Bird curiosity...
665 12 2020-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hansoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50794 ft
United States

Has anyone in here experienced Bird Curiosity?  While flying the other day I had a medium sized bird take an interest in my flying Mini.  He flew quite close the the drone and seemed as though he wanted to try to interfere with it.  I stopped it's moving flight and decended a bout 20ft and he seemed to lose interest.  Then he decided to have another go at it.  It wasnt a large bird and was only slightly larger than the drone.  I decided to drop to ground until he left the scene.  I know lots of birds are migrating now and a rather large group of the same bird passed overhead shortly after.  Was fun to watch but at the same time a little unnerving.  All ended well.  I know there are pics of drones being attacked by large birds but I'm just curious if others here have experienced something simular.
2020-9-10
Use props
hansoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50794 ft
United States

Oh wow, I guess a simple search of the forum would have answered my question.  
2020-9-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there hansoff. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that birds are part of our environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Thank you and please fly safe always.
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing - I've thankfully never been hit by a bird strike but they have come close. I've read the best action to take is actually to increase altitude as birds fly downward to catch
2020-9-10
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I've been meaning to write about this for a long time, but I had forgotten about it.  Here are my experiences and discoveries about certain birds:

Common crow:  My first encounter with a bird.  It hovered one foot in front of my Mini for about three seconds and then swooped under it.  I wish I had recorded it.  It was cool to see such a large bird flying in place for that long.  I think it was truly curious to see the drone and was thinking, "I can hover too!"

Martins and swifts:  A lot of people think that they try to harass and attack drones, but that's not really the case.  These birds eat insects and a lot drones sound like a swarm of bees, especially the Mavic Mini.  So they think that there is a swarm of bees right where the drone is and will swoop around trying to get them.  They will follow the sound of the for a while.  It can get scary and dangerous when there are six or more looking for bees near the drone.

Often times these birds will circle and swoop me when I'm mowing the yard (it's actually a pasture) and catch grasshoppers, crickets, beatlles, mill moths, and various other insects that leap and fly out of the way.

Humming birds:  Last month I had four ruby throated hummingbirds circling my Mavic Mini all at the same time!  What a cool thing to see.  Again, they think there is a swarm of bees somewhere near the drone.  I was recording at the time, but they were so fast that the camera on the Mini didn't capture the action.

By the way, a swarm of bees is a great treat for birds.  They are generally more docile than at other times, plus they are full of honey.  When a colony of bees split, about half of them suck as much honey from the hive as possible and swarm and the queen look for a new place to live.  That's the swarm the birds go after.  I used to keep bees before the colony collapse thing.

Mocking birds:  Be careful.  These are quite common around here and actually will attack.  I had one chase my Mini once.   Very annoying.

Mourning doves:  I've had one swoop encounter with a mourning dove.  They are incredibly fast and will bother your drone.  I'd be careful around these and pigeons.

Red-tailed hawk:  I have these circling around every now and then.  I've seen mocking birds attack them relentlessly.  And I've chased them off my property with the Mini.  They can swoop down fast, but can't climb in altitude fast at all.  I think they mostly hunt squirrels and rabbits.  I'll be careful with them in the future.
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Duck Posted at 9-10 06:44
I've been meaning to write about this for a long time, but I had forgotten about it.  Here are my experiences and discoveries about certain birds:

Common crow:  My first encounter with a bird.  It hovered one foot in front of my Mini for about three seconds and then swooped under it.  I wish I had recorded it.  It was cool to see such a large bird flying in place for that long.  I think it was truly curious to see the drone and was thinking, "I can hover too!"

Great info - do you know any more details on eagles?
2020-9-10
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

A J Posted at 9-10 07:14
Great info - do you know any more details on eagles?

Eagle might eat your mini for lunch - or at least try...
2020-9-10
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Common crow:  My first encounter with a bird.  It hovered one foot in front of my Mini for about three seconds and then swooped under it.  I wish I had recorded it.  It was cool to see such a large bird flying in place for that long.  I think it was truly curious to see the drone and was thinking, "I can hover too!"

Thanks for all the knowledge you posted!
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 9-10 07:17
Eagle might eat your mini for lunch - or at least try...

I was thinking more about my Inspire
2020-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive had a few seagulls attack my M2P.  They get quite aggressive.
2020-9-11
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Interesting reading here, I had a few close calls (by swallows, pigeons and others) but it didn't look like attack more like a fly by...
2020-9-11
Use props
Mashroomhut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2760791 ft
Poland

Common crow:  My first encounter with a bird.  It hovered one foot in front of my Mini for about three seconds and then swooped under it.  I wish I had recorded it.  It was cool to see such a large bird flying in place for that long.  I think it was truly curious to see the drone and was thinking, "I can hover too!"

Hi, The Duck!
That is very informative. I've observed that my Mavic Mini attracts swallows. Perhaps it is due to the sound. In Sommer time the MM pilots should be aware of the birds. In case of collision both birds could be injured.
2020-9-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Birds are attracted to our drones for various reasons.  I had a hawk that seemed to always be present when I went out to my land located outside of town to do some uninterrupted flying.  I usually ascended and he would go away.  However, when I finished flying and descended he would reappear and buzz my drone.  After many weeks of this I got tired of it happening so I took action and the hawk is no more.  Don't ask how.  LOL.

You definitely have to be careful of birds around your drone.
2020-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules