Why is my panning choppy with the Osmo Pocket (with gif)
783 1 2020-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XY Plane
lvl.2
United States

So what I want to do with the Osmo Pocket is walk and record with it. Right now my settings are Tilt Lock and Slow Follow. I like to hold the Osmo Pocket at about a 45 Deg angle. When I allow my hand to move in the same direction as I am facing, the pan is kind of like many small choppy motions, rather than one fluid A to B movement. I have an gif in this imgur of what I am talking about. I hope it works.
https://imgur.com/a/JoJ1FxF
https://youtu.be/en0x5UPeAgk

This is an excerpt of a test I did earlier just walking around and we start in the middle of the video. Basically I'm trying to aim at the door and the gimbal makes four small panning movements before it settles. Then I aim at the other door and the gimbal makes a couple small movements before settling. I've seen people make videos like these and a couple have gotten their pan to be smooth, making it one motion instead of multiple choppy movements. I've seen others with this choppy pan as well.

Is there a secret setting I'm missing out on?

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
2020-8-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I don't think the pan is choppy but rather the unit is de-focusing during the pan because it has nothing to lock on to during the sideways movement as the unit will be using contrast detection as a means of focusing and can possibly only measure such changes in the vertical. Horizontal measurement becomes almost impossible as sharp defined verticals get wider during the exposure time of each frame. You will suffer that less using single focus rather than using constant focus but you should choose your initial focus point with care. There are downsides to using either method.  Sometimes one method is better to use over another. It can be scene and location dependent.

Ray.
2020-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules