Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

What an upgrade! Wow...   

Have you already noticed that you can also set every intermediate level for the zoom factor?

I.e. 1.0,  1.1,  1.2, ...,  1.9,  2.0 etc. pp. (e.g. for 1080 p)
Grab the zoom icon and move it up or down.

Just fantastic!

Thank you, DJI developers ...

2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, cool eh - up to x4 for 1080p@60p and x2 for 2.7K@60p and x2 for 4K@30p in 0.1 increments - it's turned the MA2 into a new drone The new Flight Assistance feature is really cool too. Been flying over hedge lines just inches above them.
2020-8-10
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Perfect. I m ready to test all this new features
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 8-10 06:31
Perfect. I m ready to test all this new features

And the gimbal doesn't drop down in Sport mode now and you can record hyperlapses in 4K in addition to 1080p and 8K - DJI have really gone to town on this update!
2020-8-10
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

All hyperlapse modes have 4k or only some of them?
2020-8-10
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Playing with the zoom this morning.   Want to see my video at 1080P with 4X zoom.  I normally shoot in 4K and want to see the difference.

No zoom with photo?
2020-8-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Akirasho Posted at 8-10 07:12
Playing with the zoom this morning.   Want to see my video at 1080P with 4X zoom.  I normally shoot in 4K and want to see the difference.

No zoom with photo?

Is there no zoom for photos???  Just waking up over here...
2020-8-10
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 07:15

I haven't checked all modes yet.
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 8-10 06:41
All hyperlapse modes have 4k or only some of them?

All of them and they have also updated waypoints too so you can save it and replay the mission at a later date.
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No zoom with photo?

The image quality is no way near as good but it is a fun feature to have - be sure to reduce your sensitivity settings to the slowest when using it - the slightest movements will be clearly noticeable.

4K X2 zoom looks great!
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 07:15

No there isn't mate - just video
2020-8-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-10 08:01
No there isn't mate - just video

Thanks...just have to crop I guess.
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 08:14
Thanks...just have to crop I guess.

Or pause one of your videos and take a frame from that to work with. I think the reason it's not on photos is because when the drone is hovering you can see the movement of the drone which makes the still less stable, especially in X4 zoom.
2020-8-10
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are we talking about a new firmware update or software update?
2020-8-10
Use props
FictitiousPerson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 8-10 08:45
Are we talking about a new firmware update or software update?

Firmware
2020-8-10
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Ah... this is all good news... just tuning in.
2020-8-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

any zoom is good zoom.  major reason why I chose m2z or m2p so it's great to get something in ma2.
2020-8-10
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

So glad I waited for the MA2 instead of grabbing the M2Z...  saved a bundle, and really, the quality is par if not above.    Now, if we could get real waypoints and cinematic mode (or expo controls for the right stick), I'd be completely satisfied.
2020-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Saint Posted at 8-10 09:35
any zoom is good zoom.  major reason why I chose m2z or m2p so it's great to get something in ma2.

any zoom is good zoom.
Except that digital zoom isn't zoom at all.
It's simply cropping.
2020-8-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No zoom with photo?

No zoom with photo?
Don't be fooled by "digital zoom".
It's just cropping which you can do yourself for stils.
2020-8-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-10 08:33
Or pause one of your videos and take a frame from that to work with. I think the reason it's not on photos is because when the drone is hovering you can see the movement of the drone which makes the still less stable, especially in X4 zoom.

A question you can help me with...isn't a single video frame less quality/file size/resolution than a single photo???  
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 10:20
A question you can help me with...isn't a single video frame less quality/file size/resolution than a single photo???

Yes it is mate.
2020-8-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-10 10:22
Yes it is mate.

Thanks...do you know of anyone doing any tests on the loss of quality/sharpness/graininess of the 2X and 4X videos???
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 10:28
Thanks...do you know of anyone doing any tests on the loss of quality/sharpness/graininess of the 2X and 4X videos???

Have not come across anything as yet but note that Digital zoom is not lossless unlike optical so you will lose quality as the image is cropped in but great to have options.  
2020-8-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-10 10:32
Have not come across anything as yet but note that Digital zoom is not lossless unlike optical so you will lose quality as the image is cropped in but great to have options.

Yeah...I'm just thinking 4K at 2X on a desktop monitor or iPad probably isn't going to have much degradation in sharpness/quality.  For the cinematographers, maybe an issue, but for the hobbyist flyer and home videographer, probably not.  What do you think???
2020-8-10
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

Many here bought the Air 2 "as is" months ago.  I did not expect a Zoom of any kind.  I've purchased Digital cameras for their digital zoom (in addition to optical).  Given the losses of digital, I've been happy with the results.  Now that the Air 2 has it, I'm not "gonna kick it out of the bed."

I posted a video last week where I zoomed in post... would have used this feature there!  Options.  I'd rather have a cropped video of the Mother Ship than none at all.
2020-8-10
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Remember that at all but the actual sensor resolution, all video is downsampled anyway to produce the image.

If you have a natively 4K sensor and record 1080p, the image isn't center-cropped, but the 4K image is downsampled to 1080p. If you do a 2x digital zoom, you simply no longer downsample and center-crop the image instead. There is no loss of quality in that case.

The only time there should be degradation is if you use digital zoom past the native sensor resolution.
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-10 10:47
Yeah...I'm just thinking 4K at 2X on a desktop monitor or iPad probably isn't going to have much degradation in sharpness/quality.  For the cinematographers, maybe an issue, but for the hobbyist flyer and home videographer, probably not.  What do you think???

I used it today - makes a noticeable difference and the image quality isn't too compromised. For casual point and shoots its great. The 1080p X4 digital zoom is quite mushy TBH (though I recorded in 60fps and 30p was better) and you can clearly see the lack of stabilisation when hovering. Be sure to reduce your sensitivity settings to as slow as possible for the yaw. Still fun to use as really brings in far away subjects but I'll personally stick to 4K-HDR in most flights (you can't zoom in HDR mode either) but will occasionally use 4K and 2.7K X2 zoom. It's amazing in lower altitude flying over tree tops and hedge lines to reveal subjects behind like buildings.  
2020-8-10
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

It would be nice to get a future DJI Fly update to further dampen the gimbal sensitivity if you're using digital zoom. It could be as simple as adding a checkbox that cuts sensitivity in half when zoomed.
2020-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MisterFrag Posted at 8-10 11:20
It would be nice to get a future DJI Fly update to further dampen the gimbal sensitivity if you're using digital zoom. It could be as simple as adding a checkbox that cuts sensitivity in half when zoomed.

You can get that on Mavic zoom and that’s what you pay for, I think when you go back to orignal Mavic pro which had digital zoom for only 1080p at 2x and cost almost €500 more thanAir2 you’ll realize how lucky we are to have gotten this update. Digital zoom on phones is not that great .
2020-8-10
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

MisterFrag Posted at 8-10 11:20

Great suggestion, and whilst they are are at it, give us some expo on the right stick too.
2020-8-10
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-10 10:07
any zoom is good zoom.
Except that digital zoom isn't zoom at all.
It's simply cropping.

Finally, someone who is the voice of reason.
2020-8-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-10 10:09
No zoom with photo?
Don't be fooled by "digital zoom".
It's just cropping which you can do yourself for stils.

sure.  sometimes I like to be able to see closer while flying without having to fly in so tight.  understood this feature is not useful to everyone.  I'm not a big post guy anyway.
2020-8-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Frank. Thank you for reaching out and for the positive feedback you have given DJI on its new firmware update for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Rest assured that DJI will continuously give out more user-friendly and reliable updates in the future. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-8-10
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131204 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-10 21:22
Hello there Frank. Thank you for reaching out and for the positive feedback you have given DJI on its new firmware update for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Rest assured that DJI will continuously give out more user-friendly and reliable updates in the future. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

@Dji Stephen - may I have one suggestion / improvement please?

Now that we have this fine zoom in increments of x0.1 can you make it available also on the gimbal control (wheel). To have the ability to zoom in / out during the automated modes (circle, boomerang etc) where the camera keeps the focus on the subject, that will give the videographers a whole new dimension to work with. I guess it is possible even now by touching the screen with your finger but is not convenient and could move the focus from the subject. Just an idea.
2020-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’ve just discovered best way to achieve zoom while flying.

Hold down function button and use scroll wheel to zoom it’s pretty easy and smooth to do .
2020-8-11
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Just remember, there is a huge difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.
Optical zoom uses the lens optical elements to actually zoom in.
Digital zoom only "crops and enlarges" the image. Noise and artifacts to follow.....
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Paultbg Posted at 8-11 01:42
@Dji Stephen - may I have one suggestion / improvement please?

Now that we have this fine zoom in increments of x0.1 can you make it available also on the gimbal control (wheel). To have the ability to zoom in / out during the automated modes (circle, boomerang etc) where the camera keeps the focus on the subject, that will give the videographers a whole new dimension to work with. I guess it is possible even now by touching the screen with your finger but is not convenient and could move the focus from the subject. Just an idea.

Hello there Paultbg. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules