Recording driving inside car showing road ahead
1094 9 2020-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JOEJOETHEJOEY
New

United Kingdom

Hi all,

I've just got myself an Osmo Action and a PGYTech Suction Cup mount.  I was hoping to use it to record some driving showing the road ahead, but I'm having a few teething problems.

1) The field of view is very wide, is it possible to narrow it slightly?  I'm using 4K 30fps.

2) I'm mounting on the sun roof but the PGYTech doesn't extend very far down and most of the view is blocked by the rear view mirror.  I've tried to add an extension arm (which I used with an old GoPro Hero 4) but the vibrations are too much and the video is completely unusable.

3) The camera gets extremely hot, so much so it kinda burns when you touch it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Many thanks!!

Joe
2020-7-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

windshield suction mount. set to dewarp on and RS that will help cut the  fov down a lil.
2020-7-30
Use props
DrohneSG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

Hello,

i had similar problems when mounting the OA inside the car: overheating, reflections on the windshield,  parts of the car seen in the film.  Best solution for all that is:

outside mount: no reflections, enough cooling by the wind, no parts of the car to be seen.

I
2020-7-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should add a rubber tether just incase it comes loose.
2020-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DrohneSG Posted at 7-30 23:50
Hello,

i had similar problems when mounting the OA inside the car: overheating, reflections on the windshield,  parts of the car seen in the film.  Best solution for all that is:

Very cool - hope it doesn't come off
2020-7-31
Use props
JOEJOETHEJOEY
New

United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips guys, but I'm wanting to film the interior of the car but also show the road ahead.  I've set to dewarp and have RS on,  but that's still very wide.  The cheap plastic extension pole to lower the camera just vibrates too much.  I've not managed to find anything rigid to keep it steady.
2020-7-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

years ago, I open the Head rest, and the camera  in there.

Like said you will need a windshield mount  there are quite a few out there.

2020-7-31
Use props
JOEJOETHEJOEY
New

United Kingdom

Thanks Fishycomics, I thought about that too, but my car's seats are one piece without the connecting rods.  The windshield mount would only record the road or the driver, I'm looking at recording both like in a behind the driver view.  Lol.
2020-7-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

understood.     hope you find the answers, maybe check other youtubers out that might reply back,
2020-7-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You should be able to reduce the field of view when editing.  As for mounting, I think you will have to improvise using a selfie stick or something like that, tied onto a seat or whatever.  Some professional say that stabilisation should not be used in a car, because you then see the car moving about in the picture.  A matter for personal preference and testing.
2020-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules