911 10 2020-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had a good look through the Mavic Air 2 manual and noticed that on page 40 under 'Camera View' the second warning caption states that "mobile cellular data is required when using the DJI Fly App". This is the first time I have seen that written in a manual. I know that cellular is required if you wish to cache maps in real time but the statement makes no reference to maps - just that it is required to use the app. Many fly with airplane mode enabled which will turn off the cellular data on the mobile... Can DJI explain the statement - does turning off cellular now affect the app performance or is it a blip in the manual?
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-7-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can DJI explain the statement
Probably not.
does turning off cellular now affect the app performance or is it a blip in the manual
You need internet connection to activate the drone and sign into your DJI account initially.
You need internet data if you update firmware or software
But it makes no difference at all to the app or your flying.
It's just another of many cases of poor, contradictory and confusing wording in DJI documantation.
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-1 08:11
Can DJI explain the statement
Probably not.
does turning off cellular now affect the app performance or is it a blip in the manual

Hahahaha - I think you're right
2020-7-1
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Or another way of "enticing" you to do an update?
Seen a couple reports where the AC was denied motor engagement until an update was done...
2020-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 7-1 09:23
Or another way of "enticing" you to do an update?
Seen a couple reports where the AC was denied motor engagement until an update was done...

There is no firmware update pending. I think it's simply been written out of context in the manual. But no harm in clarifying as you never know.
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi A J, thanks for your feedback, turning off the mobile cellular data will not affect anything important except the map may not be loaded, the flight records cannot be automatically synced and so on.
2020-7-2
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-2 03:53
Hi A J, thanks for your feedback, turning off the mobile cellular data will not affect anything important except the map may not be loaded, the flight records cannot be automatically synced and so on.

Thanks for the reply Mindy - I'll just ignore it then.
2020-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

A J Posted at 7-2 03:58
Thanks for the reply Mindy - I'll just ignore it then.

Please ensure the APP is logged in, the firmware has been updated before turning off the mobile cellular.
2020-7-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-3 03:04
Please ensure the APP is logged in, the firmware has been updated before turning off the mobile cellular.

Yep, I always do. Thanks again.
2020-7-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

A J Posted at 7-3 03:24
Yep, I always do. Thanks again.

No problem, enjoy flying.
2020-7-4
Use props