Gimbal Overload
2519 23 2020-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

I have had a Gimbal Overload warning come up on a couple of occasions , should I be concerned?
I have also noticed my Gimbal when pointed all the way up will suddenly drop, not exactly sure on the degree but I will take note next time and update this post.
2020-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jege41. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic Air 2. I'd like to ask if the said drone had a crash or any hard landings before this issue occurred? Kindly please also check if there is any dirt or sand stuck in the gimbal of the drone. If possible, can you provide a video of the status of the gimbal starting when you power on the unit? Thank you.
2020-7-16
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-16 22:22
Hello there jege41. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic Air 2. I'd like to ask if the said drone had a crash or any hard landings before this issue occurred? Kindly please also check if there is any dirt or sand stuck in the gimbal of the drone. If possible, can you provide a video of the status of the gimbal starting when you power on the unit? Thank you.

I have had no crashes or hard landings as the drone fly's as expected.
I rarely fly in Sport mode and return when the battery falls below 32%
I have enabled the "look up" on the gimbal so I am wondering if that might have something to do with the issue?
I will record the error the next time It happens, and in regards to the jerking down of the gimbal I am sure I have several examples of that.
Thank you
2020-7-17
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-16 22:22
Hello there jege41. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic Air 2. I'd like to ask if the said drone had a crash or any hard landings before this issue occurred? Kindly please also check if there is any dirt or sand stuck in the gimbal of the drone. If possible, can you provide a video of the status of the gimbal starting when you power on the unit? Thank you.

Hi
Please see the recent clip I uploaded to YouTube (gimbal drop)
https://youtu.be/X4TtOVCpH28
2020-7-17
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To better understand the issue - are you using any ND filters on the camera? Have you calibrated the gimbal on a flat, level surface at home? Have you removed all of the stickers off the gimbal - including the one at the back? Have you checked behind the gimbal to ensure there is no dust/dirt build up around the dampeners?

If you don't have a third party ND filter on the lens and the answer is yes to the other three questions then I suggest you refresh the firmware using assistant 2 and recalibrate the gimbal afterwards.

If that doesn't change the sudden drop and the overload warnings continue then it looks like a hardware issue and I suggest sending it back to DJI for repair under warranty. You will notice that the gimbal pitch will drop a little when you fly forward in full pitch in Sport mode due to the angle the drone needs to be at in order to maximise air speed but it doesn't drop randomly as seen in your clip and never below zero degrees.

Have you ever turned the drone on with the gimbal protector still attached? Hate to say it but I think the gimbal motors on your drone are damaged and that is usually the cause...  
2020-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

jege41 Posted at 7-17 07:54
I have had no crashes or hard landings as the drone fly's as expected.
I rarely fly in Sport mode and return when the battery falls below 32%
I have enabled the "look up" on the gimbal so I am wondering if that might have something to do with the issue?

Hello there jege41. Thank you for the given information and for the update. After watching the said video that you have provided. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a professional team that will do there best to check  the said DJI drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-7-20
Use props
sizz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75449 ft
Russia

I've had the same problem since my first flight.  
This is especially this jelly and gimbal overload appears when shooting 360-panoramas or when flying in the wind. If fly very smoothly, in windless weather and take only photos, everything seems to be normal.
video from drone: https://youtu.be/M04T-PIEc_Y
2020-7-24
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

sizz Posted at 7-24 13:14
This is especially this jelly and gimbal overload appears when shooting 360-panoramas or when flying in the wind. If fly very smoothly, in windless weather and take only photos, everything seems to be normal.

I guess I am going to have to send my MA2 in for service unfortunately, but it is gonna have to wait until after the summer as I'm enjoying it to much right now to part with it.
2020-7-24
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

sizz Posted at 7-24 13:14
This is especially this jelly and gimbal overload appears when shooting 360-panoramas or when flying in the wind. If fly very smoothly, in windless weather and take only photos, everything seems to be normal.

I finally sent my MA2 in for repair which so far has been a nightmare, I'm not going to get into it to much but to say they are trying to turn a warranty issue into a Refresh repair which as you probably know has financial implications and replacement concerns.
2020-11-21
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

To be honest, I would not have lived with any amount of hardware failure for 4 months. Especially one that cripples the smooth video and photo capabilities.

Dji should not put you into a situation to use up your refresh. Lay it out here and you may get help from the sometimes wonderful moderators.
2020-11-21
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-21 19:00
To be honest, I would not have lived with any amount of hardware failure for 4 months. Especially one that cripples the smooth video and photo capabilities.

Dji should not put you into a situation to use up your refresh. Lay it out here and you may get help from the sometimes wonderful moderators.

Hi

I had read online that their service center had issues, but I didn’t expect what I'm experiencing at the moment. I'm hoping that it's just human error, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until Monday, and if they continue the shenanigans, well they'll find out.

2020-11-21
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

I also experience the dreaded gimbal overload which by now must be common enough that it should be considered a design issue. At least from my perspective as an engineer working in portable elecrtonics.

And since it is a design issue, they should cover it in good conscience even above and beyond warranty, not trying to wriggle away with helpless and sometimes poorly informed customers. In other conditions, such as in tort strong countries like USA, they would've already faced class action lawsuit. It has happened so often with LG phones, Google (Nexus and Pixels, also made by LG), and most famously Apple phones.

For my case I don't have the benefit of refresh coveage in Malaysia, so it was a dice roll of either being honoured by warranty, or out of pocket repairs. Thankfully mine was covered under warranty and the repair was done in about 3 weeks without too much hassle. Note that there is no guarantee of non recurrence.
2020-11-21
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-21 20:03
I also experience the dreaded gimbal overload which by now must be common enough that it should be considered a design issue. At least from my perspective as an engineer working in portable elecrtonics.

And since it is a design issue, they should cover it in good conscience even above and beyond warranty, not trying to wriggle away with helpless and sometimes poorly informed customers. In other conditions, such as in tort strong countries like USA, they would've already faced class action lawsuit. It has happened so often with LG phones, Google (Nexus and Pixels, also made by LG), and most famously Apple phones.

I had some Gimbal Overload warning early on but they seem to have gone away since updating to firmware v.340.  The only time I get one now is when I have left the protector on and started the drone.
2020-11-22
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-22 13:29
I had some Gimbal Overload warning early on but they seem to have gone away since updating to firmware v.340.  The only time I get one now is when I have left the protector on and started the drone.

There is no real way to tell if your problem is the same as anyone elses just from the warning.

I can tell you mine is a proper gimbal / video shake, as if the gimbal is shivering. When you yaw your drone, it will result in extremely jello video. This may or may not occur during a regular flight, but if you fly fast in sports AND there is strong wind, the issue is prone to pop up. When I mean issue, it is the gimbal and video shaking, not the overload warning.

Another symptom is when I attempt to do a 360 panorama, the drone / gimbal will never be able to stabilize itself through the entire range of travel / positions, so it will overload and quit in the middle of a sequence. That is a pretty conclusive way of checking I think. While I was trying to "work my way out" of this problem, I hit this a few times and quickly gave up, contacted my local dealer, arranged for the warranty claim.
2020-11-22
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this gimbal overload problems since day 1 out of the box when I got the MA2 when it was released. Nothing can be done except sending back for replacement. Check my threads.
2020-11-23
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

I haven't the jelly gimbal issue, mine has been with the "Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation" setting turned on. When it is in that setting which consequently is important to me as I live in BC where there are mountains everywhere it defaults back suddenly ruining the shot, unless hovering then it will hold.
My concern at the moment isn't the gimbal issue though, it's warranty and I will explain all of this on a separate thread at a later time.
2020-11-23
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-20 00:04
Hello there jege41. Thank you for the given information and for the update. After watching the said video that you have provided. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a professional team that will do there best to check  the said DJI drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.

The biggest problem isn't the mechanical failure IMO it's dealing with customer service. They try to be friendly and everything but there is issues in regards to them comprehending what the actual problem is, and other more nefarious issues which I would rather save for another thread.  
I really enjoy dji products and give them five stars for R&D but one star for after sales service.
2020-11-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

fans01d4f09b Posted at 11-22 20:34
There is no real way to tell if your problem is the same as anyone elses just from the warning.

I can tell you mine is a proper gimbal / video shake, as if the gimbal is shivering. When you yaw your drone, it will result in extremely jello video. This may or may not occur during a regular flight, but if you fly fast in sports AND there is strong wind, the issue is prone to pop up. When I mean issue, it is the gimbal and video shaking, not the overload warning.

Wow!  That sounds like a systemic problem and not incidental like I was getting before the update.  

Mine on two different occasions in P/Normal mode with low wind popped up the dreaded gimble overload and initiated an auto Return to Home.  The two incidents occurred about a month apart.  After landing and turning off the drone the problem was gone.  

I have had the gimble shake in strong winds at certain directs and the warning appear but after the direction of the drone was changed and the gimble was not catching wind resistance the warnings subsided.

Have you tried adjusting the Advanced Gimble Setting to see if that minimizes the jello effect?
2020-11-24
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Today I flew my Air2 for the first time since upgrading the firmware to the current .460  Previously, this drone has worked perfectly, smooth as silk, its never been crashed, never been started with the gimbal cover still on, there is simply no explanation other than something in the firmware update changed things.  I am going to do all the usual things, I already did a gimbal calibration on the most level surface in my house, I flew after in normal and also tripod, and its just randomly jerking the camera down then right back to where it was.  Seems to happen when there are tiny changes in throttle forward or backward for me.  Straight on flight is quite normal.  But in POI, and any tight turning, it may happen.  I will reiterate... this has NEVER happened before, and I am at least 60 flights into this aircraft.  I use iOS.

No in flight error messages, but will check the logs now.

I will reinstall Fly, refresh the firmware, see if that helps.  Rather frustrating.
2020-11-24
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
Malaysia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-24 10:44
Wow!  That sounds like a systemic problem and not incidental like I was getting before the update.  

Mine on two different occasions in P/Normal mode with low wind popped up the dreaded gimble overload and initiated an auto Return to Home.  The two incidents occurred about a month apart.  After landing and turning off the drone the problem was gone.  

No, and I didn’t know what to set anyway. The advanced gimbal settings where just to control the speed of movement isn’t it?

From my memory this issue has existed way before the advanced gimbal settings were released.

If it was the intermittent overload, it don’t think it is similar to the failure I was getting. It should correctly flag and warn a user if any suddenly current spikes come up in the PID control system of stabilising the camera.
2020-11-24
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

Northwood Posted at 11-24 14:14
Today I flew my Air2 for the first time since upgrading the firmware to the current .460  Previously, this drone has worked perfectly, smooth as silk, its never been crashed, never been started with the gimbal cover still on, there is simply no explanation other than something in the firmware update changed things.  I am going to do all the usual things, I already did a gimbal calibration on the most level surface in my house, I flew after in normal and also tripod, and its just randomly jerking the camera down then right back to where it was.  Seems to happen when there are tiny changes in throttle forward or backward for me.  Straight on flight is quite normal.  But in POI, and any tight turning, it may happen.  I will reiterate... this has NEVER happened before, and I am at least 60 flights into this aircraft.  I use iOS.

No in flight error messages, but will check the logs now.

I just got back from flying and reviewed my video.  I am also on v.460 and I had no jerkiness or corrections. The gimble stays level throughout the flight even when in sport mode.  There was some light bounce back when decelerating from full speed as the drones pitch levels out in Sport mode.  I corrected in the Advanced Gimble Settings.

Sorry, I can not be more helpful but I am not experiencing the same symptoms.
2020-11-24
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
United States

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... MJ/view?usp=sharing

Here is a video of my gimbal overload. Right about the 10s the gimbal starts shaking.

Another screen recording, you can see that the video shakes, and I wasn't applying any gimbal command during the small jerkings:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... vo/view?usp=sharing
2020-11-25
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 11-23 05:31
I had this gimbal overload problems since day 1 out of the box when I got the MA2 when it was released. Nothing can be done except sending back for replacement. Check my threads.

yours is exactly the same as mine. I just didn't bother to record the screen captures that I saw when I had your symptoms.
2020-11-25
Use props
fans01d4f09b
lvl.4
United States

Do note that my repair is a complete gimbal replacement including the camera module. The replacement unit had a nice QR code on the top.

Since DJI will not come forth with any details, I am going to speculate that there is a design or process issue that causes premature failure. It is a shame, because for me, I suffered a gimbal failure with my Mavic Pro 1, and decided maybe they learn and improve things (as is usual custom in Chinese tech products, and I mean this as a compliment). I even baby the gimbal because I experience it breaking in MP1 without so much as a nasty glance.

Alas, you can imagine my dismay when this pops up. I can say I've had even less flights with this Mavic Air 2 before I crapped out compared to my Mavic Pro 1, which was notorious for its gimbal reliability issues.

The saving grace was that my drone was repaired very quickly and without much hassle by the local authorized party.

I further speculate that there should be a running improvement made and some corrective changes done to the process of manufacturing or design of the gimbal such that the issue does not recur with such a high frequency.

DJI has also made it such that it is not possible for a lay person with technical skills to repair or replace the gimbal. A factory level pairing via factory level software is required for any new gimbal system to be fitted to the drone.
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules