1437 3 2020-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lumkichi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10423 ft

United States

Hello,
About a month or two back (around June, 2020), I decided to pull out my Phantom 3 Pro, to see if I could go fly it.  I have not used it in nearly a year, so it was whichever firmware from back then.

I charged the remote to 4 lights, charged the intelligent flight batteries to 4 lights.   I turned on the remote and connected it to iPhone and then turned on the drone.  The DJI GO app insisted I perform a firmware upgrade, and it suggested I update using the app and USB cable.  It downloaded the firmware and it started the upgrade.  I did not notice what the version was - it could have been 1.4.20 but I don't remember at all.

After a few minutes the drone was updated (presumably through the DJI GO App, the lightning cable, the RC and wirelessly to the drone) and the app asked to update the remote controller (GL300C, I found out) next.  I let it do so. The LED on the remote controller went blue, accompanied by the beeps.

Again after a few minutes the Remote stopped updating and the beeps changed and the light turned green, but something wasn't quite right.  It was on, but not responsive.  It could not turn off, and the DJI GO app no longer could communicate with it.  Trying to short press, long press did not work.  I kept it pressed.  It took about 10 or 15 minutes of trying various things including disconnecting the USB cable from the phone, was I able to shutdown the remote using the short press, long press.  It had 3 lights at the time.  But that was the last time I saw any lights on the remote.

After shutting it down, I could never turn it back on again.  I tried within seconds of shutting it down; I waited 10 minutes, half hour, a day.  No matter what I did (normal power on, reset combination, etc.) the remote was unresponsive; no lights, no sound.  However, the bottom/back of the remote was always warm - like the battery was discharging.  

I tried putting it back on the charger (and I know the charger is good; it charged up the remote controller once,  alreadyand it had just charged a second intelligent flight battery to full capacity).  The remote would not turn on, nor make any sounds.  I cannot tell if the remote controller battery (GL300C) gets warm when on the charger, however.
I happen to know which version of the firmware it is right now:

P3P_FW_V01.11.0020.bin  ( downloaded from https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info#downloads on 8/23/2020 it says 1.11.20 is the current version 2017)

I know this because I attempted the drone's firmware upgrade by micro ssd today, and saw that the *.txt file says the firmware is already installed.  The RC would have been updated to the same version.

Please help me; what shall I do with this remote?  I cannot do anything with it and can't fly.  I have already tried:

1) charging - no lights (no red/blue/green, no white)
2) short press - no lights (no red/blue/green, no white)
3) short press / long press (no red/blue/green, no white)
4) reset procedure - C1/C2/Record Button, short press long press
5) some undocumented reset procedure - C1/C2/Camera Setting Wheel/Shutter Button, Turn on

Is there anything else I can do to at least try to reinstall the firmware?  I am reading on the PDF that accompanied P3P_FW_V01.11.0020.bin.zip that the Remote GL300C should be updated via Micro SD card rather than USB.  But the application simply went ahead and updated the RC without even trying to stop me.  I didn't know it was an option to update via USB, but the DJI GO app was only too happy to allow it.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Is there a bug in DJI GO app that will allow an unsuspecting user to brick their RC entirely without trying to stop them?

2020-8-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Lumkichi, just to clarify, the firmware for the controller is updating via the DJI GO app since controller firmware 1.3.2, and the latest firmware for the controller is v1.9.2.
In your case, if the controller is unable to turn on and it won't be charged, you may need to send it back for diagnosis and service.
Please start a service case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.
2020-8-23
Use props
Lumkichi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10423 ft

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-23 19:10
Hi Lumkichi, just to clarify, the firmware for the controller is updating via the DJI GO app since controller firmware 1.3.2, and the latest firmware for the controller is v1.9.2.
In your case, if the controller is unable to turn on and it won't be charged, you may need to send it back for diagnosis and service.
Please start a service case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.

Hello Susan,

Thank you for your reply.  I am looking at the website link https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info#downloads  - it is only allowing me to get 1.11.20, and at this point I'm very leery about allowing the DJI GO to perform the update on anything again, lest it brick those devices too...  Is there a direct link to the 1.9.2 firmware?

I bought the DJI through B&H Photo back in 2016, I think.  I'm looking at the service website you posted; it is stating that I might be assessed a $65/hr fee (for every hour?) if I refuse repair after receiving a quote?  I don't mind paying for the diagnostic, if that is what is being said here - but they way it is written, it seems like DJI can hold my unit hostage until I agree to pay...

I'm sure that's not the intent.
2020-8-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Lumkichi Posted at 8-24 09:34
Hello Susan,

Thank you for your reply.  I am looking at the website link https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info#downloads  - it is only allowing me to get 1.11.20, and at this point I'm very leery about allowing the DJI GO to perform the update on anything again, lest it brick those devices too...  Is there a direct link to the 1.9.2 firmware?

The firmware v1.11.20 is for the aircraft. The latest firmware for the controller is not updating by the SD card, it is updating by the DJI GO app.
Please send the unit first, if payment refused, a diagnosis fee might be charged, but if you have any issues at that time, please feel free to let me know, I am here to help.
2020-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules