2442 14 2020-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

VLOS is something you properly have heard before but not really sure what it actually means. VLOS is Visual Line Of Sight. Learn what it means for the Mavic Mini or any other drone :-)

2020-7-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 14:05
I always maintain VLOS...

Video Link On Subject !  

Yes and we have seen where you have super human vision while watching your drone go to the other end of the Chesapeake Bay 4.3 mile long bridge ;-)
2020-7-31
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative
2020-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Video Link On Subject !  

Video Link On Subject - Love it!!!!!
2020-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing. .
2020-8-1
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Video Link On Subject !  

VLOS already means visual line of sight, but the range of the mini is too far, so VLOS rarely works
2020-8-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

So all these guys using the active tracking on themselves while cycling are violating the rules. Hmmm... I wonder if that is true while in a boat also?
2020-8-1
Use props
Tony D.
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks for sharing. Finally, someone who took the time to research the FAA/Transport Canada meaning of VLOS. I have flown RC aircraft for many years and before flight telemetry was available and as developed as it is today, VLOS was your ONLY option. Looking away from the aircraft/helicopter, even for just a few seconds, or at a critical point in the flight could (and usually did) result in a crash. The bright and flashy colors seen on most RC planes help to see it better and what the orientation of the aircraft is at any given moment.
You make a very good point regarding the main reason for VLOS being a safety issue, and being able to know the speed, heading, orientation of your UAV. However, the fly app provides all that as well as a video downlink so you would think that would satisfy the FAA/TC requirement? The only problem is they put in the wording "able to see with unaided eye (with or without corrective lenses)" and this complicates the whole VLOS requirement. You are right, how are you going to be able to change settings, use RTH, maps...etc., if you are required to be watching the aircraft at all times?
Considering the size and color of the Mini (most DJI drones are greyish, whiteish colors that blend in with clouds and grey sky), would mean a limit of perhaps a soccer/football field before you would loose your track on it (No peeking down at your fly app remember, as this would breach the "at all times during the flight" requirement
The whole VLOS rule is as grey as a Mavic Air 2...
Cheers.
2020-8-2
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

I have not done a deep dive here,  https://www.faa.gov/ but I'm looking for the data and research behind VLOS.

My peak indicate data for manned aircraft (a deeper dive) airports,  accidents and incidents but relatively few with drones...

https://www.ntsb.gov/pages/Results.aspx?k=drone (not that deep)

Another quick peak showed wildlife strikes (more data since wildlife pre dates drones).

Haven't studied all, but what/where is the data for VLOS all the time?  (I misspoke here but left it as posted... not all the time  but  beyond VLOS)

Dammit! second edit!  Without a waiver!

Ready, Aim, Flame Me!!
2020-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Henrik Olsen. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this video. In addition to this the VLOS is being able to actually see your drone,  without the use of any visual aids, binoculars is considered as Visual Line of Sight ( VLOS ). If you can not longer see the said drone in flight, that is simply beyond your VLOS. I would highly recommend to follow the rules and regulations when flying your DJI Drones to avoid an untoward incidents. Thank you and have a safe flight always.  
2020-8-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting watch!
2020-9-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Video Link On Subject !  

Great video DB
2020-9-24
Use props
hansoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50794 ft
United States

My humble opinion.  I may be wrong here but this is my take on it.  VLOS doesn't mean you MUST BE LOOKING AT IT ALL THE TIME.  It simply means that there must never be something, like a building or tree or some other object, between you and your drone.  The drone must ALWAYS be in your Visual Line of Site.  Your view of the drone must be unobstructed at all times.  Doesn't mean you have to be actually looking at it.  But, when you do need to see it there shouldn't be anything to hide it from your view between the drone and you.
2020-9-24
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hansoff Posted at 9-24 01:35
My humble opinion.  I may be wrong here but this is my take on it.  VLOS doesn't mean you MUST BE LOOKING AT IT ALL THE TIME.  It simply means that there must never be something, like a building or tree or some other object, between you and your drone.  The drone must ALWAYS be in your Visual Line of Site.  Your view of the drone must be unobstructed at all times.  Doesn't mean you have to be actually looking at it.  But, when you do need to see it there shouldn't be anything to hide it from your view between the drone and you.

But, more than just not having anything between you and the drone, you must actually be able to see it. For instance, it couldn't legally even be close to 1000m away because then it would be too small to see with the naked eye.
2020-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules