Where Did APAS Go?
3893 26 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Where did APAS go? That's the question I had after the FW V01.00.0340 update as I no longer had these APAS controls after the update.
APAS-SafetyAssist-01.jpg

The FW release notes had this as one of the additions:
APAS-SafetyAssist-02.jpg
with no mention that this "Safety Flight Mode" is replacing/enhancing APAS controls.
After the update we have what I assume is the rebranded APAS called "Safety Aisstance".
APAS-SafetyAssist-03.jpg
And now we have the ability to customize how it functions by limiting lateral motions and action to take when encountering an obstacle.

Am I interpretating these changes correctly?

2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

APAS is now Bypass - flight assistance simply disables sideways movement of the drone. You can leave sideways movement enabled and still have Bypass functioning in Normal flight mode.
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. As AJ advised at post #2 the APAS has been improved and is now Bypass under the Obstacle Avoidance Action settings. If you have further concern or inquiry regarding the DJI Mavic Air 2, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-8-12
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

@A J  @DJI Paladin  Thanks for clearing this up. I also did an additional test on retaining the settings when switching between flight modes. I had read a post from a user stating when he switched from Normal to Tripod and back to Normal the Obstacle Avoidance mode was not reatained (went from Bypass to Brake). When I tested for this I found this was not the case, whatever mode obstacle avodance was in before going to Tripod or Sport mode was retained when switched back to Normal flight mode.
I made an Safety Assistance indicator sheet, please let me know if any changes should be made. Hopefully something like this will be added to the new Fly app User Manual.
SafetyAssistanceIndicator.jpg
2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 8-13 07:12
@A J  @DJI Paladin  Thanks for clearing this up. I also did an additional test on retaining the settings when switching between flight modes. I had read a post from a user stating when he switched from Normal to Tripod and back to Normal the Obstacle Avoidance mode was not reatained (went from Bypass to Brake). When I tested for this I found this was not the case, whatever mode obstacle avodance was in before going to Tripod or Sport mode was retained when switched back to Normal flight mode.
I made an Safety Assistance indicator sheet, please let me know if any changes should be made. Hopefully something like this will be added to the new Fly app User Manual.
[view_image]

Thanks for putting that together and sharing it - good work. I'll keep this for future ref for myself.
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

@A J  @DJI Paladin  Thanks for clearing this up. I also did an additional test on retaining the settings when switching between flight modes. I had read a post from a user stating when he switched from Normal to Tripod and back to Normal the Obstacle Avoidance mode was not reatained (went from Bypass to Brake). When I tested for this I found this was not the case, whatever mode obstacle avodance was in before going to Tripod or Sport mode was retained when switched back to Normal flight mode.
[view_image]

Yes...thanks!!!  Do you have any other indicator groupings like this???  I've seen the Poor Signal one (mobile device GPS poor, RC to drone lost signal, etc)
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

A semi related question, does disabling OA in Normal mode affect top speed at all?
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

[view_image]

In the second picture, what does it mean when the outer ring alternates green and white???  I see this at startup (maybe sensing an obstacle?) but once airborne and up it's steady green.
2020-8-13
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 07:42
Yes...thanks!!!  Do you have any other indicator groupings like this???  I've seen the Poor Signal one (mobile device GPS poor, RC to drone lost signal, etc)

Nope, this and the Aircraft Orientation is all I have at the moment. The AO one I can't take credit for as I got that one from someone else.
Aircraft Orientation Indicator Status (cedit belongs to another poster)
AircraftOrientationIndicatorWarnings.png
2020-8-13
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 07:59
In the second picture, what does it mean when the outer ring alternates green and white???  I see this at startup (maybe sensing an obstacle?) but once airborne and up it's steady green.

Could be the mode hasn't been set and once the aircraft is airborne, it is then set. An interesting test would be to see if the setting is remembered between power down and power up for both Fly app and aircraft.
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 8-13 08:03
Nope, this and the Aircraft Orientation is all I have at the moment. The AO one I can't take credit for as I got that one from someone else.
Aircraft Orientation Indicator Status (cedit belongs to another poster)
[view_image]

With every DJI drone I've had I asked the moderator to pass on a request for all the alerts, messages and indications that can pop up...what the meaning is and what triggers it...what we can do to try and resolve the issue.   So far NADA!!!  It would be a handy PDF to carry around.  Also, why do we have to wait for a new manual revision (which might take forever) to find out that you can Zoom using the function button and gimbal scroll/control???  The firmware/app changes should come with a PDF with all the new features that we can download at the Support site.  I think I'll start a new thread.

2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 07:49
A semi related question, does disabling OA in Normal mode affect top speed at all?

No mate - I still get around 26MPH whether enabled or not.
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

A J Posted at 8-13 10:01
No mate - I still get around 26MPH whether enabled or not.

Thanks, was comparing to my Spark, turning off OA in normal mode nearly doubles its speed....  But the Air2 is fast in normal anyway, so no concerns.
2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 10:07
Thanks, was comparing to my Spark, turning off OA in normal mode nearly doubles its speed....  But the Air2 is fast in normal anyway, so no concerns.

Quite a few of the drones dropped speed with OA on - but not this one.
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

A J Posted at 8-13 10:11
Quite a few of the drones dropped speed with OA on - but not this one.

Ya, I must admit when I first flew the Mavic Air 2 coming from the Spark, I was floored at the speed in Normal mode.... just a tad slower than the Spark in sport mode.  

<ooh, I just made Captain... lol>

2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 10:28
Ya, I must admit when I first flew the Mavic Air 2 coming from the Spark, I was floored at the speed in Normal mode.... just a tad slower than the Spark in sport mode.

Then put it in Sport mode with a fresh breeze carrying it at 300-400' AGL in full pitch - I've hit 43.3MPH.
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

A J Posted at 8-13 10:30
Then put it in Sport mode with a fresh breeze carrying it at 300-400' AGL in full pitch - I've hit 43.3MPH.

I am working up my trust level on that currently.
2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 10:54
I am working up my trust level on that currently.

It's fine mate - just put it a couple of hundred feet up and ensure nothing is around the drone or in it's flight path. Great fun to use and the new update now stops the gimbal from dropping down when using it.
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Northwood Posted at 8-13 10:28

Congrats on Captain...
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 12:11
Congrats on Captain...

Thanks
2020-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

A J Posted at 8-13 11:48
It's fine mate - just put it a couple of hundred feet up and ensure nothing is around the drone or in it's flight path. Great fun to use and the new update now stops from the gimbal from dropping down when using it.

Roger that.  Cheers
2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 15:45
Roger that.  Cheers

Enjoy
2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-13 15:45
Roger that.  Cheers

And congrats on making Captain. That's it now - unfortunately the ranks don't get any higher.
2020-8-15
Use props
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 669442 ft
Greece

[view_image]

I am the one that said Switching from Normal to Tripod back to Normal, the setting does not go back to Bypass.
But stays to Brake because of Tripod mode.
If I switch Normal to Sport back to Normal then Bypass stays on.
Try the Normal -> Tripod  -> Normal and see if Bypass is on.
2020-8-15
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
United States

Zakkorn Posted at 8-15 14:10
I am the one that said Switching from Normal to Tripod back to Normal, the setting does not go back to Bypass.
But stays to Brake because of Tripod mode.
If I switch Normal to Sport back to Normal then Bypass stays on.

I did this test a couple of days ago Normal (green indication) => Tripod (white indication) => Normal (green indication and "Disable sideways flight" is still enabled). If this is the test you are looking for, then obviously we did not come to the same results.
And this folks is one of many reasons why I screen record every flight, it's nice to be able to go back and review actions taken and results.
Please note the white dot you momentarlily see indicates when and where I touch the screen.

2020-8-15
Use props
TerminalVelocity
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6248064 ft
  • >>>
United States

[view_image]

This is a great and have downloaded it to my cell phone for ready reference.  Many thanks for sharing.
2020-8-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pappy3 Posted at 8-15 17:45
I did this test a couple of days ago Normal (green indication) => Tripod (white indication) => Normal (green indication and "Disable sideways flight" is still enabled). If this is the test you are looking for, then obviously we did not come to the same results.
And this folks is one of many reasons why I screen record every flight, it's nice to be able to go back and review actions taken and results.
Please note the white dot you momentarlily see indicates when and where I touch the screen.

Agree, always fly with a screen recorder active!
2020-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules