Could not override RTH lifted upward and crashed
1559 17 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

i was flying and had my inspire 2 meters from the ground to land at 15% battery left and the drone then went into RTH mode and elevated to 25 meters. At that point I tried to override it like I've always done but it would not let me. It kept elevating till it hit a tree and crashed. I'm pretty upset because I've overrided the RTH function many many many times. I have over 100 flights. Help! Anyone had issues with this? I have all the input to show me backing off the power and it kept climbing.

2015-6-18
Use props
sstsg6377
lvl.1

United States

Mine did the same thing it's in for repair now after it crashed
2015-6-18
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Question, were you within 20 meters from where you took off?

Just trying to figure out if RTH should have engaged in the first place.

Obviously did because of low battery but within 20 meters it's supposed to just drop in place.
2015-6-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-19 06:00

Just trying to figure out if RTH shoul ...

I was standing almost exactly where it took off and and I did not move throughout the flight of the inspire.
2015-6-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

I was standing almost exactly where it took off and and I did not move throughout the flight of the inspire.
2015-6-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

sstsg6377@aol.c Posted at 2015-6-19 04:19

Do you know if they will warranty it?
2015-6-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

2015-6-18
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

V0LTR0N Posted at 2015-6-19 10:14
I was standing almost exactly where it took off and and I did not move throughout the flight of th ...

That's extremely important to tell DJI as if the Inspire is within 20 metres of where it took off then RTH should make it land immediately, not rise and return to the precise home point.
2015-6-18
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United States

Mine did the same thing a few days ago and I was just a few feet from where I took off. Luckily I wasnt under a nearby tree.  Sure did scare me though. However I was able to regain control.
2015-6-19
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

I sent in the Inspire to DJI and it was checked in on June 22nd. Their "ZenDesk" is a joke. Nobody has contacted me and I've sent over 8 e-mails to them. I'm really disappointed with them. $4,000 is a lot to spend on something and in NO way was it my fault. I have the data on it and everything. Now they just don't want to communicate with me. Really sad. I'm leaving for vacation on the 1st of August and would like my Inspire back. Hope they deliver. If not I'll tell them to just keep it.
2015-7-15
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sorry to see things went pear shaped for you.
What altitude was pre-set in the return to home settings, 25meters?
It's possible 'it' thought it was more than 20meters from home point.
And dependent on the programme tolerances, the difference may only have been 0.5meter.
So decided to climb to pre-set height.
I assume from your description that the take off was from a relatively confined with trees location.
Which in the scheme of things doesn't allow the bird, or you, any leeway if the RC link goes down or misbehaves.
And possibly being able to override the RTH many many times, as you say you have.
Lulled you into a false sense of security.
2015-7-15
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I never had this problem, but i will be aware of it, sorry for your loss...
2015-7-15
Use props
e3nity
lvl.2

Singapore

Sorry to hear what happened. Could your home point be changed to another location without you realising it? Did you land the i1 else where and took off again? Thats why the i1 reacted this way. Never set home point under a tree. If ever needed to take off under a overhead shelter, always reset the home point out of the obstructed area after take off. I will always make a habit to assess the envoirment before i take off and plan my route. Just to be safe than sorry.
2015-7-15
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

Did they warranty yours? They're trying to charge me $500 bucks. I am not paying for their mess up!
2015-8-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

Yes, I was only 6 feet away from where it took off and where I was trying to land it. I had it about 4 feet off the ground landing when the RTH function just took over.
2015-8-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

V0LTR0N Posted at 2015-6-19 10:15

They took 8 weeks to get back to me when they say you'll hear in 6 weeks for warranty stuff.  They want to charge me $500 to fix it. So, I tried calling throughout today to get a hold of someone and all of their phones are busy so they hang up on you. They say try to call back at a later time. It's been the MOST frustrating company to ever work with. Very disappointed.
2015-8-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-19 13:25
That's extremely important to tell DJI as if the Inspire is within 20 metres of where it took off  ...

Jim, told them and they want to charge me $500 to repair it. It wasn't even my fault and they want me to pay them more money!?!? When you print ou their RMA information and how to get it fixed they tell you 6 weeks. i'm going on 8 weeks. Sad....
2015-8-18
Use props
V0LTR0N
lvl.1

United States

ambambcopter@bt Posted at 2015-7-16 04:20
Sorry to see things went pear shaped for you.
What altitude was pre-set in the return to home settin ...

Not a false sense of security bro. I have landed this thing on a boat, on an island only a few inches larger than the drone itself.  I fly it within inches of waterfalls and never have I not had control like this. Just took over.
2015-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules