834 9 2020-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I currently use my Spark from my boat. The Spark only has forward sensors.

Recovery of the drone on a boat is never simply, my cockpit area has a lot of metal (wakeboard towers, hood, aerials).  Therefore the simplest way to recover the spark is to spin in around and reverse in so that the sensors are not alerting and actioning based on the obstructions/people it can see.

I am considering upgrading to a Mavic 2 Air as the picture quality and tracking ability are superior. However I wondered if the all around sensor tech would get in the way of recovery, is there a simple and quick way of turning it off or over-riding the sensors in flight?

The pictures attached show the obstructions, we bring it in to the rear of the boat.

Boat

Boat

Boat2

Boat2
2020-8-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shots.
2020-8-3
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

Move it in sideways, and I think you'll be okay, since there is no sensors on the sides. That's what I do when I land it in the hand.
2020-8-3
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 8-3 07:35
Move it in sideways, and I think you'll be okay, since there is no sensors on the sides. That's what I do when I land it in the hand.

Great, that makes sense, thanks.

Martin
2020-8-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Couple of nice looking shots
2020-8-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shots    
2020-8-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for sharing this nice photo you have captured. With regards to the sensors. As M4cr0s advised at post #2 the DJI Mavic Air 2 does not have side sensors, please be cautious when flying the said drone sideways, for more details about the visions sensors please refer to the image posted below. Just a friendly reminder to please fly with caution above bodies of water this may affect the performance of the bottom sensors due to the reflective nature of the water. Thank you.

2020-8-4
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Spark does have downward facing sensors in addition to forward sensors.
Mavic Air 2 downward facing sensors are more sensitive than Sparks which may cause problems while landing on a moving water craft.

While I never had any issues with catching Spark on a moving canoe, I did have problems with Mavic Air 2 in similar situations.

Please see: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=219782 for more information.

Mirek
2020-8-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am considering upgrading to a Mavic 2 Air a ... , is there a simple and quick way of turning it off or over-riding the sensors in flight?
Eight replies but no-one has answered your question !!
Yes, you can simply disable obstacle avoidance in the app settings.
2020-8-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

2020-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules