Active Track Crash
1377 17 2020-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

I know, pilot error. But I like to kow why my Mavic 2 Zoom didn't saw that big tree.

Here's the crash:

Here are the log files:
Flightlog
2020-8-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Your MP2 started to brake, but too late to stop before the tree.
see the speed and pitch data in the chart.  (U = up pitch, D = down picth)

But why did it not fly around that tree? instead of braking ?

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2020-8-17
Use props
XXXXDronerXXXXX
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

not Skydio.
2020-8-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch! Hope not too much damage.
2020-8-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I know, I'm a terrible person ... Why I couldn't control myself and laughed, seeing the drone ramming the trunk at the end of suicidal flight? I think I need professional help ...
2020-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TrippleDelta. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Since there was a crash that happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best check what really happened on that flight and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.
2020-8-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

JJB* Posted at 8-17 11:04
Hiya,

Your MP2 started to brake, but too late to stop before the tree.

I know but I was too focused on the mountain bike and saw too late that it was going wrong.
2020-8-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

Woe Posted at 8-17 15:04
Ouch! Hope not too much damage.

I was lucky. Only the left propeller was broken. I was able to fly for the rest of the day and still had a lot of fun.
2020-8-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 8-17 15:18
I know, I'm a terrible person ... Why I couldn't control myself and laughed, seeing the drone ramming the trunk at the end of suicidal flight? I think I need professional help ...

I understand you completely. It is a nice crash.
2020-8-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-17 13:54
Because it's a computer trying to convert optical pixels into a 3D image of the world.  The computer was seeing all these light colored vertical sticks interspersed against a comparatively dark background.   It appears to have misinterpreted the light tree trunk as the way through.

It's a situation where you expected too much from the technology.   You can't fly through the forest with Activetrack or APAS.  I guess you can, just be prepared for failure.

This was not the first flight that day. The Mavic always flew beautifully among the trees. Probably got a little overconfident.
Fortunately, the damage was not too bad and we still had a lot of fun for the rest of the day.
2020-8-17
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-17 22:02
Hello there TrippleDelta. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Since there was a crash that happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best check what really happened on that flight and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.

Thanks for the advice. Apparently the speed of the Mavic was too fast to avoid the tree and I should have intervened more quickly. Fortunately, the damage was not too bad.
2020-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TrippleDelta Posted at 8-17 22:21
I was lucky. Only the left propeller was broken. I was able to fly for the rest of the day and still had a lot of fun.

I hope you weren't flying on a broken prop?
2020-8-18
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Belgium

DAFlys Posted at 8-18 01:09
I hope you weren't flying on a broken prop?

1 of the 3 fixings had broken off and blocked the engine.
As soon as this was removed I could fly again with a new propeller.
2020-8-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TrippleDelta Posted at 8-18 01:13
1 of the 3 fixings had broken off and blocked the engine.
As soon as this was removed I could fly again with a new propeller.

2020-8-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

TrippleDelta Posted at 8-17 22:21
I was lucky. Only the left propeller was broken. I was able to fly for the rest of the day and still had a lot of fun.

Good to hear
2020-8-18
Use props
DrohneSG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

You have  expected too much from Active track. Accident prone flying.

Here an example of dynamic filming (you never get that with a mavic): done with an FPV drone (besides 360 and conventional cam), a professional driver and a skilled FPV Pilot, and guess what: a crash at the end anyway (the only one shown to us)

2020-8-19
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant, Skill and Balls.
2020-8-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TrippleDelta Posted at 8-17 22:28
Thanks for the advice. Apparently the speed of the Mavic was too fast to avoid the tree and I should have intervened more quickly. Fortunately, the damage was not too bad.

Hi there TrippleDelta. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you feel that the said drone is not preforming well on your future flights. Kindly please contact our DJI support team for further assistance and for us to be able to check the said drone thoroughly for damages. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules