4k hyperlapse test in windy conditions
836 15 2020-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

Blowing hard tonight, almost a bit stormy in fact and weird sky. I would estimate wind gusts to hit around 10-12m/s at most. My little Bzzzzie was really dancing in the wind. I rode it up against the wind while doing a hyperlapse just to see how bad it gets. Threw the 350 RAWs into PS/ACR, exported and made a 4k/25fps hyperlapse.

If anyone is curious what is salvageable from stock Warp Stabilizer settings this gives some idea. Do you find it usable?

2020-7-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2020-7-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The stabiliser makes a big difference
2020-7-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Thats brilliant ! time lapse or hyperlapse looks a great tool to create great videos
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

A J Posted at 7-6 00:26
The stabiliser makes a big difference

I need to do more testing with this in what is presumably more favorable conditions.  I've read and seen reports complaining about hyperlapse jerkiness with the MA2, so I'm curious what I can get out of it with a little work.

I think this specific sample isn't too bad considering the conditions, but its clearly not as smooth as one would want. I'm unsure if it can be improved by tweaking Warp Stabilizer settings.

Making a hyperlapse from RAWs this way is obviously interesting due to the potential to pull out more dynamic range and overall IQ. Still surprised my laptop didn't buckle over when I loaded up all those RAWs in ACR to batch process ;)
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-6 00:40
I need to do more testing with this in what is presumably more favorable conditions.  I've read and seen reports complaining about hyperlapse jerkiness with the MA2, so I'm curious what I can get out of it with a little work.

I think this specific sample isn't too bad considering the conditions, but its clearly not as smooth as one would want. I'm unsure if it can be improved by tweaking Warp Stabilizer settings.

I think the main reason is if recording in 8K there are six-second intervals between captures - at least with 1080p you can reduce the interval to 2 seconds which will minimise the instability of the overall footage. Many are now doing hyperlapses in 1080p whilst capturing the files in RAW and stitching the hyperlapse in post in 4K. I think the MA2 is being used by DJI as a tester product for 8K which may give some indication of what is to come with the Mavic 3 line up.
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

A J Posted at 7-6 01:25
I think the main reason is if recording in 8K there are six-second intervals between captures - at least with 1080p you can reduce the interval to 2 seconds which will minimise the instability of the overall footage. Many are now doing hyperlapses in 1080p whilst capturing the files in RAW and stitching the hyperlapse in post in 4K. I think the MA2 is being used by DJI as a tester product for 8K which may give some indication of what is to come with the Mavic 3 line up.

In course lock and waypoint modes I believe one can select 2s intervals as well, even at 8k, just not in free and circle.  Some samples I've seem to indicate capture interval makes no difference. It is a bit confusing. but must be about processing power.

Also, the processing delay when shooting "normal" 48mp photos indicates that the device is doing some pretty heavy stuff. Not surprising, since this isn't "real" 48mp as in 48mps worth of color and light capturing RBG pixels. Bottom line, it is and always will be a 12mp sensor and digital cleverness can't change physical facts. Maybe this pulls processing power away from balancing and positioning it in the air, causing more jerkiness. I dunno.  
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-6 02:52
In course lock and waypoint modes I believe one can select 2s intervals as well, even at 8k, just not in free and circle.  Some samples I've seem to indicate capture interval makes no difference. It is a bit confusing. but must be about processing power.

Also, the processing delay when shooting "normal" 48mp photos indicates that the device is doing some pretty heavy stuff. Not surprising, since this isn't "real" 48mp as in 48mps worth of color and light capturing RBG pixels. Bottom line, it is and always will be a 12mp sensor and digital cleverness can't change physical facts. Maybe this pulls processing power away from balancing and positioning it in the air, causing more jerkiness. I dunno.

I'll have to check that later - got four fully charged batteries - just waiting to see if these 30mph winds settle...

Yep, the MA2 has a 1/2' 12mp Quad Bayer sensor. The '48mp' stills do look very impressive from such a small drone but it is not true native 48mp. The placement of 2G, 1B, 1R behind each pixel rather than just one colour in each pixel with a normal bayer sensor does pull on more processing power from the drone to create a still image that replicates the look of 48mp. The same is true with the video as, for example, APAS and FocusTrack is disabled when recording in frame rates higher than 30p like 4K60p due to the processing power needed.
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

A J Posted at 7-6 03:10
I'll have to check that later - got four fully charged batteries - just waiting to see if these 30mph winds settle...

Yep, the MA2 has a 1/2' 12mp Quad Bayer sensor. The '48mp' stills do look very impressive from such a small drone but it is not true native 48mp. The placement of 2G, 1B, 1R behind each pixel rather than just one colour in each pixel with a normal bayer sensor does pull on more processing power from the drone to create a still image that replicates the look of 48mp. The same is true with the video as, for example, APAS and FocusTrack is disabled when recording in frame rates higher than 30p like 4K60p due to the processing power needed.

By all means, I don't mean to criticize the device. I'm new to drones and pretty impressed by what it is capable of. Even stays in the air with my jerky fingers and spastic mind attempting to fly  it
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-6 03:43
By all means, I don't mean to criticize the device. I'm new to drones and pretty impressed by what it is capable of. Even stays in the air with my jerky fingers and spastic mind attempting to fly  it

It is an exceptional drone for the price. When you think a 48mp native sensor on a true Hasselblad camera will cost you more than a brand new BMW it kind of puts things into perspective
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

A J Posted at 7-6 03:47
It is an exceptional drone for the price. When you think a 48mp native sensor on a true Hasselblad camera will cost you more than a brand new BMW it kind of puts things into perspective

Oh yes, everyone that is deeply into photo and audio stuff know that names (and minuscule improvements in speccs)...cost arms and legs

What would've been cool to see in drone is pixel shift type technology like for instance Olympus use on some of their m4/3rds bodies. They use the IBIS to shift the sensor a tiny bit, capture a bunch of exposures as fast as poss, then blend the exposures. Imagine the good ol' 1-inch Sony chip in the Mavic Pro with IBIS and pixel shift. Of course no good for moving stuff, but for land and cityskapes. A drone would have three different stabilizing systems, flight, gimbal and IBIS which means a lot of latitude if the software is clever enough.  
2020-7-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done.
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-6 04:31
Oh yes, everyone that is deeply into photo and audio stuff know that names (and minuscule improvements in speccs)...cost arms and legs

What would've been cool to see in drone is pixel shift type technology like for instance Olympus use on some of their m4/3rds bodies. They use the IBIS to shift the sensor a tiny bit, capture a bunch of exposures as fast as poss, then blend the exposures. Imagine the good ol' 1-inch Sony chip in the Mavic Pro with IBIS and pixel shift. Of course no good for moving stuff, but for land and cityskapes. A drone would have three different stabilizing systems, flight, gimbal and IBIS which means a lot of latitude if the software is clever enough.

I tested the HL features today - only six second intervals as the minimum on all four submodes in 8K. But all four are now 8K compatible.
2020-7-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

A J Posted at 7-6 12:43
I tested the HL features today - only six second intervals as the minimum on all four submodes in 8K. But all four are now 8K compatible.

I  must give you my most sincere apologies then, I could really swear I saw 2s when I checked it out some time ago. I specifically fired up the drone to check it I remember. I Just rechecked it and you are right. The pre-senility must really be getting to me as the 4-0 is approaching. I am really sorry for putting forth false claims.

6s across the modes makes consistent sense and I like consistency.

Anyhow, that makes the jerkiness-discussion much easier to relate to as well. There is a simple physical explanation. Time.
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there M4cr0s. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this wonderful video you have filmed. Great work and keep on filming.
2020-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks nice!
2020-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now