Urgent! Need help with my Mavic Air 2 controller!
7715 30 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirRandy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1216683 ft
United States

Hello, I'm at loss for words right now, as I had bought my fly more combo from DJI directly for use on my vacation that is next week, I received it yesterday and took it out to fly after charging the batteries to full, and when coming back inside to charge the remote, it wouldn't charge, it just blinked six times exactly like it was charging then stoped, I tried using DJI assistant to refresh the firmware but that did nothing, I also tried a bunch of different USB cables and power outlets and plugs, none of them worked, I left it on the charger for 12 hours last night and nothing also. DJI support is a joke, they just told me to send the wholeeee drone package back to replace a faulty remote and it'll take 8-10 days and possibly weeks I was told! I can't do that if I wanted to take it on vacation with me, my one option left is to buy one from eBay and have it arrive where I'm going which would be 140 dollars, but I don't know if DJI would even refund me that money if I send the faulty one back to them. Any advice on how to reset the controller manually or how to fix this problem, or what the 6 blinks stand for if it's like a diagnostics code would all be helpful, I attached a video of the plugging and blinking. ANY advice at all is greatly appreciated, as I'm kinda furious right now, because why buy a new product if it's going to be faulty! Thanks, everyone in advance!

2020-8-11
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

(Never mind, just watched the video)
2020-8-11
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-11 10:59
(Never mind, just watched the video)

Sorry just finished uploading
2020-8-11
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Did you charge the remote fully before?
2020-8-11
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

him7403 Posted at 8-11 17:56
Did you charge the remote fully before?

Yes, i did
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AirRandy. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try charging the said remote controller for 2 hours to isolate the issue. If issue still persists, I would recommended for you to contact our DJI Support Team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a professional team that will do there best to check your DJI Mavic Air 2 remote controller and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-8-11
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi AirRandy,
I see that you have Batteries all plugged in at the same Time.

The video doenst show if Batteries are charging at the same time or not, I'm not suggesting that this is the problem, But DJI from previous drones has always suggested not to charge remote at the same time.

Either way, I'm assuming the Remote charger lead is connected to the Supplied charger via the USB port, If this is the case if batteries are fully charged charger may have dropped into trickle charge and not supplying enough current to continue to charge the remote.

I suggest to try to charge remote without batteries connected to charger.  You could also try turning remote on, and then try charging it.
Battery may have also been too warm, and its therefore stopping charging until battery temp normalizes.

Plucking at straws but would be worth checking prior to sending back....

2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 20:10
Hello there AirRandy. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try charging the said remote controller for 2 hours to isolate the issue. If issue still persists, I would recommended for you to contact our DJI Support Team at  https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a professional team that will do there best to check your DJI Mavic Air 2 remote controller and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.

I already did both of those, inlet it charge for 12 hours, like I said and I also contacted support and they were if no help, as I would rather fix the issue then send it back for 8-10 days
2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

AdZaM Posted at 8-12 02:22
Hi AirRandy,

Thanks but I kinda used that just as an example, I tried on many other USB ports besides that one
2020-8-12
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

AirRandy Posted at 8-12 03:31
Thanks but I kinda used that just as an example, I tried on many other USB ports besides that one

We're all here trying to get your RC back functional for your trip.  Sorry to state the obvious, but...you are using the USB-C cord, right???  The plug looks like an oval racetrack.  Not the flat one side and curved the other plug as in the USB micro.
2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-12 05:00
We're all here trying to get your RC back functional for your trip.  Sorry to state the obvious, but...you are using the USB-C cord, right???  The plug looks like an oval racetrack.  Not the flat one side and curved the other plug as in the USB micro.

Yup, the one that was included in box and an Anker one, both charge my phone.
2020-8-12
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

AirRandy Posted at 8-12 03:31
Thanks but I kinda used that just as an example, I tried on many other USB ports besides that one

Did you try to charge with the controller turned on ?

Turn Remote on, Then try to charge it. (While its still on)
2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

AdZaM Posted at 8-12 14:44
Did you try to charge with the controller turned on ?

Turn Remote on, Then try to charge it. (While its still on)

I'll try that right now, thanks for the advice hope it works
2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

AdZaM Posted at 8-12 14:44
Did you try to charge with the controller turned on ?

Turn Remote on, Then try to charge it. (While its still on)

I tried, the controller just has now completly died, no charge was given
2020-8-12
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

AirRandy Posted at 8-12 17:24
I tried, the controller just has now completly died, no charge was given

Did you ever try to charge it off anything other than the power adapter it came with??? Just in case the 5v power port on the DJI adapter was bad.
2020-8-12
Use props
AirRandy
lvl.1
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-12 21:38
Did you ever try to charge it off anything other than the power adapter it came with??? Just in case the 5v power port on the DJI adapter was bad.

Yes, and just to check that they would work, all the chargers/and cables charged my phone but not my remote
2020-8-13
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Hi AirRandy,

That simply is not true, the hub is quite capable of charging the drone's batteries & the RC at the same time, I do it that way all the time (as I did with my MA before)
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Hi AirRandy,

I'm not sure there is a trickle charge feature either.  The whole idea of after one day the battery discharges down to 96% is to prevent swelling.  Why would at fully charged 100% the smart battery even accept a trickle charge???
2020-8-13
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 8-13 06:05
That simply is not true, the hub is quite capable of charging the drone's batteries & the RC at the same time, I do it that way all the time (as I did with my MA before)

The battery hub doesn't charge the remote, However I appreciate what you are suggesting. The Question in regards to charging Remote and Batteries at the same time has been asked many times on DJI Forums and others,  I recall many times it has been suggested or recommended not to charge at the same time by a DJI Admin.

See below post,  as one example

https://forum.dji.com/thread-114117-1-1.html

To my knowledge DJI has not confirmed that it is either safe or advised to charge both at the same time and there are reason for that. 47.22w would be required to charge at full rate Battery and remote at same time. The chargers maximum is 38w

Note: I often charge my batteries & remotes at the same time too, and also have not had any issues. I only suggested that DJI has suggested / advise against it.

From the video, we cannot see if a battery is charging or not, Therefore it could be at the start of the cycle where the current draw from the charger to that battery maybe 2.82A, Therefore not able to keep remote charging.

The Total output of the charger is 38w, @13.2v the hub will consume 37.22w

Therefore, There may not have been enough current remaining to continue to keep controller charging and therefore it shuts off.

I would assume that the charger can balance the load and charge both slower, However I was just trying to suggest that it may be worth a try to charge separately.

The video also shows that the remote does start to charge, it flashes 6 times then stops.  Why ?  My thought process was to advise to try charge the remote separately.  

Not once did I suggest remote and batteries couldn't be charged at the same time, As I stated earlier. I do it. But only when I'm close and wouldn't leave it unattended when doing so.

2020-8-14
Use props
AdZaM
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 08:05
I'm not sure there is a trickle charge feature either.  The whole idea of after one day the battery discharges down to 96% is to prevent swelling.  Why would at fully charged 100% the smart battery even accept a trickle charge???

Hi Rustic17,

I agree re:Trickle charge.  The paragraph that I used in an attempt to explain was poorly written, I was trying to explain that there may not have been enough current to keep controller charging. I should not have used trickle charge to explain.  A lipo charger does not trickle charge,

As I have tried to explain above, The remotes appears to start the charging cycle, then stops.  I have seen my own Lipo batteries for other remote control batteries do similar things, Can be Low current supply, or temp related. I was just trying to backup why I was suggesting to try charge remote separately.

My intent was to try to assist the op as the suggestions I made would be what I would have tried prior to sending back, Specifically as he was willing to try something different so that he could take his new beloved toy with him on holidays.

Mad scientist out......

Definition of Mad Scientist : Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

2020-8-14
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

AdZaM Posted at 8-14 02:59
The battery hub doesn't charge the remote, However I appreciate what you are suggesting. The Question in regards to charging Remote and Batteries at the same time has been asked many times on DJI Forums and others,  I recall many times it has been suggested or recommended not to charge at the same time by a DJI Admin.

See below post,  as one example

Your referenced link is not relevant, it has nothing to do with the MA2.  The charger and batteries are completely different. Also, there is no warning in the DJI literature to not charge both drone & RC at the same time.  Obviously monitoring the charger temperature would be a good thing, but that goes for all battery chargers, regardless of their use.
2020-8-15
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I saw a video from Adlryn from flytpath (YouTube) where he was doing an unboxing and it showed him and also specifically said you can charge the battery and controller at the same time. Now that isn’t saying that is DJI’s official stance, but Aldryn seems to be pretty tight with DJI so I would consider him in the know if anyone is.
2020-8-15
Use props
djiuser_XFEIHmzq5OGx
lvl.1

Bangladesh

When i flying my air 2, the controller suddenly stopped working and its not turning on also not charging please give me a solution about ths
2021-9-19
Use props
JulietBravo13
New
Philippines

djiuser_XFEIHmzq5OGx Posted at 9-19 12:47
When i flying my air 2, the controller suddenly stopped working and its not turning on also not charging please give me a solution about ths

hi there...i got the same problem also just right now.....any solution about this problem
2021-12-11
Use props
djiuser_XKanNShiZuOQ
New

Nepal

My mavic air 2 remote turned off while drone was in mid air..luckily drone returned back and I could catch it..but the remote control is not charging nor turning on..i was amazed why it happened?? Any solutions for Rc??hello
2021-12-21
Use props
djiuser_XKanNShiZuOQ
New

Nepal

djiuser_XFEIHmzq5OGx Posted at 9-19 12:47
When i flying my air 2, the controller suddenly stopped working and its not turning on also not charging please give me a solution about ths

Same here..same problem..i need solutions
2021-12-21
Use props
Dong ZeYuan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57060 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2021-12-21
Use props
AvroTrain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375318 ft
  • >>>
United States

Video Unavailable
2021-12-22
Use props
djiuser_gGnvSmhzSBCP
New
Flight distance : 947530 ft
India

I bought my air2 from NewDelhi 3 months ago. I hv used Telo drone before this but this was my first pro Drone and i was handling it with very carefully. But the remote control has stopped turning on and is not charging also….
Please help me in this regard if anyone hav solution for this….
2022-8-11
Use props
Robert Urawa
New

Italy

Hello. I got the same problem in 2023. Did you guys find the solution yet?
2023-7-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Robert Urawa Posted at 7-2 14:36
Hello. I got the same problem in 2023. Did you guys find the solution yet?

Hi, Robert Urawa. Sorry for the delayed reply. Can you please check whether the battery level has reached 100% (All four bars of the battery level indicator are on)? Make sure the charging cable is plugged in tightly. Also, check the LED on the remote controller and confirm if it is in the charging state. If yes, please try charging it for 2 hours to see if the power increases. If it still cannot charge, Try to replace the charger and charging cable. If the charging continues to fail, please send us a video showing the issue. You can upload your video to Google Drive and send the link here. I will wait for your reply. Thank you.
2023-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules