462 5 2020-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burt2796
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73848 ft
United Kingdom

Good Morning everyone,

Yesterday was a sad day as my drone flew off into the distance. I'm after any help that the community can provide. Wind seemed to take the drone off and couldn't fight its way back. I tried my best but no joy. I have checked the find my drone feature and it's not where it says it is. The last known GPS location shows it was 97M up in the air at the time and was connected to 15 satalittes so don't know quite why the GPS data stops there. It was over a field at the time so no obstructions. I have triedt to attach the flight file for everyone but it says it doesn't support the txt format it's in. Does anyone know if DJI have access to a different type of GPS data? It just seems to stop all GPS data but was connected to loads of satellites and in open ground? Thank you for any help you can
Charlie
2020-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wind seemed to take the drone off and couldn't fight its way back.
I have checked the find my drone feature and it's not where it says it is. The last known GPS location shows it was 97M up in the air at the time and was connected to 15 satalittes so don't know quite why the GPS data stops there.
FMD can only show where the app last had contact with the drone.
If it was flying on past there, the drone ended up somewhere else.
Once you lose signal due to distance or obstacles, the app has no idea where the drone went.

I have triet to attach the flight file for everyone but it says it doesn't support the txt format it's in.
Put the .txt file on dropbox or similar and post a link here.

Does anyone know if DJI have access to a different type of GPS data?
You mean data from the drone and the app.
No DJI only has the same data you have and they don't have access to it unless you share it with them.
They don't even know that your drone has been flying unless you upload the data to their server.

It just seems to stop all GPS data but was connected to loads of satellites and in open ground?
Yes .. your drone had access to lots of GPS sats but GPS communication is one-way from the sats to your drone.
Once you lose signal, the drone still has sats but that doesn't help anyone.

Post your data and I'll see what it tells me.

2020-8-23
Use props
Burt2796
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73848 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you very much for replying

Here is the Dropbox link I think

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3j86alah4me8go/DJIFlightRecord_2020-08-22_%5B19-07-38%5D.txt?dl=0
2020-8-23
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a loo at your flightlog too;
It was a windy day in my country as well yesterday....not a flying day for MM.

At height too much wind, MM drifted backwards, see the chart where the missing part is the drifting part when disconnected.
In this part your MM was in RTH facing to HP and drifing backwards, so in 109.7 seconds distance out from HP 1443 to 2905 feet.Easy to calculate speed = (2905 - 1443 feet) / 110 seconds = 13,3 ft/s.
When connected again, thus in RTH mode (purple coloured), still drifting away, what did not help was your aft input instead of forward!

Last recorded distance 3337 feet with 68% battery left, so again in RTH drifting further away, so assuming that the wind is same as earlier drifting speed is known.
Almost impossible to say where it has landed on an autolanding due to critical batt value, see chart3 for roughly calculation the anding spot (orange marker)Hope you had your phone number on the MM or on the SD card.

Lowering height, with probably less wind, could mayby had saved your MM by flying it back in Sport to the HP.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2020-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Burt2796 Posted at 8-23 02:18
Thank you very much for replying

Here is the Dropbox link I think

Your data looks like this:https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/KKLVHDTGFVFKF3D71S2Z/

The news is bad and won't help recover the drone.
At 1:56.2 your mini was only 45 metres away and 53 metres high.
You turned the drone toward home and switched to Sport Mode but didn't do much to fly back toward home and took it further up to 80 metres where it was being blown backwards at 3.5 miles per hour and later up to 110 metres where the wind was even stronger.
For a few minutes your flying is all over the place, still not making any real effort to come back.
But the mini is now 883 metres downwind and drifting further.

At 5:34.9 you initiate RTH.
You also brought the drone down (but only to 103 metres) and oddly tried to fly backwards (going further away).
At 5:45.8 you cancel RTH and go back to Sport Mode, still flying backwards, but later sideways rather than towards the home point.

When signal was lost the drone was >1000 metres away and 93 metres high and being flown further away.

There was a lot of confusion in the way you flew the Mini.
You didn't show much awareness of the potential problem that the wind might be.
You flew off downwind which meant that the return flight would have a headwind.
You weren't aware that the wind up higher was stronger (it almost always is).
You didn't seem to know which way to fly to get back.

What you needed to do was:
1.  Be aware of the wind and not fly so far downwind before coming back.
2.  Once you knew there was a problem you needed to get the drone down low and fly towards home

At loss of signal the drone will have initiated RTH again and tried to get back.
But as the wind was too strong, it will have been blown backwards.
But because when you initiated RTH earlier, you also used the right stick, we can't tell how fast the drone would have been blown backwards in RTH without stick input.

We can estimate how long the drone would have drifted on the wind before landing with critical low battery.
It would have been about 11-12 minutes.
Without any idea of the speed it's impossible to say how far away the drone ended up but a rough guess would be something like 2 kilometres further downwind.
2020-8-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Charlie. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mimi. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules