Battery swollen - safe to still use?
1061 11 2020-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Mavic Zoom 2 with three batteries.
All three have started to show signs of swelling - they still clip into the drone, but after a flight they shoot out once I release the clips making me concerned that this could happen in-flight. If I strapped it in somehow, do you think it'd be safe (I only fly over water/fields - not over people/buildings)?

Battery 1:
Manufactured 06-Sep-2018
Charged 88 times
Airdata reports 91% battery life, with 50+ minor deviations in cell 4

Battery 2:
Manufactured 06-Sep-2018
Charged 78 times
Airdata reports 92% battery life, with 50+ minor deviations in cell 4

Battery 3:
Manufactured 26-Aug-2018
Charged 83 times
Airdata reports 92% battery life, with 50+ minor deviations in cell 4

Is this really the expected lifetime? Approx 80 flights with each battery and they're toast?!
That's almost £2/$2 per flight per battery ... so £6/$6 every time I've taken the drone out.

I'm now sat wondering what to do. Spend £400 replacing them, or just wait for the Mavic 3 to come out and use the money against that ... and hope those batteries are better.
2020-8-2
Use props
Estelle Lau
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

Don't use the swollen batteries, it is not worth to take the drone into risk, the drone is much expensive than the battery.
2020-8-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What battery % do you fly down to? If its below 30% then your issues would be normal.
2020-8-3
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I always land before the low battery alarm (which I've set to 25%), so I'd estimate 90% of my landings were at 30% or above.

Which .. isn't great, is it? A battery you can only usefully use 70% of.
2020-8-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not worth the risk IMO - buy one new battery and sell the whole lot on Ebay and wait for the M3 - how long that will be nobody knows - could be 2021 - or replace them and safely fly the M2P.
2020-8-3
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yeah, I think that's probably a good plan. Buy one new battery so I've got something good to sell it with when the times comes, and just fly with that for now.
Shame, though. I'd expected them to last better than that.
2020-8-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 8-3 00:28
Yeah, I think that's probably a good plan. Buy one new battery so I've got something good to sell it with when the times comes, and just fly with that for now.
Shame, though. I'd expected them to last better than that.

They should last for a minimum of 200 recharge cycles each when maintained in line with the guidelines. You can try raising a ticket with DJI as they are aware of the problem and may discount the new batteries under the circumstances despite being out of the six month warranty. No harm in trying and I have seen threads on here whereby the batteries have been replaced for free out of warranty - though that will obviously be on a case-by-case basis. Good luck.
2020-8-3
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I raised a ticket on the off-chance that they felt like honoring some kind of replacement or discount, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the help.
2020-8-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mavic2zoom-ch. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again I am sorry and thank you for understanding.
2020-8-3
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for the response. If I'd stored the battery incorrectly, then i'd understand - however I followed the guidelines written by DJI, they were never subjected to moisture, etc - so to find they have a lifetime of 80 flights when using it as directed is pretty disapointing.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 8-3 03:53
I raised a ticket on the off-chance that they felt like honoring some kind of replacement or discount, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the help.

Fingers crossed for you
2020-8-4
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
United Kingdom

To close the loop on this, I've got to hold my hands up and recognise excellent customer service - they agreed to replace all the batteries for me under warranty.
Now I'm wishing I hadn't gone out and bought another new battery just so I could continue flying - but I guess having four is better than three, right? :-)
2020-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules