Quickshot Circle: what will the circle be?
850 19 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi all, newby here.
I am learning to fly my new Mini and having lots of fun, flying in the castle garden, which is nice and big, open to public, and sometimes totally empty. Great for newbies to practice.

When I had worked up enough courage, with the Mini hanging over the garden I selected the Circle quickshot and selected the castle. A nice green square formed around the building on my screen. Start!
However, the circle did not have its center in the inner courtyard at all, but rather in the middle of the wall facing me. This is what the track looks like:

Circle quickshot around castle smaller than expected

Circle quickshot around castle smaller than expected

Having selected the whole building and seeing it 'confirmed' (made green), I had expected a larger circle.
If I had not had the foresight (or luck?) to 'hang' the Mini well above the highest points of the towers before I selected Circle, the Mini would perhaps have chopped off the weather vane of one of them. Or it would have crashed into it. Yes, that sounds more likely.

Anyway, no harm done at all (in fact, the shot came out quite nicely), but the question for me now is: What exactly does Circle do? Can I know beforehand what the circle will look like? Apparently, just selecting a point as the center won't work; the Quickshot logic will still do something with the whole object.
Thanks; Rudolf

2020-9-13
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

it doesn't work well with buildings, it is only for people and smaller objects...larger ones result in mini drawing near them and if not careful you might have a real close shot.
2020-9-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could be wrong about this, but I think the drone uses GPS a lot in this process. GPS is even mentioned in a way in the manual, although not explicitly as the basis for it. If that is the case, it did keep the wall in the center as intended. It is interesting to note that the manual says to avoid nearby buildings ;-)

disclaimer.png
2020-9-13
Use props
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

My, that was quick. Thanks both for your answers! @GaryDoug, touché. It does say so right in the manual, also in the Dutch translation that came with mine. But I had foolishly taken this only as a warning to check the intended path for objects. I stand corrected!
2020-9-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-9-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

welcome, and many happy landings!

cheers
JJB
2020-9-14
Use props
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thank you. You will centainly see me again here. What a nice forum.

Oh look, I found out how to upload to YouTube. This is the actual Circle quickshot I was talking about.
See how pretty (and empty!) the garden is? And the orchards and rose gardens to the sides of the main garden come with it. Plenty of room to play drones and have some fresh air.

2020-9-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

R.Hooijenga Posted at 9-14 13:04

Oh look, I found out how to upload to YouTube. This is the actual Circle quickshot I was talking about.

It will not open for us. You have to change the YouTube setting to something other than Private. You can use Unlisted if you only want people with your link to see it. If you want everyone to be able to see it, use Public. I usually make mine Unlisted so that only people in this forum have access.
2020-9-14
Use props
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

A J Posted at 9-14 09:24
Thanks for sharing

Well, that was silly of me. I really thought I set it to public, must have put it back to private while tinkering with the video settings. It is Unlisted now like you suggested. Hope this works! Thanks.
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there R.Hooijenga. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. In addition to these thread please do note use Quickshot in any of the following situations :
- When the subject is blocked for an extended period or outside the line of sight.
- When the subject is more than 50m away from the drone.
- When the subject is similar in color or pattern with the surrounding.
- When the subject is in the air.
- When the subject moves fast.
- The lighting is extremely low ( <300 lux ) or high ( > 10,000 lux ).
Thank you.
2020-9-14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - awesome video - good work
2020-9-14
Use props
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thanks again all for the kind words and helpful information!
2020-9-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Very Nice area and video!
2020-9-15
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Nice video. Close call though
2020-9-15
Use props
djiuser_YOZoFpdlWBla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

All I can say is WOW !. That was a really nice circle around.
2020-9-15
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

R.Hooijenga Posted at 9-15 02:35

That's a great video.  I'll add that when doing the 'circle' quickshot, the focus doesn't account for the depth of the object, this works great with people, but if you focus the circle on a building it will circle the spot, not the entire building.  
2020-9-15
Use props
R.Hooijenga
lvl.1

Netherlands

> Nice video. Close call though
> [...] a really nice circle around.
Thank you! Well, it was closer than I had anticipated, but the Mini was actually above the highest point of the building. But yes, it looks dangerous.

> if you focus the circle on a building it will circle the spot, not the entire building.  
I think that is the important thing I learned about this quickshot. If I keep that in mind, I'll be OK. Great!
2020-9-16
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Yes, if it can't distinguish the background from the foreground, it wont work as planned.  It will work however on a person or a smaller object.
2020-9-16
Use props
Dangerous one
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147034 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks all Iv posted about trouble getting the green spot to turn into a square this does seem to relate to my issues so learned something also great video
2020-10-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

R.Hooijenga Posted at 9-15 02:35

You're welcome
2020-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules