iPad Mini 2 Overheating.....no more.
3729 9 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

I'm sure many have experience the beautiful live HD stream to your iPad Mini 2. You know, the one that last for about 8 minutes before the iPad starts to heat up and the video signal goes to hell?

On a hunch I tried something today.
• I took 2 paper towels
• folded them down the exact dimensions of my iPad mini
• Dampened with water (DAMP not soaked)
• Placed the folded square into the sun shield cavity where the iPad lays flat
• Placed the iPad on top of the damp paper towel, plugged it in and flew.

The damp paper towel kept the iPad cool for 2 full battery flights standing in the sun!
The open back of my home made sun shield combined with the damp towel behind the iPad allowed natural airflow to constantly cool it. (Keep in mind for me the lag usually starts around 8 minutes.) At the end of 2 full bats It had just begun to lag. Nothing major. I landed and popped in bat 3. I dampened the paper towel a little more as it was drying out. Wiped the back of the iPad with the damp towel in the open air for about 60 seconds which quickly cooled it. Flew the 3rd full bat with no lag. Yes it's sort of a half a** way of doing things but what a pleasure to have real time HD for 3 battery flights...in the sun.

Do this at your own risk. At this stage with the P3, battery's, filters, iPad Mini and a case I can't afford to buy anything else much less replace someone else's water logged iPad.
2015-6-18
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-18
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

rincondanny Posted at 2015-6-19 13:09
**** The posts are shielded ****

What does this mean? And where is my comment?
2015-6-19
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-21
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

What's going on why cant I reply to the thread?
2015-6-21
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Nice, thanks for the tip. Mine does get hot, but hasn't to the point of getting laggy yet. With the hottest month of the year approaching, l'll remember to try this.
2015-6-21
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

I tried to post it here, but for some reason it's blocked.   So I created a new thread that has another fix check out this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-22247-1-1.html

-Dog
2015-6-21
Use props
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

Do you think the A8x chip on the ipad air 2 would be better for the heating issue, and furthermore overall performance?
2015-6-26
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1708412 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue with my iPad Mini 2 and Inspire 1. It's been around 100 degrees here lately and after 1 flight, my video on the iPad starts getting laggy and freezes for a few moments.
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

devin_mcnulty Posted at 2015-6-27 04:32
Do you think the A8x chip on the ipad air 2 would be better for the heating issue, and furthermore o ...

yes it will
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules