Battery error: 30068
1190 10 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

Spent my $1200, waited 6 weeks for Mavic Air 2 to finally arrive in South Africa. All 3 batteries give this *&#&# error. Wiped contacts on batteries and drone. Still an error. Checked contacts visually, and I really can't see how they could not be making contact. So, what now, 6 weeks back to the US (at my cost), 6 weeks back to South Africa again? Seems like a software error to me. A VERY unhappy 1st time DJI owner.
2020-8-11
Use props
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

Is there any way around this error (the battery is inserted properly and can't come out)? Or just return the drone and play the lottery hoping that the new one I get 12 weeks later doesn't have the same (seemingly common) problem?
2020-8-11
Use props
[ p a k a l ]
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57608 ft
Luxembourg

Check this ... https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556
2020-8-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup. Charge each battery separately. If that doesn't activate the batteries, try putting a battery in the MA2, turn it on for 3 minutes, then remove it from the MA2 after turning it off, let it set for at least 3 minutes and then try charging it. Do each battery one at a time and do not use the charging hub for the first charge. This is in a pinned post by DJI at the top of the forum as well.
2020-8-11
Use props
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

Thanks, they do charge and the drone does turn on. The issue is that it thinks the battery is not inserted properly, which has to do with the clips on the side of the batteries closing the connectors in the battery bay. I'm pretty certain this is happening mechanically, because I can't see how it couldn't be. I've read the multiple forum posts with this error and have done the "wipe the connectors with a dry paper towel" advice given by DJI support staff. The kit I bought came with 3 batteries, and they all do this, so I have to assume the problem is with the drone. It's brand new, received today, and there is no corrosion on the contacts.
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ian. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. In order to ensure that the battery has been installed correctly during use, DJI Innovations has a detection device for the battery installed in place in the battery compartment. If you encounter this prompt '30068' during use, please first check whether the battery is installed and the buckle is in place; then please try to wipe the metal paddles on the battery and the paddles in the battery compartment with a dry paper towel. If the problem still exists, it is recommended to contact our support team at http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it in for service. We'll do the best to help this out. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-8-11
Use props
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 20:02
Hello there Ian. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. In order to ensure that the battery has been installed correctly during use, DJI Innovations has a detection device for the battery installed in place in the battery compartment. If you encounter this prompt '30068' during use, please first check whether the battery is installed and the buckle is in place; then please try to wipe the metal paddles on the battery and the paddles in the battery compartment with a dry paper towel. If the problem still exists, it is recommended to contact our support team at http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send it in for service. We'll do the best to help this out. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

So, it seems as if it is definitely a software error of some kind. I charged all 3 batteries up and the remote and left them (disconnected from anything) overnight. This morning the first battery I tried worked fine, so it's obviously not anything to do with the clip or contacts, but rather some "first use" bug in the battery or drone software.

I think everyone would be served better if DJI actually tried to track this issue down rather than sending platitudes. There is no way a brand new drone would have corroded contacts, so it's probably better not to keep recommending "wiping with a paper towel". As I said in my message "sending it in" is a last resort for me due to the 6-12 week turnaround time.
2020-8-11
Use props
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

So, it seems as if it is a battery software issue. Yesterday when I received the drone, all 3 batteries would give the error even though on inspection there was nothing wrong with the battery mounting, clips or contacts. I left one battery in the drone overnight (turned off), and now that battery never gives the error, while the other 2 always do. To test this theory, I will leave another battery in the drone for several hours to see if it also becomes magically 'fixed'.  Fortunately it's windy and raining today, so the drone's maiden (outdoor) voyage can wait.

I'm a software engineer, so am not new to the concept of analyzing faults analytically. Clearly this issue has nothing to do with the physical mounting of the battery or the electrical contacts used to verify it has been mounted correctly.
2020-8-12
Use props
Ian from Africa
lvl.1

South Africa

After all that, I did eventually solve the issue. It's not software, but the clips on the batteries. I assume it's only an issue with new batteries. The issue is friction on the plastic tabs you press to release the battery. On a new battery, they seem to stick slightly on release. If you have this issue, press and release the tabs a few times with the battery in the drone and the drone turned on. After a few presses, you should see the battery error disappear. If not, press the plastic on the battery underneath the tab, which will release the friction and allow the contacts to touch. There are very fine tolerances at play, probably 0.5mm. Problem solved, now just need to wait for it to stop raining so I can fly the thing!
2020-8-12
Use props
Dwight Hewitt
New

Jamaica

Buy myself a mavic air 2 and its the same problem never got it to fly i even had to buy a new phone to work i am upset with dji
2021-12-16
Use props
Dwight Hewitt
New

Jamaica

brand new drone that cost me so much money and it cant fly
2021-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules