1787 10 2020-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FSociety_MM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1686558 ft
Colombia

Hello everybody, my first post here.

I've just got my mavic mini and performed my first flight today. I've put several shots together in the DJI app and got this video.

However, I noticed some weird things happening with the lightning, it changes a lot and has flickering, specially in green colors. (most noticeable at 0:50 - 0:58) Do you know what this is? Is it a hardware problem, should I ask DJI for a replacement? Do you think this might be solved using ND filters and manual exposure config?

Thank you, I'll appreciate your help.
2020-9-3
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can't see any video attached but could be an exposure thing. If you don't lock the exposure it is in auto and adjusts itself as the lighting changes. So panning up from ground to sky can change exposure due to light change and is noticeable in the footage. If you lock the exposure (little padlock on bottom right of screen) it will prevent that from happening.
2020-9-3
Use props
FSociety_MM
lvl.1
Colombia

22340179 Posted at 9-3 17:40
Can't see any video attached but could be an exposure thing. If you don't lock the exposure it is in auto and adjusts itself as the lighting changes. So panning up from ground to sky can change exposure due to light change and is noticeable in the footage. If you lock the exposure (little padlock on bottom right of screen) it will prevent that from happening.

Hello, I've edited the post so you can see the video. Thanks
2020-9-3
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Pretty much the same answer.  You obviously had the camera in auto exposure so as a substantial part of the image changes light levels, the camera will adjust.  As 223340179 said, find the level you want and lock it.
Doing what it is supposed to do.
2020-9-3
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

That shot at 0:50 is a very challenging shot due to the fast movement and moving up directly looking into the sun.  I'm making some assumptions here, but these are things that I think could have contributed to the effect seen at that point in the video.

• Did you speed ramp the footage in this section?  Its hard to tell, but it looks like some walkers off in the background may have been unnaturally moving quicker than normal, but I could be seeing that wrong.  If so, I think this has contributed to make the other issues I'm going to mention next a bit more pronounced.
  • Did you have auto white balance set?  If so, I would highly recommend always setting a manual white balance so that as a scene changes (just like the 0:50 example), the white balance isn't constantly changing.  5500K is normal daylight temps, but with cloudiness you may want to adjust a bit higher.  But the most important is to just make sure to set it manually to a fixed value and then you can adjust in post if necessary.
  • Did you have auto exposure set?  If so, you may want to explore using manual settings so that it isn't auto adjusting exposure when you have fast dynamic scenes like the gimbal movement at 0:50 where it goes from the white court to the dark trees, to the bright sky.
  • Did you have an ND filter on the camera?  If not, you may want to look into whether that is something that might be useful for you.  In bright sunshine with a high shutter speed, fast movements like that can be perceived by the brain as having a bit of a strobe effect instead of a super buttery smooth movement that you would get at a slower shutter speed.
  • With the sun towards the front of the camera, it appears like there may be some lens flare happening.  Firstly, make sure your lens is super clean, this will help cut down potential sun flare, but won't completely cure it if the sun is at the right angle(s).  With the fast movements of the gimbal, the lens flare would have been hitting different parts of the lens causing different visual effects.

I'm not 100% sure of which (or all) of these apply, but these are things you can look for.  It is possible that more than one of them came together to cause the effect that you end up seeing in the video.

Hope that helps!  
Cheers!
2020-9-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 9-3 18:56
That shot at 0:50 is a very challenging shot due to the fast movement and moving up directly looking into the sun.  I'm making some assumptions here, but these are things that I think could have contributed to the effect seen at that point in the video.

I was also going to ask about whether white-balance was set to auto or manual, as the sort of changes we are seeing are usually attributed to having the white-balance in auto. Actually, auto white-balance works so badly on DJI cameras I am surprised it is used at all.
2020-9-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lock the EV or use manual camera settings. Cool footage BTW
2020-9-3
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-3 19:49
I was also going to ask about whether white-balance was set to auto or manual, as the sort of changes we are seeing are usually attributed to having the white-balance in auto. Actually, auto white-balance works so badly on DJI cameras I am surprised it is used at all.

Yep, I always have it set to manual white balance.
2020-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. Kindly please check the exposure settings of the camera, please try flying the drone without pointing the camera towards the sun to isolate the issue. Thank you.
2020-9-4
Use props
FSociety_MM
lvl.1
Colombia

Hello guys,

Thank you for your answers, I'm going to take everything you wrote into account on my next video!

I was playing around with Davinci Resolve software and found out that just applying a noise remove node I managed to greatly improve the footage. it seems that the DJI fly app is the one responsible for the weird stuff happening on the first video.
Here's a extract of the problematic parts rendered in Davinci. maybe it needs a LUT to enhance the colors or something but i think is much much better than the dji app.

what do you think?

2020-9-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FSociety_MM Posted at 9-7 12:24
Hello guys,

Thank you for your answers, I'm going to take everything you wrote into account on my next video!

I would say that it is entirely expected, given that Resolve and the FlyApp are at either end of the quality spectrum. Resolve has massive power, whereas Fly is a toy.
2020-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules