Follow Mode, Gimbal pan - weird behavior as aircraft rotated 90 degree on its...
1346 6 2015-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
Singapore

Pre-flight checks were all ok. Sensor mod values were all well within range.
I took off, gimbal in follow-mode, and headed forward, pitch forward, elevated throttle, Inspire bee-lining in a straight acscending line.

Perfect. Since it had a long way to go, I then decided to keep controls as above and proceeded to pan the camera/gimal counter-clockwise, so i can view buildings on the left.

For some reason, even though my control sticks continued to be forward pitch, increasing altitude, no roll, no aircraft yaw, the Inspire aircraft turned right as i panned the camera gimbal counter-clockwise. (video link below)

I don't think this is expected? I tried this maneuver in the simulator and the Inspire tracked on straight even as i panned the camera/gimal in any direction...

I have attached the DJI flight replay, including the stick control movements.

Rest of flight was perfectly ok(although i didn't try this maneuver again), except for this weird auto 90 degree right hand turn.

I don' think this is the expected behavior of the Inspire in Follow Mode? or am i wrong?
What is going on?

2015-6-21
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I never used it this way ... but thinking about it, it actually makes sense.
If I am not mistaking the camera is supposed to follow the nose of the bird in follow mode ... but when you do it this way, the nose of the bird is following the camera ...
But reading your explanation again ... if I understand you correctly ... the bird is actually turning the wrong way and the camera is still facing "forward" ?
In that case it isn´t very logic ...

Did you try using "free mode" ?  
2015-6-21
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Thought you were only allowed 61m asl in Singapore (by law),? Did you have an exemption under ANO?
2015-6-21
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Nope, never seen this issue.  

Hum...interesting flight stars, distance and height, and looks to be in built up area?  Does Singapore not have fairly harsh guidelines on this?
2015-6-21
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

the more i think about it, the more it doesn't make any sense...
So, as the Inspire travels and maintains its forward flight, with gimbal in "follow" mode, one can toggle the C1/C2 switch to change the gimbal dial from default "pitch" to "yaw", and proceed to pan the camera/gimbal using the dial, which will inevitably change the flight direction of the Inspire? In other words, the gimbal dial can be used to control the flight direction of the Inspire?

Does that also mean that in Dual controller mode, if the Inspire is in Follow mode, and the second operator pans the camera/gimbal, he can change the flight direction of the Inspire without the Master controller's input?
2015-6-21
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

frank320 Posted at 2015-6-21 22:32
the more i think about it, the more it doesn't make any sense...
So, as the Inspire travels and mai ...

According to what you said ... Yes ...
But hopefully not ... ;)
2015-6-21
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

Well, i tried to re-create this behavior today and the Inspire flew perfectly and did not rotate on its own as i panned the gimbal/camera using the customized C1/C2 gimbal dial.
The Inspire tracked straight and true as i swung and yawed the gimbal all over the place. In short, the Inspire and gimbal performed as i would have expected it to in Follow mode, instead of the weird documented behavior above.

The good news is that the Inspire is performing as expected and not doing anything unexpected or funky.
The bad news is that i have no idea what happened above, and if/when the behavior might appear again.
2015-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules