Can someone help me figure out what went wrong?
952 9 2020-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Timewave Zero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1017 ft

United States

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone can give me an insight as to what happened to my drone.

I was flying the Mavic 2 Zoom in my neighborhood and when all of the sudden the controller and my phone (OnePlus 7 Pro) notified me that the aircraft was disconnected. There was no obstacle warning, no strong winds. I had eyes on the drone and when I got the notification I looked down and I tried adjusting the antennas and started moving closer to where the drone is (the home distance was 269 feet) thinking maybe just the feed got disconnected and I tried to fly it back using the map but it wasn’t going anywhere. I look up and I could not see the drone in the sky. I got in my car and drove 3 houses down to where the map was telling me the drone is and my neighbor hollered at me and asked me if this was mine and handed me back my drone all broken. The top of the battery case where the led indicators are had come off, and the battery was swollen and extremely hot to the touch. One arm and one propellor had broken off although the arm remained attached via the electrical wires. The sensors were still blinking and there was a hissing sound but I couldn’t figure out if it was the motors or the gimbal. I immediately disconnected the battery from the drone so that it doesn’t keep overheating. I go inside my house and put it on my desk and I start by pulling up the flight log. The battery was not getting cooler even though the inside temperature of my house was 75 degrees. All of the sudden I hear this hissing sound and I look over and the battery has caught on fire and it was releasing a disgusting amount of smoke that filled up my entire house. I went to get the fire extinguisher but by the time I got back there was no more fire and the smoke coming out from the battery was low by then so I just grabbed the trash can and used a Kleenex box lying nearby to shove the smoking battery inside the trash can and I took it outside. The trash can is plastic and the battery literally melted a rectangle shaped hole inside the trash can.
Here’s the weird thing: flight log from AirData shows the last known location near a tree in the front yard of my neighbor’s house and the altitude was 146 feet. That tree is NOT 146 feet by any means. To be sure, I googled maximum height of a sycamore tree and their maximum height is 100 feet (I’ve also cut down many trees in my life, I myself live on over a half acre). While there is some probability that I may have hit that tree, what makes me doubt it is the behavior of the battery that was swollen after the “crash”. Unfortunately I wasn’t recording at the time and the feed didn’t show anything in front of me. When I pull up the flight log in the DJI app, the last location is several feet behind the tree and not on top of it. The drone also didn’t show any signs that it hit any leaves or branches, there wasn’t even dirt on the thing. It’s very bizarre. (I also confirmed that it didn't get shot with a bb gun or anything like that LOL)
I definitely didn’t want to upload the entire flight log for the world to see but I uploaded screenshots of the pertinent information to see if maybe someone is able to help figure out what happened? The drone is my father in law’s drone, and he bought it used from Fry’s. I’m mainly trying to determine if it’s operator error or a battery issue and hopefully perhaps Fry’s or DJI can offer a decent discount on a new one or a replacement. I had been starting to see a drop in battery life and it’s funny because I was researching the issue before I took out the drone. I had been noticing that the battery the last 2-3 times I flew, even though I charged it fully, by the time I take off it would always start at 85% capacity. I always do a pre-flight check and double check the settings before every flight but not long enough for the battery to drop from 100 to 85% in the 2-3 minutes it takes me to perform a full pre-flight check.
I uploaded the notification log to this post. Something happened between 2m26s to 2m57s. I got no obstacle avoidance error even though I was flying in P mode. As far as the rudder response is concerned, flight log data show that no delays longer than 0.4 seconds were found. I uploaded screenshots.
Under “Sensors”, here comes the weird thing… On the signal map, the last known location does not show. The signal strength score was 100. On the GPS, it’s showing one “orange” GPS reception but that was at the initial take off and then it’s all Excellent GPS reception including at the last known location. The compass turn rate was 6.20 which is great.
Under “Power”, it shows no major deviations of the batteries were found. Here’s the breakdown:
Cell 1: 0.7
Cell 2: 0
Cell 3: 0
Cell 4: 2.4
Needless to say the smoke was in our bedroom and I have a pregnant wife and so we had to sleep on a blow up mattress in the living room yesterday night because even though I was able to get rid of the smoke in the house, our room was still a bit stinky so I didn't want her near those. Thankfully she wasn't here at the time of the incident.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like more information please let me know.

1598458530292_regional_screenshot.png 1598458545322_regional_screenshot.png
IMG_20200825_192456.jpg
IMG_20200825_192510.jpg
1598458109013_regional_screenshot.png
1598457983049_regional_screenshot.png
1598402247543_regional_screenshot.png
1598402265146_regional_screenshot.png
1598402272399_regional_screenshot.png
1598402437441_regional_screenshot.png
1598402463689_regional_screenshot.png

2020-8-26
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Without seeing the complete log files, It does look like you had a "suspect" battery.

"Under “Power”, it shows no major deviations of the batteries were found. Here’s the breakdown:
Cell 1: 0.7
Cell 2: 0
Cell 3: 0
Cell 4: 2.4    Is this cell voltage number a typo? If this is not a typo, then this may be your issue.

I am suspecting the battery may be the cause. You said it was purchased "used" from Best Buy,
You have no clue as to it's history, how it was cared for etc. Odds are it was returned to Best Buy after some personbody had "an issue with it",
and your Father in Law got stuck with it. My guess: the previous owner had no knowlege of Lipo batteries and they weren't handled properly.
I doubt you will have any standing on the battery issue. They are kind of a consumable, and only have a 6 month/200 charge warranty from "new".
If you started to notice anomolies with the battery before, that is when when you should eyeball it real close.
Give us the full logs and we may give you something more definitive...
Also, if you have any other batteries from the kit purchase, threat them with extreme caution until the issue is either figured out, or you replace the batteries with new ones.
But the bird is crunched.....

2020-8-26
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

See above...
2020-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Timewave Zero. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom previous flight. Since this unfortunate incident happened on the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. If the said drone is still under the warranty period and it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.
2020-8-26
Use props
Timewave Zero
lvl.1

United States

Flycaster Posted at 8-26 09:03
Without seeing the complete log files, It does look like you had a "suspect" battery.

"Under “Power”, it shows no major deviations of the batteries were found. Here’s the breakdown:

Flycaster,

thank you for your prompt reply. I am beginning to suspect the same thing. Unless it literally struck a bird or some sort of a small insect and the propellers got jammed but then that wouldn't explain the battery's behavior afterwards. I was wrong regarding this being purchased "used" but it was actually an "open box item" which I know doesn't change much. Would this log suffice: https://app.airdata.com/share/ifhWxM ?

Thank you for your help.
2020-8-27
Use props
Timewave Zero
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 19:46
Hello there Timewave Zero. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom previous flight. Since this unfortunate incident happened on the said drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. If the said drone is still under the warranty period and it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for your understanding.

Hi Stephen,

thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how long DJI's warranty is but if it's the standard 12 months, I am literally at 15 months after the purchase date. I went ahead and submitted the incident to the DJI Support Team regardless. I didn't anticipate a reply from the DJI Team but regardless of the outcome, it would be nice to figure out whether it's operator error or a true battery malfunction. Thank you for your assistance.
2020-8-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Timewave Zero Posted at 8-27 09:56
Flycaster,

thank you for your prompt reply. I am beginning to suspect the same thing. Unless it literally struck a bird or some sort of a small insect and the propellers got jammed but then that wouldn't explain the battery's behavior afterwards. I was wrong regarding this being purchased "used" but it was actually an "open box item" which I know doesn't change much. Would this log suffice: https://app.airdata.com/share/ifhWxM ?

Your flight data actually looks like this:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SPNAPIVVO0HZO8FM9X4E/
It doesn't indicate any problem at all.
You were flying full speed in stable flight at 146 ft and then the data stops.
There was no collision in the air.
There was no problem with  battery cell voltages.

Sudden power loss appears to be the reason data stops.
2020-8-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Extremely rare occurrence of total power loss mid-flight and following fire. I'm sorry. Buying a second hand battery/drone is always a bigger gamble ...
2020-8-27
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376050 ft
United States

Sorry to read about your terrible battery experience.  One thing your post definitely highlights is the need for DJI to correct the missing battery temperature data for Airdata display.  It would’ve been especially useful to see prior to your crash.  Apparently this has been a problem for some time, at least for those of us with the smart controller. Maybe someone from DJI will push for an update to correct this issue.
2020-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Timewave Zero Posted at 8-27 09:58
Hi Stephen,

thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how long DJI's warranty is but if it's the standard 12 months, I am literally at 15 months after the purchase date. I went ahead and submitted the incident to the DJI Support Team regardless. I didn't anticipate a reply from the DJI Team but regardless of the outcome, it would be nice to figure out whether it's operator error or a true battery malfunction. Thank you for your assistance.

Hi there Timewave Zero. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. It is great to know that you are able to get in touch with our DJI Support Team. Rest assured that we will do our best to assist you with regards to this matter. Please keep us posted on the said issue for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules