function
2020-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sometimes you don't want to have to recharge all the batteries immediately before the flight ...
So just recharge till they are half full for storage and top up when you are going to use them.

So it would be helpful if you could stop / delay / postpone the discharge process by briefly connecting the batteries to the charger.
You don't want to leave your batteries sitting fully charged, it's bad for them.
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-30 04:45
Nope - their intelligent design means that, once fully charged, they stop charging - they don't have a 'trickle charge' function

... I meant:
Take the batteries out of the charger and store them in the case for 2 days, for example. After that, they still have full capacity ...
What happens if you plug it back into the charger for a minute, maybe? The control LEDs of the batteries remain dark, do not flash ...
Can it still happen that the automatic unloading process then starts anyway, maybe after 6 hours ???   
2020-6-30
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 6-30 05:07
... I meant:
Take the batteries out of the charger and store them in the case for 2 days, for example. After that, they still have full capacity ...
What happens if you plug it back into the charger for a minute, maybe? The control LEDs of the batteries remain dark, do not flash ...

What Labroides said above
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 6-30 05:07
... I meant:

They won't still have full capacity after two days. The MA2 batteries initially auto discharge from 100% - 96% after 24 hours of the recharge completing. And no, you can not recharge the batteries from 96% back to 100% on day 2. Based on what I've seen the batteries need to have depleted to around 90% before you can recharge them.

The discharge cycle then restarts after 5 days from 96% to 60% which takes 2 days to discharge to that level. As advised, it is better to plan your flights and use the fully recharged batteries within one-day of charging them to 100%. The best plan is to fly the drone with 100% down to around 20% then recharge them to 50% on your return (turn off the charger when the third LED begins flashing) then store the battery until the night before you wish to fly again and fully recharge. That way you won't need to rely on the auto discharge anyway whilst keeping the batteries healthy in storage between recharge cycles. It is also not healthy for the battery to be recharged when near full capacity.

TBH - the loss in flight time from taking off with 96% rather than 100% is about a minute but leaving the battery at 100% for 5 days may cause swelling and cell damage in the longer term. So do not expect DJI to change it.
2020-6-30
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I agree with AJ....but I have heard on other DJI Intelligent batteries that tapping the power button (as in checking the charge) resets the timer for the one day and five day features. I would assume it holds true on MA2 batteries.
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 6-30 07:20
I agree with AJ....but I have heard on other DJI Intelligent batteries that tapping the power button (as in checking the charge) resets the timer for the one day and five day features. I would assume it holds true on MA2 batteries.

That is true and worth testing out as does reset the discharge countdown on other batteries I have used on other drones before. Yet to test it on these given that I have not had to rely on the discharge function as yet but a good point to at least try.  
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 6-30 05:47
They won't still have full capacity after two days. The MA2 batteries initially auto discharge from 100% - 96% after 24 hours of the recharge completing. And no, you can not recharge the batteries from 96% back to 100% on day 2. Based on what I've seen the batteries need to have depleted to around 90% before you can recharge them.

The discharge cycle then restarts after 5 days from 96% to 60% which takes 2 days to discharge to that level. As advised, it is better to plan your flights and use the fully recharged batteries within one-day of charging them to 100%. The best plan is to fly the drone with 100% down to around 20% then recharge them to 50% on your return (turn off the charger when the third LED begins flashing) then store the battery until the night before you wish to fly again and fully recharge. That way you won't need to rely on the auto discharge anyway whilst keeping the batteries healthy in storage between recharge cycles. It is also not healthy for the battery to be recharged when near full capacity.

Thank you for the very understandable explanations!
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Rustic17 Posted at 6-30 07:20
I agree with AJ....but I have heard on other DJI Intelligent batteries that tapping the power button (as in checking the charge) resets the timer for the one day and five day features. I would assume it holds true on MA2 batteries.

That sounds very, very interesting.
I definitely have to test that more closely.
I was looking for something like this, a way to prevent automatic discharge at least occasionally ...
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 6-30 07:36
That is true and worth testing out as does reset the discharge countdown on other batteries I have used on other drones before. Yet to test it on these given that I have not had to rely on the discharge function as yet but a good point to at least try.

If someone has gained knowledge about it, then we should definitely discuss it!

Yes, it all sounds very interesting, and maybe you can use it (a little) to influence the usability of charged batteries ...
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 6-30 11:07
Thank you for the very understandable explanations!

You're welcome - you'll find that after setting up the drone on day 1 and flying it a few times the batteries will become the biggest thing to maintain.
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 6-30 11:14
If someone has gained knowledge about it, then we should definitely discuss it!

Yes, it all sounds very interesting, and maybe you can use it (a little) to influence the usability of charged batteries ...

Well I happened to fully recharge two MA2 batteries late last night to fly today but it's been raining on and off all day so I didn't fly. I have deliberately pressed the power buttons within the first 24 hours of the charge so I'll put one of them in the drone before flying tomorrow morning and if it's still got a 100% charge after 36 hours then we'll know it works by resetting the countdown If it's got 96% then it hasn't. I'll return to this thread with my findings.
2020-6-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 6-30 13:36
Well I happened to fully recharge two MA2 batteries late last night to fly today but it's been raining on and off all day so I didn't fly. I have deliberately pressed the power buttons within the first 24 hours of the charge so I'll put one of them in the drone before flying tomorrow morning and if it's still got a 100% charge after 36 hours then we'll know it works by resetting the countdown If it's got 96% then it hasn't. I'll return to this thread with my findings.

Thank you for your efforts, already now!
I will also participate in such investigations, of course ...

Store two fully charged batteries for a week, but:
  • At the first one, briefly press the button every day (for example in the evening) ...
  • ... don't do anything with the second one, so just store them "at rest" for 7 days.
2020-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 6-30 22:44
Thank you for your efforts, already now!
I will also participate in such investigations, of course ...

Ok - I put both batteries in the drone and turned them on after pressing the power buttons yesterday evening before the 24 hour discharge started. Both batteries still discharged and are now showing 96% - so pressing the power button on the MA2 batteries, unlike previous models, does not reset the discharge countdown timer - worth a try! And I put one on the charger and as expected, it won't recharge as the current charge level is too high.
2020-7-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A J Posted at 7-1 00:54
Ok - I put both batteries in the drone and turned them on after pressing the power buttons yesterday evening before the 24 hour discharge started. Both batteries still discharged and are now showing 96% - so pressing the power button on the MA2 batteries, unlike previous models, does not reset the discharge countdown timer - worth a try! And I put one on the charger and as expected, it won't recharge as the current charge level is too high.

Thank you so much!

Really interesting - and a shame at the same time, at least a little ...     
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 7-1 04:43
Thank you so much!

Really interesting - and a shame at the same time, at least a little ...

It's not all bad - I still got a 25 minute flight time flying at 400' AGL in a fresh breeze earlier today with it after taking off on 95% and ironically it literally started raining as I was packing up - had I had that extra minute or two from 100% I would have come home with a wet drone!
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Frank. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. In addition to these inquiry. The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules