Battery Discharge Time Extension?
3160 19 2020-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MADagain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448360 ft
Australia

Anyone else feel like the Mavic Air 2 batteries start to deplete a little too fast? Would be nice to be able to set a custom wait time before discharging... as there have been many time's I've forgotten to charge my Mavic Air 2 batteries the day of and gone to a location to find them nearly depleted.

I'd say if it takes 1 day after being fully charged for them to reach 65% then that shows that DJI don't believe in the quality of their batteries. If they do then let us set it to something longer and provide the user with ample warnings for extending the battery discharge to 5 days before depleting or something, or better yet get the app to warn us when the batteries are about to be depleted (I have no idea, but if the batteries are inserted to the drone start a counter for each one seperately based on the serial numbers... would be a basic starting point since you've added battery information).

I've gotten to the point where I have to make sure I'm travelling further than 1hr away sometimes just to make sure I have enough time to charge a single battery via the car charger...

Better yet, release a battery pack or an accessory that allows us to use the included charge dock with a battery bank? I don't understand why this hasn't been done already... I don't know anyone that has used a Mavic battery to charge their phone, most of us have at least one high powered battery bank. Just a bit fed up at this point in time.
A warning would be nice...

2020-9-5
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

Hi - I'm not 100% sure you're interpreting the self discharge actions correctly. The battery will discharge down to 95% after 24 hours but it should wait 4 days before dropping to 65%. This is to protect the Lipo cells and I don't think it's anything to do with the Quality of the battery - merely good practice given the chemistry involved. Also the charging dock thats included in the combo kits supplies a 5v DC that's standard for USB ports. Handy to charge phones and tablets. It's a one way transfer and doesn't have the circuitry to reverse the process so can't charge the Drone batteries.  
2020-9-5
Use props
MADagain
lvl.2
Australia

Smashey1 Posted at 9-5 08:07
Hi - I'm not 100% sure you're interpreting the self discharge actions correctly. The battery will discharge down to 95% after 24 hours but it should wait 4 days before dropping to 65%. This is to protect the Lipo cells and I don't think it's anything to do with the Quality of the battery - merely good practice given the chemistry involved. Also the charging dock thats included in the combo kits supplies a 5v DC that's standard for USB ports. Handy to charge phones and tablets. It's a one way transfer and doesn't have the circuitry to reverse the process so can't charge the Drone batteries.

My mistake, however it still feels rather annoying to have it auto discharge so quickly.
Also... what, the charging dock charges the batteries when plugged into the wall, I'm talking about the dock itself not the USB port on the wall charger lol (IE, have a DJI port to USB to allow power bank charging, I don't care if I have to buy the beefiest power bank out there I want to be able to charge them on the go and not have to rely on a wall outlet or car charger).
2020-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After 24 hours of the battery being fully charged it will discharge to 96%. After a further three days it will begin to discharge to 60% - that process takes another two days to complete so from 100% to 60% takes nearly a week. Whilst setting the count down would be good leaving batteries at 100% for several days is not advisable. Perhaps adding the countdown feature and capping the limit to 4 days max before discharge would be better given the number of M2 batteries that have swollen lately. That said the loss in flight time taking off from 96% rather than 100% is less than a minute.
2020-9-5
Use props
MADagain
lvl.2
Australia

A J Posted at 9-5 09:35
After 24 hours of the battery being fully charged it will discharge to 96%. After a further three days it will begin to discharge to 60% - that process takes another two days to complete so from 100% to 60% takes nearly a week. Whilst setting the count down would be good leaving batteries at 100% for several days is not advisable. Perhaps adding the countdown feature and capping the limit to 4 days max before discharge would be better given the number of M2 batteries that have swollen lately. That said the loss in flight time taking off from 96% rather than 100% is less than a minute.

That comes down to poorly designed batteries... how many camera batteries that last way longer have you seen swell... yes a different type of battery but still. Can't charge a premium for horrible quality ya know.
It might be... but 2 bars (lowest of 2 bars going on 1) is ~7 minutes lol
2020-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MADagain Posted at 9-5 11:22
That comes down to poorly designed batteries... how many camera batteries that last way longer have you seen swell... yes a different type of battery but still. Can't charge a premium for horrible quality ya know.
It might be... but 2 bars (lowest of 2 bars going on 1) is ~7 minutes lol

You can't really compare camera batteries to ones whereby thousands of mAh's are discharged in a matter of minutes. That is an exceptional drain of power in a very short period whereas camera batteries have a much slower discharge rate.

I have four MA2 batteries with each one keeping my drone in the air for around 25 minutes. I have 21 recharge cycles on each battery with no defects at all. So, in my personal experience, I don't regard them as horrid quality in the slightest - in fact, they perform brilliantly.

You also should never fly with partly charged batteries. It is a renowned fact that these batteries should be used within 24 hours of being fully charged. 2 - 3 days is pushing it but even then the battery will still be at 96%. Thats a drop of 4% which is seconds In flight time. If you leave them to discharge to 60% then you need to fully recharge them before flight.
2020-9-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MADagain Posted at 9-5 11:22
It might be... but 2 bars (lowest of 2 bars going on 1) is ~7 minutes lol

It appears you are not familiar with LiPo batteries. The correct operation is to charge these batteries fully just before using them, and not to leave them lying about with a full charge on them.

They are not similar to other types of camera batteries as they ae specifically designed to power a drone with its high power motor requirements. You cannot compare them with normal camera batteries as they are usually Lithium Ion, not Lithium Polymer. There is nothing 'poorly designed' about the batteries, just poor understanding on your part.

And they are a 3 cell design, with a terminal voltage of 11.55 volts, so normal consumer power banks do not supply enough voltage to charge them. If you want to charge them in the field, use the car charger.

2020-9-5
Use props
MADagain
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 9-5 14:24
It appears you are not familiar with LiPo batteries. The correct operation is to charge these batteries fully just before using them, and not to leave them lying about with a full charge on them.

They are not similar to other types of camera batteries as they ae specifically designed to power a drone with its high power motor requirements. You cannot compare them with normal camera batteries as they are usually Lithium Ion, not Lithium Polymer. There is nothing 'poorly designed' about the batteries, just poor understanding on your part.

Say that to the people who have swollen batteries... these type of batteries might be designed for drones. Though the manufacturing both heat and discharge tolerances are terrible. Especially for the Mavic 2. I may not understand them... but you can't sit there and say that a large portion of batteries being swollen isn't a bad thing.

Plus, I'm also saying ADD A WARNING OR ALARM so that people KNOW when these are about to discharge so they can use them.
DJI know this... why not make ONE THAT WILL. It's forcing people to buy loads of batteries and I'm sick of it.

2020-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MADagain Posted at 9-6 06:30
Say that to the people who have swollen batteries... these type of batteries might be designed for drones. Though the manufacturing both heat and discharge tolerances are terrible. Especially for the Mavic 2. I may not understand them... but you can't sit there and say that a large portion of batteries being swollen isn't a bad thing.

Plus, I'm also saying ADD A WARNING OR ALARM so that people KNOW when these are about to discharge so they can use them.

In settings you can set the time to begin discharge, why do you want an alarm? I set mine to 3 days, then when I am going flying, on the day I charge up two batteries, and when I come home I put them in the case and then 3 days later they discharge.
2020-9-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-6 14:10
In settings you can set the time to begin discharge, why do you want an alarm? I set mine to 3 days, then when I am going flying, on the day I charge up two batteries, and when I come home I put them in the case and then 3 days later they discharge.

Can you tell me for the MA2 where in settings you can set the discharge time???
2020-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 9-6 14:56
Can you tell me for the MA2 where in settings you can set the discharge time???

Sorry no, I don't own one.
2020-9-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-6 15:55
Sorry no, I don't own one.

What you said about changing to 3 minutes is not an option for the MA2.
2020-9-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 9-6 18:31
What you said about changing to 3 minutes is not an option for the MA2.

I think you mean 3 days, not minutes. In any event,m the default time is OK anyway.
2020-9-6
Use props
MADagain
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2020-9-6 18:45
I think you mean 3 days, not minutes. In any event,m the default time is OK anyway.

I still think that's far too short of a timeframe and still shows a lack of faith in their own products... or the design of the lipo battery that they use. I'm not saying extend by much longer but maybe 5 days before it starts to discharge.

It's still weird that it discharges by itself haha
2021-5-15
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

MADagain Posted at 5-15 12:05
I still think that's far too short of a timeframe and still shows a lack of faith in their own products... or the design of the lipo battery that they use. I'm not saying extend by much longer but maybe 5 days before it starts to discharge.

It's still weird that it discharges by itself haha

As already explained here in the forum and every model pilot should know, it is related to the chemical design of a lipo battery, that they should not be operated below 2.8V or charged above 4.2V.
For storage the voltage should be at approx. 3.65V for the most longest life of it.
This is why DJI is taking care of it electronically and that they will not swell if stored away fully charged and forgotton by the pilot.
2021-5-15
Use props
m4st3rm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18114 ft

Germany

Im thinking about buying a mavic advanced for our firefighters (searching people, fireinspection) but what about the lipos in this situation?

I need at least one battery charged any time, if there is such a situation the drone shouldn't start with 67% battery and wait ~ 30min before start isn't an option.
Normaly all equiment is charging all time, what will happen if I "forget" a mavic battery in its (car)charger?  
2021-5-16
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

I don't know if the mavic advance has the same discharge times like the MA2 at every 5 days.
Maybe having two sets of batteries with a charging difference of 3 days, means having an overlap time, you will have allways a full set of fully charged batteries.
Having the batteries always on the charger is not good for the battery life and can also end up in swelling.

2021-5-16
Use props
haxx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12024 ft
Kenya

hey, who here can help, my dji battery won't show any light after flying drone to 0%
2022-1-29
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Either it is scrap now or has gone into some kind of sleep mode.
Have you tried to charge it directly on the charger (not in the hub) ?
2022-1-29
Use props
haxx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12024 ft
Kenya

MySky Posted at 1-29 12:02
Either it is scrap now or has gone into some kind of sleep mode.
Have you tried to charge it directly on the charger (not in the hub) ?

yes i have tried charging it directly
2022-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules