Terribly poor video quality - is this a card issue?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Filip_PL
New

Poland

Hi guys, I don't really use the Phantom stuff because we do aerial filming with bigger gear. But I bought Phantom 3 and I discovered some very poor quality of the footage - sometimes it looks like this example:

(please watch in FullHD)

No post, it's straight from the camera with just rescaling tofrom 4K to full hd and rendered in high resolution in Adobe Premiere. Recording parameters:

- LOG colour profile
- 4K 25 fps
- iso 100
- shutter 800 or something like that
- MOV
- card: Sandisk Extreme 32GB micro microSD HC1

I am thinking, that this card might be too slow. Am I right?

2015-6-22
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Use the card that was provided by dji and see if that works better.

Korzystanie z karty , które zostały dostarczone przez DJI i sprawdzić, czy działa lepiej.
2015-6-22
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Filip,

Please try:
- Use the card provided
- Record the same thing use the automatic (then compare)
- Record as MP4

The camera it not that good processing speed with green, gray and low light. It does look like your movie have all 3 things at once.

If locally looks much better, change your camera settings to record maximum quality (60 mbps if I'm not mistaken), then make sure you tell Premiere  to keep that 60. Youtube will look much better.
2015-6-22
Use props
STPimages
lvl.1

United States

I've done a bunch of research on this over the past couple of days.  Your shutter speed it too fast - this is a type of jello effect.  The shutter for each frame of the video closes before it can scan the whole image, giving you the wobbly, lurchy effect.  To shoot at 24 FPS, you need to have the shutter speed no faster than 1/50th.  In daylight, settings like this will overexpose the video.  Use an ND filter and you'll be able to bring the shutter speed down from your 1/800th to where it need to be.
2015-6-22
Use props
Filip_PL
New

Poland

young.selina and STPimages - thank you so much for your answers. Good to know!
2015-6-25
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Filip_PL Posted at 2015-6-26 05:18
young.selina and STPimages - thank you so much for your answers. Good to know!

You've been given good advice. Additionally, take a peek at

phantomfilters.com

There's some very good hints there as well. Please note I made the reference but I have no $$$ interest in that site - I just think it's good photography/video info.
2015-6-26
Use props
fredp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144482 ft
United States

Hi All: I have been having similar issues that Philip has and I used the card that came with my Phantom3, Professional. It seems when i shoot in low light (like right before sunrise) or in a shady area, the video quality sucks big time. Lots of noise and artifacts and pixelation in my 4K footage..  Yet when I take the drone to a sunny spot and do not change any of the settings the footage looks phenomenal. Just recently I switched out the DJI card and bought a PNY Hyper Performance 32 GB micro card with the hopes of being able to capture faster and allowing more room on the card for longer takes. In addition to the noise my video also seems to pulsate. Would this be because I am taping in the city (Chicago) and the city itself has lots of electronic interference? Any light on this will be greatly appreciated.
2015-8-1
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

You really need some ND filters to get that shutter speed down in bright daylight.
Optimal shutter should be around 50.

Even a good DSLR looks terrible at shutter 800

cheers´
2015-8-1
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I cant see any jello at all in your footage, its good. There is only some stuttering and compression errors and flickering going on. Youtube or your video editing software made something wrong here. Also 25 fps will never look really smooth.
2015-8-1
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you see the large, flashing blocks in the road on your native footage? Is that what you're talking about here, specifically? If that is not youtube doing it, that is a problem. Ironically, I have seen Inspire1s do the same thing with gray buildings in the morning or evening.
2015-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules