Few questions about FPV goggles
2278 6 2020-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rozhdestvenskiy
lvl.1
United States

Hi fellas,

I don't have goggles yet. I got DJI FPV controller and I'm currently flying in liftoff. I'd like to order my 5" drone with goggles soon. Currently I'm looking at RTF drone which is iFlight Titan DC5. I'm tired or watching reviews and comparisons on Youtube so I think I'll start with that drone and go from there.

I have few questions regarding goggles. I scrolled through Goggles quick start guide and watched numerous videos but I couldn't find such info anywhere.

So here is a list of questions:

1) In the Liftoff simulator you can fly in different modes like acro mode or self-leveling mode etc. Please tell if I can switch modes when flying FPV drone using DJI system (controller, goggles, air unit with camera)? Idk if this question is related to goggles since I'm new to drones.
2) Please tell if there are any on-screen (like HUD in cars) options available when you watch live footage in goggles while flying your drone? I'd like to see some kind of grid with horizon lines so I could better follow the horizon when turning and also I'd like to know the current verticle angle of the drone.
3) I see that both goggles and air unit support the same 2 different latency modes. Please tell if I could record footage in a high quality mode transmitting less quality footage to goggles or should these modes be the same all the time on goggles and on air unit?

Thank you.
2020-8-1
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

1. yes you can switch modes. that setup is done in betaflight when you connect the flight controller to a computer and you can bind a switch on your dji fpv remote to different modes so that you can switch "on the fly" pun intended
2. betaflight is capable of doing this, but currently the dji fpv system does not have the required betaflight osd elements to do this. it may in the future. right now they just have a select few elements that you can bring over from betaflight such as voltage, mAh used, timers, etc.
3. unfortunately you can only record one latency/quality mode at a time. for instance, if you have it set to 16:9 mode it will record that way on both the goggle dvr and the air unit local recording. if you go to high quality mode, you will have to use that to fly as well as record. hopefully that answers your question
2020-8-1
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

1) you can set up a switch in betaflight (the software that runs on the quads flight controller) to switch flight modes between acro/angle/horizon mode
2) (edit) as has been said above the artificial horizon feature in betaflight cant be seen in the goggles
3) the goggles resolution is lower than the air unit recording and the latency of the goggles isn't recorded by the air unit
2020-8-1
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kreeze Posted at 8-1 11:23
1. yes you can switch modes. that setup is done in betaflight when you connect the flight controller to a computer and you can bind a switch on your dji fpv remote to different modes so that you can switch "on the fly" pun intended
2. betaflight is capable of doing this, but currently the dji fpv system does not have the required betaflight osd elements to do this. it may in the future. right now they just have a select few elements that you can bring over from betaflight such as voltage, mAh used, timers, etc.
3. unfortunately you can only record one latency/quality mode at a time. for instance, if you have it set to 16:9 mode it will record that way on both the goggle dvr and the air unit local recording. if you go to high quality mode, you will have to use that to fly as well as record. hopefully that answers your question

i just checked and your correct, the artificial horizon doesn't show, id never added it but noticed everything else id added showed in the goggles. I'm pretty sure the goggles and the air unit record at different resolutions and framerates? i thought the goggles were 720p and the air unit is 1080p 60fps?
2020-8-1
Use props
rozhdestvenskiy
lvl.1
United States

Than you guys! I appreciate your help!! Unfortunately, I've never heard or touched betaflight software. I guess I need to read/watch more about it...
2020-8-1
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rozhdestvenskiy Posted at 8-1 19:09
Than you guys! I appreciate your help!! Unfortunately, I've never heard or touched betaflight software. I guess I need to read/watch more about it...

this channel is a good place to learn from
2020-8-2
Use props
rozhdestvenskiy
lvl.1
United States

Bezik Posted at 8-2 02:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAqgPEW48Tc&list=PLwoDb7WF6c8kH_vLskPnY5xjuT284rhmj

this channel is a good place to learn from

Thank you!! I just bookmarked it to watch a bit later.

I think Joshua Bardwell is doing an amazing job there! I watched few of his videos already mostly about controlling the drone.
2020-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules