MA2 descending as it gets far from remote- WHY ?????
572 13 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hi,
I have noticed an interesting fact:
If I set the drone at minimum altitude and i send it away a few meters (maybe 20 m), the drone is getting VERY CLOSE to the ground...So close that i stopped it as seems that will CRASH!...
The high at starting point wat almost 0.5m...when i stopped it, was like 20 cm from ground!!!
How this can happen, DJI ? There is a sensor under, sensor that should and suppose to work no matter what!...also IR sensors...
Thanks.

Is D-Cine, not wasted time to edit...
2020-9-13
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

The distance from the controller is irrelevant. The MA2 will try to hold its altitude as measured by the GPS and barometric pressure, it isn’t trying to maintain a consistent altitude above the ground. And the GPS and barometric pressure don’t allow very precise positioning.
2020-9-13
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

It seems quite obvious from the video that there is a slight incline on the road. The drone is maintaining constant attitude using barometric pressure but the ground itself is rising.
2020-9-13
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

So practically if i go to higher ground the Sensors from below will not detect the ground and will hit it?
2020-9-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

GPS and Baro are not in play much at that low an altitude. The IR transmitter/receiver pair on the bottom should be measuring the height.  The on-screen height display does not show that value. What does the log file say? Be aware than on some web sites, that will be labeled as SONAR although it is not sound-based. I really don't see much change in altitude in the video. I have noticed that when going "uphill", the MA2 will adjust upwards to compensate in order to keep the height above ground somewhat constant and safe, but will not reduce height going "downhill"...at least in my experience
2020-9-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-13 12:30
GPS and Baro are not in play much at that low an altitude. The IR transmitter/receiver pair on the bottom should be measuring the height.  The on-screen height display does not show that value. What does the log file say? Be aware than on some web sites, that will be labeled as SONAR although it is not sound-based. I really don't see much change in altitude in the video. I have noticed that when going "uphill", the MA2 will adjust upwards to compensate in order to keep the height above ground somewhat constant and safe, but will not reduce height going "downhill"...at least in my experience

Don't you think the compensation going uphill might be APAS kicking in???
2020-9-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

George210477 Posted at 9-13 09:16
So practically if i go to higher ground the Sensors from below will not detect the ground and will hit it?

APAS should have made it climb if you had Obstacle Avoidance on.  With the new Safety Assistance Indicator on the app screen it's easy to accidently tap it and find you've turned APAS off or gotten into Braking/Hover mode.  It almost looks like Brake/Hover took over in your video.  Are you sure you came off the controls and it wasn't Obstacle Avoidance taking over???  Like the third option below???
2020-9-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 9-13 12:48
Don't you think the compensation going uphill might be APAS kicking in???

No,  I just verified that it is not by turning it off and repeating my test. And, the Mini does the same thing and has no such system.
2020-9-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Again and again, the user is expecting the performance this drone is not capable of: to automatically maintain constant AGL during fast low flight. Although technically possible with narrowly specialized hi-tech robotics, MA2 doesn't belong to this category ...
2020-9-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-13 13:09
No,  I just verified that it is not by turning it off and repeating my test. And, the Mini does the same thing and has no such system.

Thanks for the flight test!!!
2020-9-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 9-13 13:16
Thanks for the flight test!!!

...................Disregard
2020-9-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-13 13:09

I'd be interested to see what would happen if you started 10 meters above the ground and flew into rising terrain.
2020-9-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 9-13 13:19
I'd be interested to see what would happen if you started 10 meters above the ground and flew into rising terrain.

I'm not sure I can help there. I am in Florida and the max elevation here is about 200 feet and 100 miles away ;-). Here is a very short video of the Mini rising about 6-8 inches. It appeared much more obvious when seen from behind the drone. Raining here right now, but I may do another separate video later. I did notice that it does not drop to maintain height, only in a rising ground situation. They work the same in forward or reverse.

2020-9-13
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Will try another test... T and P mode... Here we are the City between 7 hills, plenty of ups and downs ))
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules