Dolly Zoom
927 7 2020-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

With the new Zoom capabilities, has anyone tried to do a Dolly Zoom.  I have watched several YouTube videos on it and for some reason, I cannot get it to work.  I put the drone in tripod mode.  I lock on my subject.  I zoom all the way in and then I think I am supposed to move the drone forward and zoom out at the same time.  But it just doesn't work.  I would like to hear from other people that have tried it.
2020-8-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots who owns a DJI Mavic Air 2 can provide you the best recommendation for this inquiry. For additional information for the Dolly Zoom effect  you may want check this Forum post created by one of our valued DJI co pilots. Thank you.
2020-8-25
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is something that requires a little bit of practice to get the zoom out/in speed in sync with the move back/forward of the drone itself. I've done it a few times and it took me a couple of tries to get it right. It's best to record in 1080 so you can have 4x zoom capabilities and use the function button in conjunction with the scroll wheel for best results. The technique is to match the speed of the zoom to the speed of the drone to get the affect. If you are close to the subject, zoom all the way out and then hold the function button, start moving away from the subject for a second or so and then start zooming in. Or if you are far away from the subject, zoom all the way in on the subject, hold the function button, start moving forward and after a second or so start zooming out. Don't forget to start recording prior to doing the maneuver too. Good luck!!

Here's an example of the 3rd attempt I made. While the subject isn't anywhere near anything to write home about, it does show that it works.

2020-8-25
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-25 07:55
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots who owns a DJI Mavic Air 2 can provide you the best recommendation for this inquiry. For additional information for the Dolly Zoom effect  you may want check this Forum post created by one of our valued DJI co pilots. Thank you.

But we need dolly zoom quickshot. And forward and bacward and circle.
2020-8-25
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Niknik Posted at 8-25 08:28

That would make it way easier for sure!! +1 for DZ quickshots
2020-8-25
Use props
Silver31581
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2374357 ft
United States

Niknik Posted at 8-25 08:28

Dolly Zoom Quickshot is an excellent idea!  +1
2020-8-25
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hello,
Otherwise you can do it digitally on première pro and it also works with other software. You select the beginning of your 150 or 200% scale sequence to put a key point go to the end of your sequence reset the scale to 100% and here you have a dolly zoom effect (if you made a forward motion with the drone if your drone makes a rear motion the settings are reversing)
If you shoot in 4k and edited your video at 1080p you have virtually no loss.
It's a digital zoom dolly but the rendering is nice, and it can help if you want this effect on your video editing until one day that the feature is available on the Air2.
2020-8-26
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 8-25 08:23
It is something that requires a little bit of practice to get the zoom out/in speed in sync with the move back/forward of the drone itself. I've done it a few times and it took me a couple of tries to get it right. It's best to record in 1080 so you can have 4x zoom capabilities and use the function button in conjunction with the scroll wheel for best results. The technique is to match the speed of the zoom to the speed of the drone to get the affect. If you are close to the subject, zoom all the way out and then hold the function button, start moving away from the subject for a second or so and then start zooming in. Or if you are far away from the subject, zoom all the way in on the subject, hold the function button, start moving forward and after a second or so start zooming out. Don't forget to start recording prior to doing the maneuver too. Good luck!!

Here's an example of the 3rd attempt I made. While the subject isn't anywhere near anything to write home about, it does show that it works.

Hey thanks, it looks like you have perfected it.  I will try it the way you suggested.
2020-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules