My "Co-Piot" went silent today
284 7 2020-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Good morning!

I took my MA2 out for its 5th set of flights this morning, but for some reason, my co-pilot was silent. I am using an iPhone X, I double checked that I was in Do Not Disturb mode, that my phone wasn't accidentally silenced (very easy to do-I have to remove it from its case so it will fit the controller), double checked privacy settings, and my volume was set up to max high, etc.  She just isn't telling me my home spot is recorded, check your map or you have reached maximum altitude, etc. I find having a co-pilot a great feature....I just want her back :-)
I am somewhat flummoxed at this time, and could use a suggestion or two to get my co-pilot back in her seat and talkig to me.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!

2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Since there's no way to turn off the audio messages, all anyone can suggest is turn the volume up.
Occasionally the app will be busy and won't be able to play the message.
Watch the app for notification that you are in GPS mode even if you don't hear the notification.
2020-8-20
Use props
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the reply, Labroides!

I've gone through about everything on my iPhone and inside the app and cannot find anything to 'turn on' or 'turn off' the audio messages of the app.

I have to remove my phone from its case in order for it to properly fit onto the controller. The volume switch does come into contact with one of the controllers' 'knobs' that stabilize the phone, so now I just slide the phone a tad to the right so that does not occur.

I may just delete the app and re-install it. I cannot think of anything else to do. If I do that, I'll let you know just in case this happens to someone else.
2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SR 71 Posted at 8-20 05:40
Thanks for the reply, Labroides!

I've gone through about everything on my iPhone and inside the app and cannot find anything to 'turn on' or 'turn off' the audio messages of the app.

I may just delete the app and re-install it.
Don't waste your effort as that won't make any difference.
If your volume is definitely up, it's probably just that the app had a few things happeneing.
You don't need the audio msg if you get confirmation in the app anyway.

2020-8-20
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Uninstalling and reinstalling can't hurt. Make sure you clear all the old cache files.
Me? I also delete the whole DJI folder after uninstalling the app.
Then re-install your version of choice, and hope "she" comes back.
Odds are, she will...

I too find some level of "psycological comfort" in hearing that also.
2020-8-20
Use props
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

The problem is solved!

Apparently, it is not a good idea to put your phone into the DO NOT DISTURB mode before you open the DJI Fly app. If you do this, like I did, your co-pilot is silenced.

If you put your phone into the do not disturb mode AFTER opening the DJI Fly app, then magically, your co-pilot is now active and talking to you.

Flycaster, since I also like the 'psychological comfort' of my hearing my co-pilot, I am glad to have her back.  Although I am not new to flying RC (over 20 years of planes, helicopters and arena blimps), these quads are very new to me and the last thing I want to do is 'have an incident'. ;-)
2020-8-20
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

There ya go! all set like it was...
There are a couple of things one should do to help minimize "incidents":
Always make sure no ferrous metals around when booting up your kit, Rebar in concrete etc...
I always check my sensor states before and after lift off. Check your compasses, and IMU states, All green? Great.
Then lift off, climb to maybe 10/15 feet, and then recheck your sensor states, (all green again, no changes?) and make sure the AC is responding to your command inputs as expected,
And if all is good, off you go.....
Takes less than 2 minutes of battery flight time....

2020-8-20
Use props
SR 71
lvl.1
United States

Great suggestions, Flycaster!  I'll print those out and add them to my checklist.

Being an old pilot (single engine air, helo and hot air balloons) I always use a checklist before flying. I'll add your suggestions at the bottom before I take off to remind myself to double check the points you mentioned!  Thank you!
2020-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules