Finland

Which one you suggest? Pros and cons?
2020-8-24
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Wait for Litchi, they have much experience with DJI drones.
2020-8-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Litchi has been around for awhile and is trusted by many in the drone  community.
2020-8-24
Use props
fans55d88441
lvl.2
Croatia

Woe Posted at 8-24 06:03
Litchi has been around for awhile and is trusted by many in the drone  community.

I've actually bought both.
Get DroneLink if you are mostly interested in ultimate flexibility of pre-programmed waypoint missions. Even though Dronelink has support for 'on-the-fly' functions that you decide on while flying, it's currently not it's forte. Functions like follow-me and tracking are planned but no ETA as it's quite outside it's current feature set.

Litchi is currently the complete opposite. It's got much more powerful on-the-fly helper functions (tracking, focus...) but no orbit or complex waypoints. Even though waypoint support is planned, it's would require a significant code update so I don't expect it soon or that it will work excellently in the first version (DroneLink has much more experience in this kind of 'virtual stick' waipoint control and even it is far from perfect).

Neither is ideal even for the functions that are supported. DronelLink doesn't have well tuned motion for the Mavic Mini making movement often a bit too choppy for videography. Litchi's track and follow me are currently very hit and miss.
2020-8-24
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I currently use Litchi and for me its a very user friendly program and is very stable. One thing to remember with Litchi is that when you buy the app it will only work on that OS that you bough it for. You will not be able to use it on an iOS device and an Android device. You would have to to buy 2 copies. Just a heads up.
2020-8-24
Use props
me4esg.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 659442 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji_MODDER Posted at 8-24 03:25
Wait for Litchi, they have much experience with DJI drones.

Dronelink was created by the same dev team that created Autopilot that was around before Litchi.

So, on pure experience (not the best measurement), Dronelink is ahead.

I agree with other comments that they're "different" and are useful tools in different cases.

I do think if you're waiting for Litchi to roll out Waypoints, you're going to wait a long time -- either DJI has to change their SDK or Litchi has to completely change the way it controls the drone.
2020-8-25
Use props
me4esg.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 8-24 09:23
I currently use Litchi and for me its a very user friendly program and is very stable. One thing to remember with Litchi is that when you buy the app it will only work on that OS that you bough it for. You will not be able to use it on an iOS device and an Android device. You would have to to buy 2 copies. Just a heads up.

Dronelink works across all solutions - you do not have to buy separate versions for each platform.

It also includes training that you have to pay for with Litchi...
2020-8-25
Use props
me4esg.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is a quick summary I did on another page:
2020-8-25
Use props
me4esg.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is a summary I wrote for another page for a similar question:

Dronelink: $20 - (IOS & Android - 46+ video training training included)
Litchi: $22.99 - (IOS & Android - Video Training available for purchase - $20-$50)
Red Waypoint: $14.99 - Android only - no video training, but user manual available)

Dronelink:

Built by the developer as Autopilot (videos were done by same person as well). Unique "component based" approach to mission creation allowing for both simple and highly complex mission creation (can do Orbits, waypoints, etc in multiple missions), on PC/Mac/Tablet/and phone (although experience is less than optimal on phone). Built for both Hobbyists and many enterprise clients, there's been many new Mini users as it's the only waypoint/POI solution that works for IOS and Android

Currently fully supports waypoints for all drones (except Mavic Air 2 as there is no supported DJI SDK). "On the fly functions" (fly to points, mark them and it will build a unique mission for you (e.g. orbits, cardinal images, dronee, etc.) Google earth export, import, full command control of all drone, camera, gimbal settings, Litchi import, sharing/collaboration of missions, mission stop/start, and a hoard of other features.

The two features that people have been asking for are "follow" and "offline waypoints". Offline waypoints are not currently possible for the Mini. Still, Dronelink's developer had created this capability for Autopilot in the past and could do it for DL (outside of the Mini). It's on the radar to do. Arguably, you shouldn't be doing missions where the controller cannot maintain connection, but it's understood that there are cases where it makes sense to have the feature.

With the huge influx of users for DL, DL is actively also working on GPS follow and possibly active track, as well as a mode similar what Autopilot had where you could control the camera and let the drone fly its mission (even controlling the yaw as needed) as well as a "focus mode" where you can fly freely and the drone will maintain focus on the item. Also working on smoothing out the occasional jerkiness that can come from older devices mixed with the Mini for small/fast orbits.. Lots to come.

Litchi

A solid DJI Go replacement with many advanced features. Easier than DL to use if you're looking to just get out and fly. Has visual cues that talk you through where you are in mission. An active community of users and a full training video package (although you have to pay for it).

Feature strengths include follow, orbits, and basic, and focus. Waypoint and POI solution works very well - and can be done for almost all the DJI drones. Has a good way to create missions on PC/Web via their Litchi Hub solution.

Big current differentiator is that Litchi supports off-line waypoints - although not for the Mavic Mini. Litchi's waypoint solution does not support the Mini (again, due to the SDK). There have been posts from Litchi claiming that they are working on a waypoint solution for the Mini - but the expectation is that it will be similar to DL's (no off-line capability and using virtual stick).

I personally LItchi useful when I want to do a quick waypoint mission with my M2 or only have my phone to fly with (no tablet).

Red Waypoint

I know the least about this newcomer except that it's an Android only solution that seems to support waypoints for the Mini through a similar virtual stick implementation. Claims to have follow, focus, and other automatic missions. Assuming it does not have offline waypoints for any drones from what I could read.

While you can plan missions offline, does not have a PC/web solution to do so.

I've seen mixed posts on the reliability of Red Waypoint - some said it worked very well, some not so much. Probably (as is DL) tied to the strength of the Android device. Some have said it does the waypoints on Mini but the other functionality would not work. The Android tablet I had would not work reliably with it, so I'd be curious to hear what others say.

It's the least expensive of the options - allows you to get flying for $15.

Summary:

Overall, these software solutions are VERY cheap in comparison to the cost of the drone itself and provide a great deal of power and new functionality. As an IOS user, I have DL and Litchi on all my devices. I (full disclosure - I did the videos for DL) lean toward DL, but again, I do like using Litchi for certain applications and use cases. I tell people to buy them both and keep them as tools in your tool bag as needed.
2020-8-25
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans55d88441 Posted at 8-24 09:06
Dronelink doesn't have well tuned motion for the Mavic Mini making movement often a bit too choppy for videography.

Dronelink’s waypoint function has worked well for me so far. However, as it’s all being controlled by the app, performance depends a lot on the power of the processor in the phone/tablet. Don’t expect the movement to be as smooth with older devices.

Dronelink has full support for the Mini in its release version whilst Litchi support for the Mini is still only currently in beta. It’s also worth noting that Litchi beta support for the Mini is more limited for iOS devices - follow-me currently doesn’t work, for example.

2020-8-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this query. Just a friendly reminder DJI does not recommend using a third application. These applications may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility during flight. Thank you.
2020-8-25
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

vortex19 Posted at 8-25 04:14
Dronelink’s waypoint function has worked well for me so far. However, as it’s all being controlled by the app, performance depends a lot on the power of the processor in the phone/tablet. Don’t expect the movement to be as smooth with older devices.

Dronelink has full support for the Mini in its release version whilst Litchi support for the Mini is still only currently in beta. It’s also worth noting that Litchi beta support for the Mini is more limited for iOS devices - follow-me currently doesn’t work, for example.

Follow Me function in Litchi does not work on iOS devices not only on Mini, but also on other drones. And, apparently, will not be added.
2020-8-25
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I have good results with Litchi, started with my first drone phantom 2 vision+. I was a member for testing it with the vision+.
There was no dronelink and no red waypoint. Everything went smooth on litchi, orbit , waypoints, follow me.
I bought a Spark, later the Mavic Pro. Mavic pro no problems with litchi. Spark took a while when they add orbit and waypoints but Litchi managed it.
I am sure that litchi come up with a full version for the MM as while. The only release when it's stable and safe to fly .
2020-8-31
Use props
Jeppedy
lvl.1

United States

fans55d88441 Posted at 8-24 09:06
I've actually bought both.
Get DroneLink if you are mostly interested in ultimate flexibility of pre-programmed waypoint missions. Even though Dronelink has support for 'on-the-fly' functions that you decide on while flying, it's currently not it's forte. Functions like follow-me and tracking are planned but no ETA as it's quite outside it's current feature set.

Thanks fans55d88441!
That's a  perfectly clear summary of the differences.  So, "Get Litchi if you want to fly manually and get a little help.  Get DroneLink if you want to create your missions on the computer, then have the drone auto-fly it."  Right?
It's good to keep an eye on OnTheFly functions of DroneLink, as it looks to be stepping over that line pretty quickly, and if you are a developer, you can make more functions yourself!
2020-10-30
Use props
djiuser_rV42NHEIGOV0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45974 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
Might be a silly question but if I crash my drone whilst using DroneLink or Litchi, would it still be covered by DJI Care Refresh OR must I be using DJI's app?

Thanks,
Jon
2020-10-31
Use props
egoldy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_rV42NHEIGOV0 Posted at 10-31 07:32
Hi,
Might be a silly question but if I crash my drone whilst using DroneLink or Litchi, would it still be covered by DJI Care Refresh OR must I be using DJI's app?

If it's the software's fault, DL will stand behind the software.  

However, if you create a mission and fly it full speed into a wall, it will crash..  I do know of people have that made claims via DJI's program successfully, but it's usually better to fly safely
2020-11-8
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Does the use of FPV can be guaranteed by both software?
2020-11-8
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-25 08:22
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best information for this query. Just a friendly reminder DJI does not recommend using a third application. These applications may work but we cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility during flight. Thank you.

Unfortunately You can't provide us with working native app. Fly app 1.2.0 broke my drone!
2020-11-9
Use props
D-Jon-I
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45974 ft
United Kingdom

egoldy Posted at 11-8 14:35
If it's the software's fault, DL will stand behind the software.  

However, if you create a mission and fly it full speed into a wall, it will crash..  I do know of people have that made claims via DJI's program successfully, but it's usually better to fly safely

Thanks for replying. My concern was that DJI would ask for the logs, and if logs show a 3rd party app was used, then DJI might say it voids a claim.
2020-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules