What would you do?
608 8 2020-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

As COVID-19 lockdown started to ease in my area, I flew the MM for the first time in 3 months just to cycle the batteries. It was 1 pm in the afternoon, hot sun, over 34 deg C (no one should disturb me under this kinds of hot sun right?). I have just landed the drone and relaunched with battery 2 when a family of 5 came to the park. The eldest looked to be over 70 years old and was helped by his son (I assume). Upon seeing me, they made a beeline towards me (non of them was wearing mask and I didn't wear mine as I planned to be alone and far away from anyone). As they approach, I retreated while trying to maneuvre the MM back. The kids came... and went past me so a I sighed a relieve but to my surprise, the son brought the old man and made him sit right next to me. I smiled but walked off, hand landed the drone, and walked further, packed up and went off. Feeling a bit guilty that the family could have just tried to be friendly and curious of what I was doing. Now, question is, what would fellow drone pilots here do if you were in my shoes? Any advice in such situation?
2020-7-5
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I would have done the same thing. People are naturally curious about drones. Kids ask to have a go etc. It's annoying so I try to fly where I am not bothered by anyone. We have a legal 30m distance we have to keep away from people here anyway.
2020-7-5
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

The kids were probably thinking "Wow we got someone else to watch grand papa" the other thing you should away have your mask or a scarf to wipe your brow or wear when in close. Scarfs are always handy. I always have one when walking  around in the Philippines  (similar climate) states too if in country side and not in the water. I'd guest if you returned tomorrow the gentleman would be sitting there again or try to if you got there early again. I think when we get more seasoned (older) we get accustom to things.  This is the new world with a world Pandemic and getting old is part of it. I wouldn't take offence if someone walked.
Sorry kind of winded.  Did you have a nice flight?Didn't really answer your question but hope you can read between lines.
2020-7-5
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Malaysia

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to carry a facemask in my pouch next time.

The flight was great, reasonable wind at 15-18 km/h, some clouds but no rain. The MM looked happy to be in the air again. Didn't manage to capture any good videos as I didn't have anything in mind to shoot except enjoying the flight.

2020-7-6
Use props
Mashroomhut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2760791 ft
Poland

Bloodied_Mini Posted at 7-6 06:50
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to carry a facemask in my pouch next time.

The flight was great, reasonable wind at 15-18 km/h, some clouds but no rain. The MM looked happy to be in the air again. Didn't manage to capture any good videos as I didn't have anything in mind to shoot except enjoying the flight.

Just as a joke - You should start coughing. It always work if people are aware of the covid.
Yes, having a mask in your Pocket "just in case" is always better solution! In Your situation I would probably do the same as You did.
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get the impression that they had probably come out of lock down recently too and were perhaps trying to be friendly or at least curious. You did the right thing to social distance from them under the circumstances.  
2020-7-6
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Malaysia

Haha coughing would be interesting to scare people away... definitely an option.
2020-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bloodied_Mini Posted at 7-7 04:50
Haha coughing would be interesting to scare people away... definitely an option.

It works a treat
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this post and sharing your personal experience during your mission. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best recommendation to this query. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules