582 13 2020-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29101 ft
Russia

Hello everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while even before I got my drone to learn something to prevent some unexpected and bad things to happen.

So I flied my new Mini a couple times already and there is one problem. I saw couple of threads about Mini's flyaway and one of the advices was to see if at the map you (your phone) and the drone are facing in the same direction in the app and in reality. However, I have some problems with that, as these arrows mostly do not correlate. Sometimes it is perpendicularly aligned and then, after a couple of minutes it can become aligned parallel again.

What happens? Can it be bad phone GPS signal or something like that?

2020-9-2
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Try to do a phone compass calibration before you start to flight...... put you phone into the remote control holder connect the cable, and before you power the remote on, do a phone compass calibration!  And then start rc and ac.
For me works every time.
(As well i leave phone GPS on while I start ac until everything is ready for take off, and then I put phone in airplane mode and take off)

Hope it helps/ works.......
2020-9-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Do not use the aircraft postion indicator to check the drone compass.
Open the map view and check the arrow.

Why ?  the aircarft postion indicator uses both compasses, arrow gets the info from the drone compass, the postion on the forward 180 degree scale gets info from the mobile device.

Map view is only using drone compass info.

See the picture ; blue arrow indicates approx heading 135 (N is top of the default map view), for me easy check as my MM was aligned with the water line.So compass my MM was indicating correct.

PS GPS has nothing to do with compass indication!

cheers
JJB
MMcompass check.png
2020-9-2
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi Posted at 9-2 10:34
Try to do a phone compass calibration before you start to flight...... put you phone into the remote control holder connect the cable, and before you power the remote on, do a phone compass calibration!  And then start rc and ac.
For me works every time.
(As well i leave phone GPS on while I start ac until everything is ready for take off, and then I put phone in airplane mode and take off)

Thank you, I will do that on the next flight.
2020-9-2
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

JJB* Posted at 9-2 10:35
Hi,

Do not use the aircraft postion indicator to check the drone compass.
[Image]

Thank you for your reply.
Should these arrows be parallel (the one that shows direction of the drone and the one that shows my direction)? Or I just need to make sure that the drone arrow is facing in the right direction and do not care about what my phone’s arrow shows?
2020-9-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

vkurichenko Posted at 9-2 10:53
Thank you for your reply.
Should these arrows be parallel (the one that shows direction of the drone and the one that shows my direction)? Or I just need to make sure that the drone arrow is facing in the right direction and do not care about what my phone’s arrow shows?

yes, check in the map view the direction of the arrow AND check if this is correct watching the real heading of the craft on the ground.

If the aircraft orientation is wrong for the postion of the arrow in the fwd 180 scale....as long as the arrow is pointing towards the center the craft is flying back home.

cheers
JJB
2020-9-2
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

JJB* Posted at 9-2 11:05
yes, check in the map view the direction of the arrow AND check if this is correct watching the real heading of the craft on the ground.

If the aircraft orientation is wrong for the postion of the arrow in the fwd 180 scale....as long as the arrow is pointing towards the center the craft is flying back home.

I think I get this.
Thank you again.
2020-9-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using please? Kindly please follow JJB*'s advise to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-9-3
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 07:18
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using please? Kindly please follow JJB*'s advise to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
I am using iPhone XS Max.
I may have understood one of the reasons for my “problem”. Compass in the mobile phone is pointing vertically in the direction to cameras and speaker. Therefore, when I place my phone to the remote controller, it turns 90 degrees clockwise. Hence the misalignment.

Anyway, thank you for your concern, I will follow JJB’ advices and will keep an eye on the drone’s arrow in the app and in reality.
2020-9-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

vkurichenko Posted at 9-3 07:29
I am using iPhone XS Max.
I may have understood one of the reasons for my “problem”. Compass in the mobile phone is pointing vertically in the direction to cameras and speaker. Therefore, when I place my phone to the remote controller, it turns 90 degrees clockwise. Hence the misalignment.

Thank you for the additional information. If you have further concern or inquiry. Please feel free to post it at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-9-3
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The compass has always been a bit flaky for me on iPhone xs. Most times it works but occasionally it doesn't. I personally have found if I start the drone and place it in front of me and the controller/device it works. I have had times where I am on a bench or seat somewhere, started the drone to the side of me and placed beside me. In flight the compass starts that direction. I was watching some Mavic Air 2 distance test on Youtube and the guys compass was wrong, he started the drone beside him. Might be nothing in it but give it a try, seems to help for me.
2020-9-3
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

22340179 Posted at 9-3 14:46
The compass has always been a bit flaky for me on iPhone xs. Most times it works but occasionally it doesn't. I personally have found if I start the drone and place it in front of me and the controller/device it works. I have had times where I am on a bench or seat somewhere, started the drone to the side of me and placed beside me. In flight the compass starts that direction. I was watching some Mavic Air 2 distance test on Youtube and the guys compass was wrong, he started the drone beside him. Might be nothing in it but give it a try, seems to help for me.

Thank you for your advice.
You meant that I should try to start the drone a little bit further from me and then fly it back closer to me?
2020-9-3
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

Don't take off from concrete or a road surface.  Get a landing pad and take off from the grass/dirt.
2020-9-4
Use props
vkurichenko
lvl.2
Russia

Electromen Posted at 9-4 01:53
Don't take off from concrete or a road surface.  Get a landing pad and take off from the grass/dirt.
Or from my hand
2020-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules